This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traded the Gleaner A85 off this weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:21am
Originally posted by ILGLEANER ILGLEANER wrote:

Redline people will never know the feelings that people like you and me have. Very few are affected the way we are. I knew where my heart was the whole time,but I also know how great it would have felt to,say I washed my hands completely of them,and kiss my ass goodbye. But it really sucks knowing there will never be another new orange tractor on this farm after years and years,of them.
                                              IG
I understand on how it feels. Think about it how stinks to be a starting farmer. The dream of carrying on the tradition of buying orange tractors. Thinking a year and a half ago the orange was back like it use to be and then get a kick in the groyn. Even with all that is happening, with loosing gleaner and the company in the future. I don't know about other people but I'm still proud of the orange tractor. If it says AC or AGCO i'm proud of them.  
Sponsored Links

Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:35am
I understand your deal IG.  I got a good trade in price on my RT about a year ago from a New Holland dealer.  I got the good price probably because their also a MF dealer.  I got trade in prices at two other dealers McCormick and Kubota, that had no clue on the AGCO tractor and offered a price substantially lower.  As much as I want(ed) things to work out I couldn't take that big of a hit.  If my RT doesn't sell though I'll probably go back to that dealer and see if we can work it out.  Maybe I should call you Jim.  You have MF and New Holland!

I'm totally on board with you Jim.  You know I totally agree with the one AGCO brand with multiple colors at least in NA.  I also feel the same way about Deere.  A good Deere dealer could convert me but it seems like their all corporate now.  My first tractor toy I got from my grandpa was a JD 4010 and I still have it.  But, my perception of orange farmers are their practical.  Red farmers, I've known, are friendly, skinny and some smoke.  Green farmers are typically arrogant.  Honestly I don't know any blue farmers personally but there seems to be tons of dealers.

Also, at my grandmas funeral a couple years ago I talked with the old AC dealer owner that is a friend of the families and was at the funeral.   Somehow we talked about Deere and he had tears come to his eyes when he talked about how badly they were maligned by Deere people with the rotor baler.  I didn't get into it but it seemed typical to what I've experienced. 

I like that Deere is an American company and makes a lot of products in America still.   I can see going there possibly but it'd take an act of God. 
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:36am

IG it's good to see you hanging in there. I feel like you do with AGCO. But like Jim said its the old AC dealers that have me still running with Silver and Orange. I can call them and usually its the owner I talk to and they will know the problem, the part, how to fix it, and if they have to order parts they will have them shipped to me not the dealer, and talk to you like a farmer talking to another farmer, without going though a bunch of channels. I won't even buy a spray tip from my local JD dealer anymore. They are business only, run by collage kids that have never farmed, and have to talk to several of them to get to what I need, then it will be the wrong part after several days of waiting. Thats what I like about the old independent Allis dealers, they are my last hope. 

Hope you have good luck with the 86 and have a very good year, and I hope to get up your way this winter.  
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:37am
BTW - Did you get your AGCO advantage magazine.  Two articles of note: A) all their pioneering of previous brands and on from MF mentioned.  B) They had their dealers and some farmers say color doesn't matter and won't affect sales.  Guess they know best! LOL
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:53am
I guess that is Robert Crain's way of thinking, I believe he is AGCO in North America's Trojan horse. He's from my area and does not have Allis, AGCO, or their customers in his best interest. His family still owns the old Ford now NH dealership.
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Byron WC in SW Wi Byron WC in SW Wi wrote:

BTW - Did you get your AGCO advantage magazine.  Two articles of note: A) all their pioneering of previous brands and on from MF mentioned.  B) They had their dealers and some farmers say color doesn't matter and won't affect sales.  Guess they know best! LOL
I wish they would have mentioned the early pioneering work with no till farming practices and the early work with air planters. White and Allis Chalmers were developing very accurate planters before it was "cool". It won't be mentioned in the next Advantage publication-because there won't be any more.
It looks to me like the innovations mostly came from the Allis and White heritage. Not a lot from the massey side.  Massey had the "Harvest Brigade" during the second world war. While everyone else was gearing up for the fight of our lives it was pretty much business as usual for massey the way it appears to me.

Edited by redline - 08 Dec 2010 at 9:41am
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:41am
Originally posted by redline redline wrote:

Massey had the "Harvest Brigade" during the second world war. While everyone else was gearing up for the fight of our lives it was pretty much business as usual for massey the way it appears to me.

There were inside deals and pay offs (as usual in private government contracts) that got Massey the right to build those harvest brigades during the war. The quota rules didn't apply to Massey like they did to AC. AC was better at mass production than Massey.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
nowversatile View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowversatile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Byron WC in SW Wi Byron WC in SW Wi wrote:

Read the part where the magazine will be consolidated into "Farm Life". Translation: no consolidation, just get the vaseline out, it will be all MF from here on out!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:30pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A series a derrivative of the old White 9700 that was sold to MF before Agco came along? Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:32pm
RedLine, Massey built a lot of equipment for the war effort.  It is pretty rude to imply that they are somehow cowards because they produced combines during the war.  I understand you are not happy with Massey for the simple fact that they are alive but that is getting a little ridiculous.
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:38pm
If that is the case, I stand corrected. It is strange they were granted a running start on everyone else on the self propelled harvesters.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:03pm
Redline:
I believe that Massey actually excelled in self propelled combines mainly due to their Austrailian aquisition of the Sunshine Harvester company.
For war production they built, M5 and M24 tanks, wings for Mosquito fighter bombers, artillery shells, gun mounts, truck bodies for Brens,  four wheel axles, airplane fittings, tractors for airplane tugs and to supply airplanes, etc.  Because Canada is part of the Commonwealth, they were being built for 2 years before the US even joined the war.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:08pm
ILGleaner.  When you were in the market for an MFWD tractor, did you look at a Versatile?  If so, what did you think?  I knew you got a Versatile articulated tractor.
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 2:12pm
I offer my apologies.
I am still disgusted with the current state of affairs, however.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

RedLine, Massey built a lot of equipment for the war effort.  It is pretty rude to imply that they are somehow cowards because they produced combines during the war.  I understand you are not happy with Massey for the simple fact that they are alive but that is getting a little ridiculous.

I didn't say they were cowards. Currupt, yes. Cowards, no. I read it in one of the Plow Peddlers articles once I believe. Very believable as corruption and back room deals are the norm when it comes to private government contracts. I don't see it as ridiculous at all. They based your allowed steel quotas for farm production on the previous sales of the last few years before the war. Massey was exempt from the rules. Allis wasn't. Allis could have built those combines just as easily and probably faster IMO. It was a back room deal. 

Excuse me Spud, as I see your comments were not directed at me. Sorry.

Edited by Lonn - 08 Dec 2010 at 2:59pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Jim NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm
Glad to see you stayed with Gleaner.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:50pm
No worries Redline.  I am disappointed that they dropped orange too.  I believe myself that Agco should be offered in multiple colors like a Valtra.  I will still buy from Agco though as I like Massey too.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:52pm
Lonn, I am 99.9% certain that AC has done plenty of shady under the table work.  Especially dealing with electrical generation turbines and equipment.  Those big sales of farm equipment overseas would be the result of payoffs too.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:53pm
Lonn.  I am not knocking AC for it.  It is unfortunately the way that a lot of that business works.
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

Another reason is I went to a local community college for a farm implement mechanics course.  It was a great program, you were taught the fundamentals of all brands of products.  There was also a John Deere sponsored course at the same school.  A few years ago they dropped the all-brands course and kept the Deere program due to larger class sizes.  There are alot of things that bother me about the course, first off you have to take preliminary tests to get into the program, meaning you have decent book smarts.  Many of the mechanics that I know that took the regular program wouldnt have made it past these tests but are wonderful mechanics just the same, I'm sure better ones than some of the guys that come out of the Deere program.   Another thing that gets me is Deere provides training for the instructors and machinery for the students to work on.  In the other program local dealers and other machinery brands provided training and equipment just the same and didnt get their name on the program.  Also this is a tax funded school.  Funding for the instructors wages, office suppies, facility and etc either comes from tuition aor tax funding.  When you drive by a tax funded "community college" and see a John Deere dealer sign hanging on the building it puts a sour taste in your mouth.  Basically cheap advertising for Deere.
I am a graduate of one of these john deere programs. I have a different opinion on a number of your points. First, after almost 10 years, its clear to me that the ones who cant handle the other classes and tests can't handle working with todays equipment. Mechanics aren't the "grease monkeys" they used to be and need to be a lot smarter. My teacher told me the only difference between a doctor and a technician is that the doctor doesnt have to wash his hands before using the bathroom. Second, when i was in school, all our projects came from the dealers, students, or local farmers. As far as money goes, deere puts a ton of money into the school, and without it, i doubt there would be an ag equipment program at all. Thats probly why the generic brand courses were killed. Companies like deere have been printing textbooks and funding schools for as long as they've been around, and if they get some advertising out of it, i'm okay with it.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by benk8680 benk8680 wrote:

The problem is deere will subsidise the pay of the "greenhorns" so the dealers just use them for cheap help and then throw them away when the next batch comes along! kinda like the state payin for you to hire ex-prisoners!

Interesting you should bring that up. I know a young man who has worked on my farm since he was about 8, his dad is one of my best friends. He's a pretty good mechanic and a go getter. Anyway he started at our local JD dealer as part of the high school work program. The understanding being that he and another employee would start at a comunity college on the Deere program, the dealership would pay for tuition and tools to complete the program and they would deduct the cost from their pay. Sounded pretty good. But now they can't afford any more techs (ie: graduates) so the deal is off, but he's welcome to stay and keep working for a little over minimum wage.
benk8680 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benk8680 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:43pm
Sometimes the best mechanic are ones that can learn without being "taught", Ive got a 20 yr old amish kid that went to the 8th grade that will outwork and can do anything any of these kids out of tech college can do including fix anything, weld, machine parts, and yes run a computer!!
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:48pm
HIGHJACKED!!!!! LOL
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Steve M C/IL Steve M C/IL wrote:

HIGHJACKED!!!!! LOL
I'd say, why is it everytime john deere is mentioned around here all heck breaks loose and amish kids start programming computers?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

Lonn, I am 99.9% certain that AC has done plenty of shady under the table work.  Especially dealing with electrical generation turbines and equipment.  Those big sales of farm equipment overseas would be the result of payoffs too.

I have no doubt about that. Just stating what I read. Like I said, private government contracts all chucked full of corruption. I had an uncle who made his living on government contracts and even though he was small potatoes he said he couldn't help making money and once you had the connections it was easy. Once he told me he made $500 per air conditioner unit he removed from a government housing building. They were all window units and most were good working units so he gave my folks a couple and sold a couple hundred at auctions around the country. Our tax money paid for that. Not saying he was corrupt but something is wrong. That was 25 years ago.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by powertech84 powertech84 wrote:

Originally posted by Steve M C/IL Steve M C/IL wrote:

HIGHJACKED!!!!! LOL
I'd say, why is it everytime john deere is mentioned around here all heck breaks loose and amish kids start programming computers?

No matter what you say I will never ever buy a Deere, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, you can't make me, whew.............watching too much Bart Simpson lately.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 12:14am
Man I wished I hadnt opened my mouth! lol

Powertech84, this program does not do 'live work' like what your program did.  The do setup a few pieces of equipment but do not work on any active farm equipment.  I can understand JDs involvement with the program, BUT when tax dollars are involved there should not be any corporations names on the program.  Also the students attending cannot do their on the job training at any other brand of store, they have to do it at a Deere store.  As far as technicians, I know several that didnt do well in a classroom environment, but in the field they are geniuses in the fields of troubleshooting, computers and mathematics.  Some people are just better at hands on then on paper. 

If John Deere wants to promote such a program then why not do the shop and mechanical teaching on their own in their own facility and hook up with a community college for the related courses?  Im also not saying its not a good program, but I am saying if Deere wants their name on it then by right it should not be on public funded property.

Jim 
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 12:47am
lonn...i had a deere dealer owner tell me the same thing back in the 90's. didn't like it then, and still don't like it now! and...i'm about ready to return to gleaner and trade off my red playthings! even tho the red dealer has treated me very good, the machines really haven't! and i've never seen anyone that wears a deere cap that there wasn't an a**hole under the cap!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 12:48am
don't gits me started!!!!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 5:57am
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

lonn...i had a deere dealer owner tell me the same thing back in the 90's. didn't like it then, and still don't like it now! and...i'm about ready to return to gleaner and trade off my red playthings! even tho the red dealer has treated me very good, the machines really haven't! and i've never seen anyone that wears a deere cap that there wasn't an a**hole under the cap!

Having worked at both an Allis Dealer and a CaseIH dealer I know I'd take a Gleaner over an Axial flow. Those Axial flows are spendy to upkeep. Gleaner to me is a bit heavier built. Just compare the frame of a 2366 to an R52 or 62 series frame. Gleaner used kevlar belts early on and chromed sprockets too where Case didn't. Maybe since then things have changed.

I have a relative that traded his M3 for a 1640 and he was very disappointed. Then he got a 1666. That was better but the repair costs every year are killing him. He's stuck nearly $20,000 into that thing in the last 2 years. Before the red machines, other than a valve going bad in the hydro of an F2 he had, he never took his Gleaners to the dealer for repair. Hestarted with a K back in the 70's. Then an F2 gasser (that one did burn from rotten fuel hose breaking and spaying onto distributor) then an F2 diesel hydro and then his M3. He's been kicking himself about trading his M3. He's stuck with red cause there is no close dealer of any other make around green included. Close for him is less than 35 miles.

Edited by Lonn - 09 Dec 2010 at 5:58am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic