This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wood splitter on a WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49WF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wood splitter on a WD
    Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 12:55pm
Has any one ran a woodspiltter on a WD. I was wondering if there is enough oil capacity and how to return the oil back to tractor. Could a guy make a return with the oil dipstick cap. Also what kind of pressure does this system have, would it have enough gallons per minute. Thanks for the input.

More than I need
Sponsored Links

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:17pm
Could I suppose, but the low volumn high pressure hydraulics on a WD would make it deathly slow. You might beeter hook one up and run it with a pto pump.....mount the tank ect on the splitter itself and just use the tractor for its pto power and hydraulic power
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:10pm
Ran one off a WD45. Dual hydraulics (one feed, one drain that circulated the oil), 3 way valve on the splitter (In, Neutral, Out) that ran a 3' long (6' fully extended) 12k psi rated Cross cylinder
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:25pm
Ask Butch to see his he runs off his WD!!!
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:35pm
Much more economical to run one from its own little 5hp B&S motor. IMO/IME
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:16pm

Three  things you must have a handle on to back yard engineer a splitter.
A. Pressure is what splits the wood (and nothing else)
B. Gallons per minute is what determans how fast  its going to operate (and nothing else)
C. HP to operate the system is the product of pressure and GPM (and nothing else)

Imprint these thngs on your mind, anyone who says differant is FOS.

You have plenty of HP to run a VERY fast and Hi-force splitter and how much oil it holds is realy not in the picture because of the  two way ram so I wont go on about that part of the equation however,,,

Your WD pump will split wood and not be stupid slow IF you size the ram correctly however its not going to be what I would call quick unless the ram is so small it will lack the needed push to split tough stuff. With what most people would call a "normal sized splitter ram 4-5" it will be stupid slow, take a nap while extending. But it would either split what you put in it or push the end off the beam. Figuring how quick it is going to be is as simple as calculating the cubic capacity of the bore and the capacity of your pump. If the extended bore of your cylinder holds 2 gallons of oil and your pump puts out 20 GPM its going to take 6 seconds to extend.  20/2 =10% of 60 seconds or 6. I would bet the bank if you punch the question in Google there is an on-line calcultor somewhere.  Return will be a bit quicker because the rod takes up space you dont have to pump oil for.  If the science here bores you then stay away from building your own is the best advise I can give. If your looking for "x " GPM, "x"  size cylinder and "x" pressure  suggestions I suggest you go to TSC or RK and write down the specs from one of their splitters.  The splitter I built runs off the PTO so I can run the tractor just off idle and have reasonable speed. Id rather listen to the WD at 1000 RPM and the A-C governor working than a screaming demon B&S at my shoulder  but that is personal prefferance.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 10 Oct 2011 at 5:20pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:19pm
If you use a smaller diameter cylinder, like what is on a freeman loader, it won't be terrible slow but isn't very economical as far as fuel usage. I know a guy that built and still uses a splitter with a one way cylinder. It has a spring to return the cylinder and works really slick. His cycle time is way less than powering the cylinder back. A problem with that would be if you stick it, you'll have to get the maul and sledge out to drive it back.
 The WD is capable of a whole bunch of PSI in the system( I blew up a 5,000psi gauge with my 45 after a guy rebuilt my pump), usually around 3500psi, but is very limited in volume. A normal log splitter valve will have a relief built in which will bypass before you reach that though. I have seen splitters mounted on a WD with an add on reservoir, and a return line to a tee in place of the drain plug, with a filter on the return line. If your not going for lots of volume of split wood, the cost savings of buying an engine and pump may offset the extra fuel usage and more time it takes to cycle. That's something you have to decide on.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 10 Oct 2011 at 5:24pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:30pm
There ya go. Butch must of started typing before me. Anyway, now you have what you need to figure out what you'll get when you bolt it all together. Don't do like a coworker of mine did when welding. He thought the mig made a way nicer looking weld so everything was migged on his splitter. Not a problem if your a good trained welder and know what is needed but it wasn't too long and he was pushing welds apart on the splitter.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:37pm
Whoa,easy there Butch,lol.
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
49WF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49WF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 1:11pm
Thanks for the input. I did not want to run the 190 on it, the return was what I was wondering about for the wd . I do not have a B/S motor laying around and am with Butch on the motor screaming at me. The WD does need more run time anyways. 
 I kinda like the idea of a pto pump, seems like less cobbling up to make it work.
More than I need
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 3:48pm
I built a heck of a log splitter when I was younger, and put an 8HP briggs on it.  It works great is not too loud, but if I had it to do all over again, I might put a Char-Lynn PTO pump on it, with the tank and lines still mounted to the spilter, and leave the pump on the spliter,  why???  So all my buddies don't want to borrow it, and it's just another engine that I have to tinker with when the time comes to use it, and it will work on any 540 PTO tractor, no couplers to fool with.

Edited by Orange Blood - 11 Oct 2011 at 3:49pm
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 4:37pm
My little B&S motor will split just about anything just above idle (IE pretty quiet). I split all my winters wood on less than a couple gallons of fuel. Takes more fuel to start up one of my WD's and move it into position than it does to split a cord of wood with the little motor ha. Also beats racking up hours on the tractor when a little single cylinder B&S motor will do the job. The B&S was cheap to buy and super cheap to maintain, only takes about 1qt of oil to change it every spring and that's all the maintenance I've done to it in I can't remember how many years (at least 10 years). 

This coming from a guy who had a tractor powered splitter for a few years and modified it to have its own motor. I also split 15-20 full cords per year.  

Edited by chevytaHOE5674 - 11 Oct 2011 at 4:39pm
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 6:38pm
Maybe said above but I'll say it anyway. Diameter of the piston determines the overall force the piston has. Thus, a 4" diameter piston with a pump having 1000 psi equates to about 12,500 lbforce or 6+ ton. (area of 4" piston is about 12 square inches. Sq inches X psi = lbforce). Our stand alone splitter with a 5" diameter piston and an 8hp B&S enine is rated for 26 ton. I'm not sure if I would go smaller than a 26 ton rated splitter as sometimes our splitter struggles thru some really twisted, knotty wood and stumps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic