This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 diesel runs rough after pump install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbuttre835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 diesel runs rough after pump install
    Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 12:16pm
Hello all

This spring I was bushhogging with my D17 diesel and it quit just like I shut the fuel off. I had fuel at the pump and coming out of the little timing cover, until I shut the fuel off at the sediment bowl. Tractor would hit on ether. No raw fuel out the exhaust when cranking.

Pulled the pump and injectors and took to a local shop. They supposedly are well versed in these pumps. Counter man recognized it as I walked in the door.

Got the pump back, it sat a couple months, got it reinstalled yesterday, injectors installed, and I cleaned outsides and ends of the lines with ether then compressed air. Removed the fuel filters and cleaned housings and installed new.

Used compressed air to get fuel to the timing hole in the pump. Cranked it in 3 second tries and after 4 or 5 I had fuel at a couple cylinders. Tightened those lines, gave it some summertime in a can, and it hit and I got fuel at 2 more cylinders, so I tightened those 2. One more little sniff and it was running.

Idles great, but unloaded it intermittent misses and gray smokes. Put the bushhog on, and under load when the governors open it smooths out.

Acts like this fellows tractor here

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/d-17-diesel_topic50556.html

I wouldn't expect a fresh rebuild pump to have issues?

Also it will wind up to very high RPM. Tach is out but it sounds a lot higher than 1800 RPM. He mentioned the throttle being tied past wide open having something to do with the governors. I had it mounted and timed and tightened down and 4 lines on before I cut their tie wire.

Aside from calling the shop Tuesday after Labor Day,any suggestions?
C w/ 3rd gear out

D15 II factory 3 point

WD (no motor!)(parts for sale!)

WD 45 wide front
Sponsored Links

8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 1:29pm
Sounds like you did everything right. Id get an optical tach and putba piece of reflective tape on the crank and check the high idle so you can ste it. I use a piece cut off a dot tape on the crank. I think if it was mine after I got the high idle set id run it some and see if it would settle down
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 3:30pm
What year D17 ? Did you time the engine before you pulled the pump? On my series 1 I turned the engine until the timing marks lined up and then installed the timing pin in the flywheel to make sure I was correct. My second thought is I’m not sure why you used compressed air to force fuel through the system. To me that just introduced air in the lines. A little patience and gravity will move the fuel when you have the bleeder cracked open. Your filling 2 filters and the lines with a small amount of fuel so it takes about 5 minutes to get to the bleeder. Once it’s bubble free there close the bleeder and then open the timing window. Once it’s bubble free there install the timing window cover and install the machine screws. A few cranks and it should fire up without cracking any injector lines. Ed just rebuilt my pump and that’s the process I followed. After about 3 revolutions it fired right up.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 3:41pm
High idle no-load speed is 2,000 RPM, not 1800. You don't have a working tach and you can tell how fast it's running ?? OK.     Sounds to me like you have the pump timing 2 to 4 degrees retarded, so that would be on you not the pump man. Try to advance the timing by loosening the two retaining nuts and tipping the top of the pump towards the engine block a little bit and try it. Do this with engine OFF.
cbuttre835 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbuttre835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 4:36pm
AC720man - it's a 1965 model Series 4.

I barred the motor over until timing marks aligned and pulled the pump. When I got it from the shop it was timed the same way. When I Bolted it up i checked and they were still aligned.

I used air at the advice of the pump shop.

Drallis, the pump had 1800 stamped on the nameplate so I assumed that was hi idle. I've got a digital optical tach on the way from Amazon to verify.

Should I advance the timing 2-4 degrees from where it was when I pulled it? I had the injectors rebuilt, so that would retard it slightly if my understanding of mechanical diesel injection is correct.

Definitely not messing with a distributor here LOL. Engine off and batteries disconnected....

Edited by cbuttre835 - 02 Sep 2023 at 4:37pm
C w/ 3rd gear out

D15 II factory 3 point

WD 45 wide front
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 5:30pm
You are out nothing but a few minutes of your time to try a slight pump timing advancement. Just make a mark on the pump's mounting flange to where it is timed now, so if it doesn't help, you can return it right back to where it was.
cbuttre835 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbuttre835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:40pm
Good call by Dr. Allis.

Fetched my punch and hammer to set some marks, and noticed old marks a little more than an eighth inch (probably 5/32) apart.

I set mine then advanced it to line the old ones up (almost, didn't loosen any lines) and it's running well.

Unrelated issue - no. 3 spits fuel but without a mirror on a stick I can't tell exactly where. It's splattering off the head and running down the block.

The 3/4 fitting holding the line on is bottomed out.

Again, this is not a 7.3 HEUI so I'm learning as I go.

What is there to check or replace? Looked just like a swaged end on that steel line. The nut is not replaceable that I can see. It's not flared but a little square end on the line.
C w/ 3rd gear out

D15 II factory 3 point

WD 45 wide front
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 11:16pm
The ferrule on the end of the line under the nut is a separate/crushed on piece. Getting the old one off without leaving a scratch in the line itself is a challenge. I've never had a nut "bottom" out, so don't know what to say about that. Usually when there is a leak, the line itself is cracked on the nut side of the ferrule, meaning a different line to repair.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:33pm
Cut line off just behind old ferrule,replace with new ferrule and nut if needed. Tighten nut and you should be back in business.               MACK
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 8:08am
Had exactly the issue with my D17 IV diesel after my mechanic reinstalled the pump. Slight timing adjustment and it runs perfect. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic