This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Running a JD no5 Sickle Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Running a JD no5 Sickle Help
    Posted: 29 May 2024 at 1:31pm
I just want to run this by yall because I am unsure. Does the WD have enough HP to run a 7 foot JD no.5 Sickle? Also the tractor seems really fast in first and I have been reading that pitman sickles kind of suck / don't like going too fast?
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 2:05pm
My 1941 John Deere Model A on its best day had less horsepower than my Father-in-law's worn-out WD (I have had ample opportunity to run both) and the Johnny Popper pulled the #5 mower just fine. Plus, the WD has that wonderful hand clutch to help you through the tough spots. Go for it!
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 2:53pm
Spent hundreds of hours with a B and a no.5 mower. WD is plenty.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 9:19pm
The first mowing tractor was a wd45 with a #5 JD mower. That mower runs fast. I never broke a pitman stick. We had a spare in the cow barn, years later when a tornado took that huge old barn down, dad sawed it up and burnt it in the wood stove. The mower was sold to a friend of his and the pitman stick went with it.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 9:52pm
A WD should have enough to run a 9ft haybine.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 4:39am
Us and neighbors ran 9 foot haybines with wd’s almost wire open throttle in second gear for years.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 7:54am
I mowed with a 6ft #5 mower on a C for years. A sickle mower with sharp knives and good plates dosen't take much horsepower. In lighter grass I could mow in second in heavy swamp grass I needed to use first. If your having problems odds are your ledger plates are bad or the hold downs need to be tighter. everyone sharpens the sections but sharp sections won't cut with bad ledgers or loose hold downs. it only takes 2 horses to pull a 6' horse mower.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:41am
I cut many acres with a JD no 5. The most important thing is a sharp knife and good guards on the cutter bar. But I have broke a number of pitman sticks. Probably from rocks and sticks, I have plenty of both. 
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 11:22am
It should handle it fine. 
 I still have the JD #5 my dad bought new pre WW2, it was a manual lift he used it on AC WC & an IH F20. I got it in 1975 on the auction of guy that bought it on dad's farm auction in 1959. I got used parts and made it hydraulic lift, used it on IHC H.  
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic