This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hay Chopper in Idaho

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hay Chopper in Idaho
    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:21am
My Son-in-law has an old hay chopper in which the main bearing on the cutter head went out (locked up). I think it is an Allis-Chalmers but really not sure, the color looks right unless it is maybe a Case.

We are having difficulty finding a bearing. It is a Hyatt 11480-Z. Does anyone have any NOS sitting in the back room?

Sponsored Links

Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:52am
It's an Allis Chalmers standard or a model 50.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:04pm
have a RH housing and bearing races but don’t seem to have bearing
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 5:46pm
I have a lot of NOS parts for those machines. However the Allis Chalmers part number would help me more than the bearing number. Most all of the bearings are in sealed cans. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:44pm
Paul i think it’s 515448 bearing.- 515449 race

Edited by Mikez - 06 Jan 2021 at 7:47pm
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:04am
This is the first one of these bearings I have seen go out!  We have one of these choppers that chopped all of our hay and straw from 1959 until 1994 and chopped corn from 1959 until 1988 and it still runs today and those bearings are still original!  I have parted out a few machines that were sitting in the weeds for years and they bearings were still free.  

Anyway, I did an AGCO dealer search and there are a few bearings in dealer inventory.

Thanks
Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

Anyway, I did an AGCO dealer search and there are a few bearings in dealer inventory.

Thanks
Jim

I am new to this business; how might I find how to obtain one of these elusive bearings?
Thanks for the help Smile
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

This is the first one of these bearings I have seen go out!  We have one of these choppers that chopped all of our hay and straw from 1959 until 1994 and chopped corn from 1959 until 1988 and it still runs today and those bearings are still original!  I have parted out a few machines that were sitting in the weeds for years and they bearings were still free.  

Thanks
Jim

My friend always said. "it's those darn grease worms get in there and eat up all that grease"!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 5:59am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

My friend always said. "it's those darn grease worms get in there and eat up all that grease"!

Indeed it appears that they were working overtime here! Tongue

Son-in-law stated that he had always been cautioned not to OVER grease bearings so as to not blow out the seals; after two pumps of some heavy, thick red grease he could see some coming out so he would stop.

Trouble is, there are NO SEALS in this bearing, nor do I see any provision for one!

It appears that this thing needs:
A) Much thinner grease for this high-speed application
B) LOTS of grease pumped through it after each chopping session to push the dirt back out
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:01am
If the part is at any AGCO dealer, any other one can order it for you and ship it. I'd recommend choosing a dealer that focuses on Allis stuff. Finding a dealer with a parts guy who knows Allis machines inside and out makes it a lot easier. Our dealer (C&K Implement) is pretty good with Allis stuff, but on our Oliver tractor, they really just didn't know how to read the parts books. I ended up ordering parts from a place called Maibach Tractor for that- they specialize in Oliver stuff. Find the dealer that specializes in Allis stuff and you'll be golden. Maybe try Sumerix? https://www.sumeriximp.com
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:56am
Don't forget Sandy Lake.  They have an outstanding reputation here.   
Good Luck!
Bill Long
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
I forgot about Sandy Lake. I'd give them a call for sure- they know their A-C stuff. We've lucked out on our Gleaner and 7040, and haven't really had to call for parts. I bought an Allis 1300 field cultivator last spring too, and let's be honest: There's nothing that really can break on those other than C-tines.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 9:08am
Any AGCO dealer can get them.  I work at a dealer in Iowa and can order them for you or if you have a local AGCO dealer they can get them.

If you want you can email me at jim@franzensales.com

Also, grease the heck out of them.  At that time that was the preferred practice. Most of the bearings in that machine are caged roller bearings which hold up well.  

Thanks
Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:23pm
If anyone needs these 515448 or 70515448, 515449 or 70515449 bearings we have some NOS in stock here
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic