This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Industrial Heritage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Industrial Heritage
    Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 8:57am
An Industrial Heritage-Allis-chalmers corporation--received this book for my recent birthday from daughter--copyright 1978 by Milwaukee County Historical Society--apparently she has been looking for a copy for a couple of years. Looks to be a good read for these up-coming long winter's nights!  R. Musgrave
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 9:03am
Its a good read- stops around 76-77; when AC was in its hay day
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 10:21am
Very good book.  Illustrates the ups and downs that the company experienced in its existence.  My favorite part is the late 60s when other companies were trying to take them over.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 8:26pm
I bought mine a few years ago. The Historical Society still had copies available but without the dust cover. I believe they were around $8, a lot cheaper than on ebay most of the time.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 11:40pm
Yeah Bob, I got mine a few years ago now and it's been long enough that I should go back and reread it!  It'll be like reading it new since I CRS.

I will have to look when I get home, but I think mine has the dust jacket.

It's snowing here now, so I guess I'll have time to start reading any time now....BRRRR

Dang Shameless anyway!!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 10:05am

Available New on Amazon, Hard Cover for $17.50. Free Delivery for members in 2 or 3 days.

G
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2023 at 11:08am
One on Ebay too for 22 bucks,, sad a huge company could fade in just 5 years , but not keeping up with the times ; a  sad Ag economy and the silly Kiln - N- Gas project Allis invested millions of dollars in and had -0- income,,, should have known better- never mess with decrease of coal,,  putting together ship engines ;; they tried to keep the West Allis open but was really looking to move to Kentucky,, with the American Air Filter business; awe well , 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 7:52am
Excellent book. More about the business side of A-C then the equipment. My book is became special after I read an insert in the back cover about the first Million KW steam generator installed in New York City. Was the largest in the world at the time and the chief engineer at AC in charge of the project was Ellis P. Hanson. I then saw his signature inside the front cover so the book was his personal book that likely got sold at his estate sale and found its way to eBay about 15 years ago. His written comment on the insert made it obvious that he was disappointed that the turbine was not mentioned in the book.  The books was a bi centennial project of the Milwaukee Historical  Society .    

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 27 Nov 2023 at 9:44am
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 5:25pm
Just an observation but Con Ed had alot of trouble with this massive generator at the beginning,, it was Big Allis right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic