This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd connecting rod nuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underdogexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd connecting rod nuts
    Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 6:31pm
I have a wD with a WD45 crank and WD connecting rods. I was having a bit of trouble finding replacement connecting rod nuts at the time, but found that big block chev nuts were the same size so I ordered a set. They fit perfect, but I'm not sure what torque setting to use. They aren't castellated or luglock, and the range between those two styles is pretty wide, 70 and 40 ft/lbs. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:35pm
I never have understood the two values of torque.. You would think any type of LOCK nut might have more DRAG and require a higher torque to  get them installed to the same clamping force.. but thats not what THIS SPEC says ??

Here is a chart for torque for bolts... You can assume the bolts are at LEAST grade 5 and probably closer to grade 8.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 5:55am
We love to help you out when we can. Just to let you know Alex is in your back yard (Cecil) and has parts and experience. 
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Underdogexpress View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underdogexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 6:29am
Do you think that there is a particular reason that some sort of locknut is used? Perhaps it might be wise for me to Loctite the nuts? Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Underdogexpress - 05 Oct 2023 at 6:37am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 6:31am
D-17 conn rod nuts are 45 to 55 ft lbs and are the same bolt as a WD.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 6:48am
No locktite found on either the G262 or WD45 engine I am currently working on. They both use the lug lock nut. Now begs the question. Are they reusable or one time use?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 7:15am
I've always reused rod bolts and "pal" nuts and never had one single problem.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 5:36pm
I had some of the "crown" style lock nuts, I oculd almost spin them on by hand so I figured they weren't locking anymore. MACK to put a socket over the crown and hit it with a hammer to tighten them again. Seemed to work fine and i reused them 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic