This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Murphy switch on R62 question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Murphy switch on R62 question.
    Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 12:54pm
       Looking to put a Murphy switch on our R62 but just for the water temp not the lack of engine oil. We have Murphy switches on 4 tractors for pumping water around the clock, 190 XT, 200, 7020 and 8050.
      Last fall the idler bearing on the serpentine fan belt went out and the engine got pretty hot before he realized it. The first indication of the belt being gone was the low amp light indicator came on, followed by the hyd oil temp. By then the water temp gauge was nearly pegged. 
     So if I'm thinking correctly, I can purchase just the Murphy temp gauge with capillary and the Murphy magnetic switch, mount them in the engine compartment and not need the override push button to start machine. Don't want to run any more wires than I have to, to the cab and add another switch. If it does shut the engine down due to water temperature, the operator will just have to let engine cool before starting again.
     I really don't want this to happen again. I think for about $150, it can be set up pretty clean and out of the way. That $14 dollar idler bearing cost us 10K in an 8.3 rebuild (dropped a valve) and pay a neighbor to finish up harvest for us. Any thoughts.
     Thanks
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:27pm
I think that should work.. Son has a couple on tractors . Shut off the fuel solenoid when hits the HIGH LIMIT... but they also have the BYPASS button to get to restart / startup as needed..... If all you have is a HIGH LIMIT TRIP, you should be OK for initial start.

I would verify with manufacture that they switch will RESET when it cools off and does/ or does not have a push button to reset.

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Aug 2023 at 2:29pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic