This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wire pulling plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wire pulling plow
    Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:12pm
Hi All...

Just posting a gadget I had need for, and had a few minutes to slap together... for pulling invisible dog-fence wire.  I made it adjustable, so it can go down a little deeper... but don't need to go beyond about 6"... but here it is:

This is without the depth-control shoe...

and:

There's the shoe...

and:

Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:19pm
And the test results...

First pass, coming back over it, and the front tri-rib is perfect for re-seating the soil...

Looks really good... now to test the spool dispenser...

And...

And it puts in this wire REALLY WELL!

Edited by DaveKamp - 29 May 2011 at 12:26pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:25pm
Now, just so it's clear... I built this thing to run in DOG FENCE... can't run it in more than a few inches, or it won't work well.  I didn't intend to go in 10-16" or so, but I'm betting that if I put that serious of a knife on it, the D17 WOULD dig it through without any trouble, especially if I had some more ballast.

Next... that's a HUGE piece of wire... it's 3-twisted-pair audio communications wire that I happened to have a half-spool of.  I wouldn't normally plow this stuff into the ground- it's not direct-bury rated, but it IS the biggest SIZE I'd ever try to push in the ground (both reel, and wire size).  I know that if it'll put this stuff in, it'll put in tiny dog-fence wire just fine.

Tractive effort requirement for this size knife... in the soil I have here today (pretty wet), is next to nothing... the D17 pulls it like it's not even there.  In the fall, it won't be so easy on the knife, but I don't think the 17 will have any problems making the cut.  I'm thinkin' that I could put this knife on my Cub Cadet 109 and plow in dog fence easily... but if I were to ever go to a deep knife (like... 18")... it'd certainly be best suited to the 17 or larger tractor.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:27pm
Great job I like it!!!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 1:17pm
Makes that project 'fun'!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 3:08pm
Dave, here is somebody I know that has buried a lot of wire and never used a D17. LOL  My sister Laurie. [TUBE]TqkWOkl95jE[/TUBE]
http://www.statelinedogwatch.com/
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 6:24pm
I built one I use behind my 917 H garden tractor. I put a coulter on it so it cuts instead tearing it.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:25pm
Yeah, a coulter wheel out front of the knife would do a nice job of slicing the sod.  I've also been thinking that I'd probably be better yanking the shoe and putting either one, or two tires BEHIND the blade, with adjustable setting on the tires... thus serving three functions- first, being the control of depth, second, being that it 're-flattens' the surface... and finally... it helps hold the wire DOWN when traversing a dip in the yard.

Charlie-  I could've made it for my Cub Cadet... or even made it a towable implement... but then I wouldn't have reason to use the D17.  What kind of nonsense is that???  ;-)

Mebbie I'll make one that uses a lever to set in, and rig it to the drawbar of my hand-start B...

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:32pm
Any reason to use a D-17 is a good reason!!! Is that the D-17 with the Hyd.pump up front?
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:58pm
It's the one that will SOON have a hyd pump up front... the coupler is in... just awaiting next opportunity for lathe-time.

I had to set some things aside today... obviously the squall that came through put the kabash on outdoor stuff, so I took Nick into town to see the latest Pirates .. Caribbean movie... after that, I detatched the deck from my big ZTR to give it it's blade-sharpening and deck-repair work... made a new anti-scalp wheel, and also axle and retainer... patched up a crack in one corner where Ann hit a tree-stump pretty hard (hit the wheel bracket, hence wheel, axle, and deck).

I've ALSO been working on the interior of the ice-house... it's been converted to henhouse/garden shed, finally got the remaining interior walls closed, electrical panel installed, conduit finished, and now building workbenches and installing shelves for my wife...  tomorrow I'll be plowing in the dogwire...

But first thing in the morning will be to reinstall the mower blades, reinstall the deck, fix one bent headlamp bracket, reattach lamp wire, weld on a protective ring around the headlamps... and replace the wood canopy with sheet aluminum...

But once that (and the wire plowing) is done, it'll be time to make the pump mount standoffs and mount plate for the front pump!

(then I'll make an adapter to connect a SAE #4 hydrostatic pump to the back of the bellhousing on a Chevy stovebolt six... for my forklift... the pump mount is done, the adapter shaft is done... just need to make the adapter plate and spacers...

If it ain't one project, it's four-five others...
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:12am
and i thought you was talkin bouts gettin to close to the fence with yer plow....we had that experience a couple times!! that danged plow wouldn't let loose of that fence!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:22am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Charlie-  I could've made it for my Cub Cadet... or even made it a towable implement... but then I wouldn't have reason to use the D17.  What kind of nonsense is that???  ;-)

Mebbie I'll make one that uses a lever to set in, and rig it to the drawbar of my hand-start B...

Dave, I completely understand. My sister might not because her blood isn't Orange and she does that for a living and needs something smaller to get into places the 17 couldn't. Plus she has to carry the tool in the van with her.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
se iowa picker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote se iowa picker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:23am
looks like a pretty smooth running outfit Dave and will sure beat digging it in by hand.
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:55am
That sure looks like a LOT more fun than a shovel!
MBWisc View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:01am
Very nice! Wish I'd ad that a few years ago when I opened a furrow with the G & plow. Went well until I had to row the sod back over by hand. Not fun! 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:42am
When you are done Dave, are you going to loan it out?  Could use it myself.  Nice job and ingenuity.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:01pm
Sure, Ted-  I got a company guy going up that way in about 2-3 weeks, I'll see who gets the assignment, and if he's willing, I'll have him set it in his truck and drop it off for 'ya!

Just plowed in 1800' of wire, took me 40 minutes... 45 feet per minute... or one foot every 1.3 seconds.  Actually moving a little faster (1st high, just a little above idle), but we did stop a few times, back up, and re-point it to make tighter corners.  Worked great.  Only had one spot where I had to have John (assisting buddy) stand on the drawbar to help push it back down... we had to re-point for a tight corner, and there was some compacted gravel in the soil, so he 'helped' it get down, but once down, it went fine.

Amidst the pull, we found one tree root that DID cause the 17 to slip a right wheel and tear up the lawn a little... and in another area, we found a 10' piece of old rusty dog-chain.  Didn't find a dog attached to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one down there somewhere... it IS a farm, after all...

Charlie-  I understand your sister's situation completely... but I guarantee you that if I had to, I could get my D17 INTO her van.  The van won't quite be the same, and it'd scuff my tractor a little, but it's got enough torque, and enough gears...  ;-)  

The plow would be much more maneuverable behind the Cub Cadet, and of course, a guy could go buy a commercially built unit from Vermeer or the like... and it'd have more capabilities.   Thinking I could change the design enough to make it a tow-behind for the Cub, but it'd need a bit of ballast (water tanks?) and be able to negotiate some tighter turns... but wouldn't need as-big a spool holder. 

A PAIR of coulter-disks right at the front edge, and either a tire or two behind (for depth limiting and re-packing) WOULD be the best way to go.

I don't have any old C-discs around, and I've already done all the plowing that I need for now, so I'll be setting it aside, instead to work on the hydraulic system and get the backhoe attachment running!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic