This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ear Corn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ear Corn
    Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:35am

Does anyone know the going price for ear corn? We had some replanting done, the old did not get tore out good and we had corn come up everywhere. A lot of corn down. I picked up several bushel yesterday and planning to go back today.  Dave.
Sponsored Links

Justin(IN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:56am
Sold mine @ market value (70 lbs of ear corn = 1 bushel).
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:07am
David - I picked a load for my farming partner a few years ago for food plots and charged him the market rate at 70/lbs a bu as Justin points out.  Didn't charge a premium as we are friends and the picking was fun.  Market rate is the minimum.  On the other extreme farm stores sell bags of a dozen ears for $5 retail as squirrel corn.  If you are hand picking up the corn from a farmer's field for your own usage, I'd think at most $1 bu over market would be very fair.  Don't discount the manual labor you are supplying to pick up the corn.  If it's an open field w/o fences and the farmer doesn't have livestock (cattle or pigs) to turn out in it to clean it up for feed, then corn is worthless lying on the ground given the effort and cost to pick it up.  It only has value after you have picked it by hand.

Put you zip in here to find daily grain market rates at elevators in your part of the MO:

http://dtn.mocorn.org/index.cfm?show=31&mid=15

Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 5:51pm
Yep, what the other guys said, cash market price for a 70 pound bushel. There is a niche market for it among cattle feeders but you would need several thousand bushel to make it worthwhile. I guess you could set up a roadside stand and offer a dozen ears for $3.00. That would pay pretty decent.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:04pm
Dave I can have Dad come up and help you pick up the corn. lol
I sale two or three wagon loads to a farmer down south for the same rateas said above.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic