This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tough Old Dodge!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tough Old Dodge!!
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:30pm
Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:17pm
What a rugged machine that was. Ain't nothing built today, automotive wise that could compare.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:38pm
And didja see them mules move outta the way?  they wasn't stuck, they just thought they was stuck!  Just need the right racket, behind them, to encourage them to move...Wink
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:32pm
GEES... that's some testimony !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:21pm
my son bought a new Dodge truck last fall for his business. I don't know Dodge labeling, but it would be a equivalent to a Ford 350-450. had snow plow package, and light bar, and a few other aftermarket stuff put on it, all done by Dodge. Dodge has had the truck more than he has at this point, (literally!) currently they have had it for the last 60 days straight.....and they told him the parts they need Dodge will not release! The dealer that sold the truck gave him a real hard time, tried to blame him, tried to charge him for their time working on it.
He took it to a dealer that the sales manager and he had a relationship with from previous business. They are not giving him the BS the first dealer did, but it still isn't getting fixed. The sales manager told him he has many, many new trucks on the lot he cant sell because they are suffering from similar issues, computer or wiring problems.
He missed a whole season of winter maintenance with it, and now he is into construction season and needs it bad.....and its sitting on the dealers lot!
And all the while he's making payments on it! And I don't know what those payments are, but I know about what the truck cost.....he's paying it and Dodge has the truck!
The irony is, he was tired of constantly fixing trucks, figured he was actually loosing money because instead of spending time wrenching on older stuff, he could be making money by buying newer and spent that time either selling or generating revenue.
I never liked Dodge/Chrysler, and I like them even less now
I think son now has an attorney working on it
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:34am
when I was at that Dodge dealer last week, there were several new 3500 series pickups that had paperwork stuck to the windshield saying "waiting with a recall", I didn't read everything, but thought that was kinda weird! it was on both single rear wheel and dually's.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:57am
That was then, this is now...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:04am
Lou I feel bad for your son, knowing what my SSON went through( thiough I don't feel bad for 'Mr. Knowitall')....
Up here you can NOT rent a pickup with a trialer hitch so HOW does a contractor carryon making a living ?
BTW brother got the inside #s from Ford the day. April sales...ALL cars=3933, Fseries=14,166 !! Grand totals, Ford sells EIGHT times more trucks than cars !
well, until gas up here hits $6USD / USG ...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:07am
I enjoyed the old Dodge video. It's skinny tall tires love that mud. Thanks for sharing.
My local independent auto/truck mechanic says some of the newer pickups are junk.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:22am
A friend recently bought a new dodge 1 ton single wheel and as far as I know, has not had an issue.  He left here right after New Years day, went to FL. and is now on his way to WY.  Plans on leaving there the end of May and head back here to MI.  I'll ask him when he gets here about any problems, if any.

After my experience, I said I would never buy another Dodge, 40 years ago, and I haven't.

Ain't there a lemon law that one can enact to get a new truck or your money back?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:55am
Dad had a dodge in late 20s.Drove home one night next morning rear axle was broke.Happen second time, traded for model T .Never owned another dodge .
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:06am
I owned and drove Ford trucks for 40 years, everything from an F100, F150's, F250's, F350's, Expeditions, Vans, up through an F800, but after the last couple I bought a Ram 3500 in 2014, 70,000 miles so far with no problems, and it works for a living, like it so much I traded my 2014 F150 on a 2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn last week, can't see me ever buying a Ford again. Only thing I'm going to miss is the Ford Dealer, they were the best Dealership I ever worked with, just got to where I couldn't live with the product. 
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:33am
I've got two recalls on my 2017 ram 2500 water pump and some pin in the transmission.  Been waiting 3 months for the parts to fix them.  Dealer said drive it, if it blows its on us.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by allis g allis g wrote:

I've got two recalls on my 2017 ram 2500 water pump and some pin in the transmission.  Been waiting 3 months for the parts to fix them.  Dealer said drive it, if it blows its on us.

I'd get that in writing!
Wait for the Lord;
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Talked to my friend today.  He said he has not had any problems at all with his 18, 1 ton.  He was thinking maybe it's the better ones with all the bells and whistles.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:35pm
I can't say what the difference is John, but I don't believe son bought many bells and whistles.....it is or was a work truck. One of the first symptoms was it would give alerts about tire pressure......but, there were no tire sensors in the tires, from the factory. Dealer tried to claim he took them out. Then other stuff started happening, the whole dash would blink and flash on and off randomly. and/or, it would simply shut down. Maybe it would restart, and sometimes not. they tried to blame that on the aftermarket installers, and insisted on charging him for troubleshooting it, but they (or their subcontractors) were the after market installers. then they noted the ham radio ( actually, business band) in it and zeroed in on it as the cause....then tried to bill him for the troubleshooting.

I realize all the auto manufacturers have had their failures, but it's the attitude that is the most frustrating.

I only owned one Chrysler/Dodge vehicle ('90 New Yorker, used) in my life, and it was near impossible at times to get parts for it outside of the dealer network, and at their prices. It had less than 80k on it and puked the spider gears out the side of the case. Same thing happened to three of our company Caravans. One was the one assigned to me. I was cruising along two lane road, all of a sudden loud bang, engine stopped, no power to dash, power steering an brakes gone! no 'park' with transmission. look in mirror and there is shrapnel and oil all over the road. spider gears had come through the case and severed the main wiring harness from chassis to cabin.

Edited by LouSWPA - 11 May 2018 at 7:39pm
Wait for the Lord;
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:15pm
Lou, tell your son to call Dodge finance.  Neighbor had a new dodge, hauls trailers for living with it, broke the rearend gear about 30,000 on it.  It was in the dealer for six weeks they could not get the parts.  He called the finance department and in three days he had his truck back with a brand new rear end complete in it.  It is who you talk to in these situations
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Amos Amos wrote:

Lou, tell your son to call Dodge finance.  Neighbor had a new dodge, hauls trailers for living with it, broke the rearend gear about 30,000 on it.  It was in the dealer for six weeks they could not get the parts.  He called the finance department and in three days he had his truck back with a brand new rear end complete in it.  It is who you talk to in these situations

Thanks, Amos, I think he already went that route, but I don't know the details, but in any case he still doesn't have a truck. I think he arranged his own financing though, not Dodge finance
Wait for the Lord;
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:06am
local ferd dealer (woodhouse) yeah it's almost a household name now! before they branched out to 16 dealerships the one and only one here wouldn't give anyone local people any type of deal on a new vehicle. it was a coffee shop review one day. soooooo....myself and a friend got together, went out to the truck lot, picked out a truck, wrote down the MSRP and other info, (yes Tbone, we wrote down all the info we could off that truck) long story short...went home to call. we both called, asked if they had (the truck we looked at with the equipment listed), they told both of us to stop in and talk. I played the local guy, he played the one from out of town, as he had a work vehicle licensed from out of town. after some chit chat and looking over the truck again, they quoted him over $2000. less than they quoted me on the same truck. why? was told by several folks that they wanted out of town people buying, they thought they already had the locals business already! neither of us never went back, and he was a ferd dude! that Dodge dealer never did call me, so I don't think i'll get to excited about buying from them either now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:07am
watching that video, it's a wonder them wood spoked wheels held up as well as they did!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:26am
An that was just two wheel drive.... LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:06am
Them spokes is hickory--a pretty tough wood, and-- they was pretty new then!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 6:21pm
I was astonished at the traction he was getting with in reality is one wheel drive
Wait for the Lord;
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:50pm
Back during the original Power Wagon days, Dodge was arguably the toughest truck on the market. In the '70s and '80s, that had a strong running gear but their bodies were junk, and electrical system wasn't the best. When they got the 5.9 Cummins, they had a decent truck with a superb engine, auto trans was still junk. 

These days, all the vehicles on the road are not much more than a rolling computer. Chevy seems to have the least problems overall. You can have a 50 cent connector or something cost thousands to just to find the problem. Makes you want to go back to only needing a 12v coil wire to make the truck run, or in the case of a diesel, no electrical at all, if you've got a hill to roll start and a manual fuel shutoff. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:00pm
I agree, a diesel and nor a gas engine does not need a puter to make it run. ads say they are better fuel economy and other propaganda, but most the vehicles don't get any better mileage than from the 60's and 70's. some do surpass the mileage, but most don't.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:21pm
well dealer called son today, looks like they are going to lease him a truck until this is over! And, FYI, lemon laws do not cover commercial equipment
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic