This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woods Mower Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woods Mower Questions
    Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:59pm
What mounting holes are normally used for a Woods L306CA mower? Three in, three up, where? Also what belt size, B-247 (5/8x250), B-248 (5/8x251), or B-249 (5/8x252)? It is on a CA. Thanks, Tim!
1953 WD45 WF/Model 90 Loader, Oxnard Rear Blade, 80R Mower, Model 209 Disc, WD Rear Mounted Scoop, Model 184 & 160 Rotary Mowers, 1952 CA NF/L306CA mower, 1953 CA WF/Model 8 Loader.
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
The holes it bolts to are  in front and behind the core plug on the final drive. You have to have a spacer between the final drive and the mount bracket.
 here is a pic of Dick's C with the drawbar in place and the Woods "push bar". http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rrqkwsbdqrtssqbxwbfbswdrftr,vi/sddddqdqtxrkdqsbtsqxwtwtqtfwk/3/34676/415039/DSC04582-vi.jpg
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
rustyorange45 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
Not what I was asking, what holes are used on the channel arms, there are six and what holes in the idler/mtg. frame (push bar), there are four. I have the idler/mtg. frame bolted to the final drives in the correct holes. My problem is I think I have too short of a belt and have the channel arms pinned in the second from front hole in the channel arms and one hole from the top on the idler/mtg. frame. Do you pin it 3 holes in and 3 holes up normally? Thanks, Tim
1953 WD45 WF/Model 90 Loader, Oxnard Rear Blade, 80R Mower, Model 209 Disc, WD Rear Mounted Scoop, Model 184 & 160 Rotary Mowers, 1952 CA NF/L306CA mower, 1953 CA WF/Model 8 Loader.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:00pm
rusty, there may be a "generic" position for the 306 on a CA, but basically, the vertical holes are for adjustment of the cutting angle. You want the FRONT edge of the deck slightly LOWER than the back end of the deck. Depends if your cutting the grass 2 inches, 4 inches or 6 inches high on which holes you put the brackets into......... and the horizontal bars similarly are to adjust for belt length.  You want the belt off the PTO pulley to go vertical to the idlers and horizontal toward the deck. You have some adjustement in those pulleys... If they are too far off, you move the deck fore or aft so the idlers can be kept in line pointing at the pto and deck pulleys.

If you want a PDF service manual file for the  59 and 306 decks , send me your e-mail in private message.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:00pm
Mount deck so it clears the rear of the front tires and tilted up in the rear of the deck. The tilt depends on what size rear tires you have. I have a 251 belt on mine and keep it TIGHT. Good luck on a great mowing outfit. 
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 9:18pm
Thanks for your reply. By 251 belt, I presume you are talking about a B-248 belt? What holes are normally used on the caster arms to cut at three inches?
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:33am
Yes on the belt. 3 inches is low so raise the wheels high which lowers the deck and see what your cutting height is then adjust wheels accordingly.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:24am
Go to woodsequipment.com select "Support", then on the left select "Request a Manual".
They will email the whole manual.
Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:02am
I mounted mine 3 in 3 up and used a B248 belt. Installed the mounting bracket in the furthest forwars position. Then adjusted the front mower wheels so that the deck was approx. 1/4" lower than the back of the deck. Left approx. 4" of grass standing. You may have to readjust the in-out hole if the belt stretches during use
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
cdon_FL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdon_FL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 12:37pm
I have a Woods L306 on my CA. Has been a bit of experimentation so far getting it working well.  I did not like it at first and smoked my first belt $$$$$. 
Woods built the mower to work on lots of different brands and models.  Don't set your expectations too high about finding THE single right way to set it up.  It's been a process for me, with lots of good help AND PHOTOS from guys on here who have done it.  You will like it after you get it dialed in I think but not until then.
Chris in NE Florida
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:37pm
I have 3 different manuals for the L306 & L59, one is from Woods itself.  If you want them, just PM me.  I can also send you pics from my cell phone of how I attached mine.  I originally had the drawbar from the C switched over to the CA, but thought about it and put the CA drawbar back on.
Here is the info on the belt that I get.  I've had it on the C for over 4 years and just this year put it (and the mower) on my new to me CA.
PIX B245K Blue Kevlar Belt
AAF3&241     $45.91
http://www.vbeltsupply.com/b248k-wrapped-kevlar-belt.html?___SID=U

Again, get it as TIGHT as you can!!  I use a railroad bar to pry between the pulley and the drawbar to get it as tight as my 230 lbs can get it.
I think this is the better price than the belt from Woods and I think it's also a better belt.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyorange45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:08pm
I took it out and used it this afternoon and everything worked ok. I have the mower set lower in the front than the back, but a longer belt is needed. It cut just fine and I think with a little fine tuning it will give my Gravely a run for its money. Thanks for all your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic