This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 volt starter solenoid for C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanCMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 volt starter solenoid for C
    Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 7:53pm
I inherited a C from my Grandfather and am trying to get it running again.  I've already gotten some great information from this forum but have a question that I haven't seen before.

This tractor has been modified with a voltage regulator and a push button starter.  There was a single wire from the starter button to the starter switch with no power going to the starter button.

I know I need to replace the starter solenoid but am not sure if I need a certain type/style of a solenoid given the way starter button is wired.  Thanks for your help. Dan
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 9:06pm
On a 6V system, you need a feed wire running off the minus (-) side of the Ammeter to the Starter button. From the other side of the Starter button, run it to the solenoids #10 post.  Should be good to go.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DanCMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanCMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 1:05pm
Steve,I understand what you described but think I will need to put a different starter button on the tractor. The current starter button only has one wire attachment. I've included a picture of what is currently there. Dan

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 4:50pm
YES.. you need a starter button with two wires.. One HOT from the ammeter and the other side runs to the solenoid........ solenoid should be bolted to metal as a ground.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 4:52pm
If you dont have an "L" terminal on the voltage regulator, then that wire that feeds the lights and ignition would come off the "B" terminal, or the other end on the ammeter.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 5:37pm
With a one wire starter button, could someone have installed an insulated base solenoid on it that needs a ground, which the switch might supply when pushed, to engage the solenoid, like some Fords used?
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 9:25am
That starter button shown is from a '40's Ford and just grounded the old 6 volt solenoid
terminal to complete the circuit and close the solenoid contacts to kick in the starter.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 9:26am
That starter button shown is from a '40's Ford and just grounded the old 6 volt solenoid
terminal to complete the circuit and close the solenoid contacts to kick in the starter. I had many of those old Fords in my past!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 9:39am
Phil, yer' showin' your age buddy!!  LOL!!  Do away with that old switch and pick yourself up a dual terminal push button and wire it like I mentioned and Steve's diagram.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DanCMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanCMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 2:32pm
Thanks for the insights on my current starter button and recommendation on what to do. I will be buying a new starter button. Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic