This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Track Chain Mod M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1952Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track Chain Mod M
    Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:22am
Does any one out there have any data on chain rail links for Mod M
What I would like to know if there is any cross over numbers to new made links like Berco or any other makers ?
What I do know is not much is that there are 3 types AC made for the Mod M . The first type used on tractors prior to sn. 4142 had rails 1" wide Part no. 045001 right side bar 045002 left side bar .31 of each side of bar for one track.
Then the second type rail bars used on tractors sn.4142 threw 12569 had rails 1.25"wide part No. 031651 left bar & 031652 Right bar .
Then the third type used on tractor after numbers 12560 1.25" wide rails as well but look to be a little bit stronger on the bolt hole side. Also if any one knows of any useable track chain or track 18 inch wide shoes or under only really need one good chain my grousers (shoes )are all good .Any leads would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 3:21pm
Track pin diameter 1 1/4" Track bush diameter 1 7/8" my parts book shows all  track bolt diameter at 7/16 .Early rails could be split any where no master link last type had a master pin and could only be split in 1 place.

Edited by everett048 - 24 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm
1952Dan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1952Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:06pm
Thanks for your reply .So from what you said the pins on last mod must be mushroomed over some what on ends so they can not be moved .So if a repair is needed the pins must be drilled out and replaced with a master pin ?   One whole side track looks real bad it is an old 1" rail kind and most links are cracked ,Bushings worn to pins .and all the grousers look fine . So looking for one good chain .The other side has been replaced with a later 1.25" wide rail link type. It shows no wear on the bushings and looks happy .
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 2:14pm
The master pin is around 1/8" longer than the rest of the pins if you heat the rails around the pin and have a helper with a Big Hammer then punch it out best to take two plates off and have the master pin nr the back of the sprocket and then pound it out we have done it several times.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 3:07pm
Has scratching my head where is the matching good chain? Someone only had money for one new chain buy the other later?

Oh well who am I to ask such questions,I have a HD5 one chain had new pins and bushings and the other had them turned. I do know the reasoning on this,Uncle bought it new farmed with it.Planted 500 to 600 acres a year summer fallowed similar acreage,all with HD5 an a JD A. Most fallow acreage was worked with a one way disc(for Canadians a discer) always ran with the track in the furrow. Had a total rebuild at the time to turn bushing in track(had a real good year I think)he wanted new dealer said turning would give more service for the dollar spent. Well in this case turning was fine,out of ajustment at this time on both sides. Needs new chain if I keep running it. The track has more side ware than any other track chains I have observed,from the running in furrow I guess.
WM5377 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WM5377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 4:20pm
Anyone have the info the OP was looking for? any cross reference for replacement chain?
Need minimum of 2 replacement chains for our M.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic