This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage regulator for a 12-volt B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbspears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage regulator for a 12-volt B
    Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 11:04am
I have a 1942 Allis Chalmers B that has been converted to 12 volt.  It's got a 4-terminal voltage regulator on it but only three terminals were used.  It's not working and I'd like to replace it.  I see several 12-v, 3-terminal voltage regulators on the Steiner website.  Does it matter which one I get, or can I use any 12-volt 3-terminal voltage regulator?  Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:14pm
Try to get a regulator that is made for a SMALL generator that was on a tractor... If the regulator says it is for a 7-9 amp generator, it will work a LOT BETTER than a regulator made for a 30 amp generator. Steve at B&B on this site sells regulators and matches them to the generator output, if your interested.

Your right, you dont need the 4th terminal, but if it has one, thats OK.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:25pm
I bought this regulator and put on a "B" 6 months ago. It is 12v and says 7-9 amp. It does have the "L" terminal that is not used. The "G" terminal is on the bottom, not the side........... from AMAZON

I think Steiners is ABC154... or ABC185

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Feb 2024 at 12:33pm
dbspears View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbspears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 2:20pm
Thank you.  This is very helpful.  Exactly the advice I needed.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 3:33pm
You didn't say but the assumption is you have a 12-volt generator.  The Delco 10DN alternator used a 4-terminal regulator as well.  Best you confirm which you have.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 3:30pm
If you really want to get something correct that works with what you have, Take your generator and regulator over to Mt. Jackson, Va. to The Brillman Co. at 2328 Pepper Rd.  They are the only place I go for anything electrical.
  He can see what you have, sell you a CORRECT regulator and test everything together to make sure it works.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 10:29pm

Most 12v alternators have a built in regulator.

Does yours?
 If so you can delete the big block of reliability problems.

If not ... For the price of a regulator block you might buy a new alternator.

I have used the 12v Denso "hot rodder" generator because it packages in a smaller space.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 6:33am
He doesn't say (or at least I couldn't find it, if he did) if he is using an alternator or has a 12 volt generator (or one that has been converted to 12 volt). I would think that would make a big difference in the choice of a regulator.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 9:30am
It certainly does make a difference picking out the correct VR for the application, unless it has an "SI" series Delco doin' the charging chores....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
dbspears View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbspears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 8:52am
It's definitely a 12V generator.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:15am
just buy the small regulator from Steiner or AMAZON that is rated for a 7 amp generator, and you will be good to go !

Your generator has 2 terminals, "F" and "A".... you should be able to GROUND the F terminal and measure voltage from "A" to the tractor frame and see if the generator works... BEFORE you buy a regulator.

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Mar 2024 at 9:17am
dbspears View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbspears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:23am
Thank you.  I will do that.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 2:18pm
Make sure to polarize it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic