This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC Timing Mark?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC Timing Mark?
    Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm
I'm about to reinstall the mag on our '38 WC. I've never done this and I don't own a WC manual that explains the timing procedure. I've looked at other information about timing a WC on the Forum, but the photos and descriptions I've found  are a bit different from what I'm seeing. At this point I have two questions that I'm betting you guys can help me with!

1. I located what I believe is the timing mark on the flywheel rim behind the flywheel cover. There appears to be only one mark - a "vee shaped" notch (about 1/8" wide at its widest point) on the inner edge of the flywheel rim. The point of the notch points at the ground when the notch is at is lowest point. There's no "F" associated with the mark. I marked the notch with white grease marker so it looks larger than it is in the photo below. So....have I found the timing mark?

2. I hand-cranked the engine until it started blowing air out #1 spark plug hole. Then I had to rotate the engine more than 1/2 turn before the notch was at its lowest point as the flywheel turned. Does this sound about right for having the engine ready to fire on #1 - assuming the answer to my first question is "yes"?

Thanks for any help with these questions!
Dave

WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:08pm
I may be wrong (not the first time!) but if yours is a hand crank, I believe you time it from the access plate on the top of the bell housing, not from the bottom like an electric start
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:16pm
Is it styled with a starter or unstyled without a starter?
unstyled
 Image result for Where do you look at the timing mark on a WC Allis Chalmers?
styled
Image result for Where do you look at the timing mark on a WC Allis Chalmers?
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:17pm
Interesting! Thanks, Joe & CTucker.

I just thought to check the positioning of the slots on the governor drive for the mag, and they were straight up and down. From what I've read, they should be at the 3-9:00 positions. Thus, whatever I have found seems wrong. So you may be onto something.

Posted above and then saw post from CTucker. Mine is most definitely unstyled with no starter. Thanks for the photos and information. I'll pull that top plate off tomorrow and have a look.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 03 Nov 2016 at 7:21pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 11:16am
Oh boy. Removed the plate and inspected. I can see the face of what I assume is the flywheel but not the outer edge as shown in CTucker's photo - that's the surface with the "F" stamped in it. I am puzzled indeed.

AHA! With my good wife helping me, we located the "F" mark on the face of the flywheel. Timed the engine and she ran!

Thanks for the help, guys!!

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 04 Nov 2016 at 2:50pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:53pm
 HI, I'm working on a 1936 unstyled with Mag timing I have been putting TDC on the bottom and #1 on TDC compression . The WC does Don't have a starter. I seen this post and put flywheel TDC in the top hole. Now #1 piston is not om TDC. The mag drive sets at  3 and 9. I do not have a hole in the side of the bell housing

So are the WC with a starter TDC is on top Hole. And #1 on TDC ???
the mag drive is right so is my gov. gear of time??
This is the first I heard of this timing on WC Unstyled??

Thank You
Rod in MN
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm
If you have the original flywheel without a starter ring gear, the Mark is on TOP for timing. If your flywheel has been changed for a starter, the mark is at the Bottom when #1 is at TDC. 
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:36pm
HI So if the flywheel has a ring gear the timing is on the bottom. If no ring gear timing is on top. I think I don't have a ring gear so I time it on top. But the #1 is not on TDC. So what do I do then.  Is #1 cylinder the one closest to the fan ????

Thank You
Rod in MN
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:25am
On Chevys and Allis's the cylinder farthest fwd is #1
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:49pm
HI  Guy's On this old day temp. Is -5 deg.  Ok is the TDC on top or is it the F mark in the top hole then is the piston on TDC. Because with the TDC mark on top the piston is not it at the bottom??  If I put the F mark on top will the piston be on top?? I'm at a Big Bump in the road to getting it done .

Thanks for All the Help
Rod in MN (cold MN)

This is the first unstyled I have restored. I have done  Styled WC,WD,WD45, IH W400, IH200,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:45pm
Best thing to do to just get it running is FORGET it has a timing mark on the flywheel. Find the compression stroke on Number 1 cylinder and bring that piston to the top. You can find this by feeling with a wire thru the plug hole AND the set screw on the front pulley I believe should be vertical.
Poiken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poiken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 10:53am
My 1937 WC has an F mark that is very east to see.  There is no mark for top dead center, but I believe it should be 3 inches before the F.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic