This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hydraulic Pump Priming Method

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hydraulic Pump Priming Method
    Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 10:30am
I had tried filling the pump before installing it, but without a check valve on the inlet (like later models), of course it ran out the inlet quickly before I completed the install.  What would be the best route to priming the pump given it never had a check valve on the inlet?  Should I remove the control valve after install and fill from the top?  Try filling from one of the output lines?  Should there even be such a problem with this older configuration?I'm certain there was plenty of oil in the inlet.  The oil runs into the pump inlet even before oil shows up on the dip stick and the transmission case was full to the 'rams extended' level.
1952 CA13092
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2024 at 8:05pm
We just installed front and rear cultivators on our CA last week and couldn’t get the pump to lift them. Loosened the cap at the rear remote(ours doesn’t have a Pioneer coupler on it) to bleed the air out of the system. Now it lifts just fine.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 46 minutes ago at 11:45am
Status Update:  The AGCO guy found a burr that was messing with the control valve operation.  He also replaced the broken control valve spring with one from a WD pump.  The broken one (what was left) was about 4 inches in length.  Supposed to be 7 inches in length per one source. 

Anyway, although it took a considerable time to prime, it now raises, slowly, but does not seem to want to lower as long as the pump is running, although with the control lever down, you can apply quite a bit of force and push it down part way (with pump running).  It goes down fine with the pump not running and the handle down.  Initially, with the handle lowered, it slowly crept up.  It seemed to get slightly better as the test progressed.  With the handle all the way up, it seems to be applying maximum force (even if that may be a diminished maximum).

He did not replace the gasket on the front end (flow control adjustment).  He thought it would not leak there, but leaks quite profusely.  Also leaking around the check valve fittings.  I suspect he didn't tighten them or the copper seals need replacing.

I've seen postings with similar behavior, but haven't had time to review.  Ideas?
1952 CA13092
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 11 minutes ago at 8:20pm
The traction booster linkage is misadjusted...will see whether that helps tomorrow.

Edited by dfwallis - 11 hours 8 minutes ago at 8:23pm
1952 CA13092
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 23 minutes ago at 10:08pm
you need a plow or blade on the back to get the arms to drop ... you might be able to stand on the lower arm and get it to drop..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 32 minutes ago at 12:59am
I had about 100lbs hanging on it plus pushing down by hand. But I'll try more
1952 CA13092
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic