This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you do for work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you do for work?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:21pm
This may have been done before, but as I read these posts, I often wonder what some of you guys do for work. I assume most of us have some kind of farm background to have an interest in tractors, but what do you do to support your tractor "habit"?

I grew up on a dairy farm here in northern NY state and still live in the same small town I grew up in.

I was dairy farming and struggling, when I got a chance to go to work for NYSDOT as a laborer in November 1983. My goal was to get out of debt and return to farming. After a few years at DOT, I realized that my future was much brighter at DOT than it was farming. I did both until January 1998 when we lost our dairy barn in the worst ice storm our area had ever seen. We ended up selling the cows immediately and my Mom sold the farm a couple years later, after my Dad died.

I was promoted to a supervisor at DOT in 1994 and then to a second level supervisor in 2008, which was as high as I could go, without being an engineer. I retired in May of 2014 and, as my youngest granddaughter says, I am now a bum, since I don't have a full time job.

I served as Town Justice from 1984 to 1988. I returned to the Town Justice job in 2011 and have a little over 2 years left on my current term. For a small town, we have a very busy court, averaging about 75 cases per week.

I currently have 15 tractors (14 AC). My wife says the next one better have a cab, because I will end up sleeping in it.
Sponsored Links

Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:29pm
Grew up around uncles dairy farm and my parents HVAC business. I currently work as a service technician at a CaseIH dealership. And I own over 30 pieces of equipment. Mostly Allis, a few IH, a Versatile 145, 2 IH grain trucks, IH axial flow combine, which is actually a prototype, A Minnesota grain binder, Advance Rumely thresher... Some equipment I own with a couple good friends of mine.

I am currently 23 years old.

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 29 Aug 2016 at 9:32pm
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:31pm
I started in law enforcement right out of high school, and stayed in it in several forms...then took on dads farm when he retired, so I kept working to help fund the farming until I could get established. I have done about everything, not because I had to, but because I wanted the experience and to learn different things. I retired from law enforcement as a dispatcher and NCIC/NCIS professional. and was just forced retired from farming this year. I still have all my equipment, and a chance to farm again elsewhere if I want. right now i'm keeping busy doing nothing! hell of a job, but someone has to do it! 
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:54pm
My story is short.  I am born on a farm in THE Great State of INDIANA!  Due to the usual family stories, everyone wanted the farm after g/pa died.  G/ma had her favorite kid, bad news there.  The farm was to be divided up between the kids.  My g/pa and father had said I was to get most of it, but none of it happened.  After he died, we moved to town.  Now, you'd think our part of the farming was over-with.  Nope, just because she (g/ma) ran us off to town did not mean we were to not miss the work.  So, most my younger years was spent in a car, traveling after work/schools and weekends, to the farm working as our age abilities allowed.  Summers was spent there cultivating, slinging hay and staw, feeding those fartin beasties.  As I got older, I said enough of this baloney and stopped going.  I got a job in town and for the next few years forgot about what once was.  I got the itch to see the world about 23 yrs of age.  You can guess what happened next.  I joined the Air Force and never looked back.  I retired after 20some years.  Nothing to look back at, the feuding wound up as a sale and some one else now owns our family farm, gone, never to be again.  Very sad, my grand father worked his life, every waking minute on that piece of heaven to leave to his family.  After a stint as a truck driver, construction worker, my back took a turn for the worse.  Now I'm semi-retired.  I work when I freaking feel like it.  Which is 6 days a week on this farmstead, I filled it with animals... LOL  I do work for neighbors some during planting but during harvest I end up working alot.  Just got told I have close to 5K acres to chisel plow this fall.  As soon as the beans dry out and we start harvesting, I'm going to be having fun til freeze-up.  It's painful for me, but they tell me go at my rate, work as many hours a day as I can which usually tends to be 6 hours or so, then the bouncing gets my back in a mess.  I'm supposed to have a new tractor this fall with nice air ride, hope so.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Tcmtech View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tcmtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:56pm
I've always been an odd jobber myself.  Just like the lifestyle and the fact I don't have to deal with a idiot boss or manager every day other than myself. 

I've done many normalish jobs in my life but so far everyone of them has either ended from severely bad management/ownership issues I had to walk out on (literally in a few over the years)  or the companies simply going under. 

I've always had a passion for machinery and all things technical but unfortunately in my area people with skills were never seen as valuable  (most places I worked for sure billed me out like I was worth my weight in gold though) so I came to the conclusion that I was best off working for myself and doing seasonal jobs. Big smile  

Why work myself to death making some ungrateful dink rich-er when I can work for myself and make the same crappy pay but do it on half the working hours per year and have a lot more free time for the things I enjoy and keep some of the business away from him?   Wink

I did love my oilfield job though and would go back  to that tomorrow if things picked up around here again. Cry
DanC911 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanC911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:00pm
I grew up watching my dad go to work every day for a business telecom company.  We were far from rich but he bought our house, kept us fed (with the help of our 50 by 100 garden), and gave us a good life.

When it came time to choose a high school I went off to tech school to study electronics figuring I could do as well as my dad.  After high school I studied bio-medical engineering in college but I couldn't see myself sitting in a hospital basement calibrating IV pumps so I went to EMT school, Paramedic school, and spent the last 25 years as a firefighter.  

It went by very fast but I couldn't have asked for a better career.  It is an honor and a blessing to be able to help someone on the worst day of their life.  I cannot say the I've loved every minute of it but it is a fulfilling calling.  I'm not sure how much longer I am going to stay.  I am eligible for my pension now but there are a lot of things that may delay my retirement and relocation out of the People's Republic of Connecticut.

Like my dad, I never got rich.  But we own our home, have reliable cars, and there is a little left over for tractors!!
1950 WD, 1955 B, 66 Jacobsen Chief-O-Matic, 68 Simplicity 2110, 77 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/front loader
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
I still farm. We milked cows for 20 years. We now have a small beef herd and buy a few extra feeders to fatten. We grow and clean rye and oats as cover crop seed. I buy and sell(and usually fix) a few tractors and implements. It is getting much harder to pay the bills and not near the fun it use to be. Sometimes I think about getting a job and becoming a hobby farmer. Tom 
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
Duh ?
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:17pm
Farm with my uncle for "fun". Make my living as an Electrician. Wired everything from a house, to a hospital, a coal terminal, a nuclear chemical plant, schools, power plant, and currently doing a wast water treatment plant.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:18pm
Grew up on a dairy farm in South Dakota. Left to go to college, did a stint as draftsman/engineer for a time in SD and MI, wound up out in the great northwest 15 years ago and started collecting Allis stuff and doing custom tractor work to pay for it. I now have a good customer base and spend my time getting paid to play with my tractors...life is good!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:28pm
Been in tractor dealers most all my life, worked parts in 3 Ford dealers, one Kubota, and one Deere, took a 10 year detour to a Motion Picture Production company, made a good living, now retired at 56 and looking for a small farm to play on with my toys in North GA.
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:01pm
I mow pastures for people with my trusty 8N. 
But then again, I'm still in college. 
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:52pm
Raised on a dairy farm in Berne-Knox, New York 1953- 59 had Allis equip, Worked as assistant Herdsman in college (SUNY-Cobleskill) 2 years. Went to forestry college at Paul Smiths, got draft notice and ran to the Air Force recruiter and signed up. Eventually went to  Tucson, Arizona. Volunteered for Alaska, Office personnel read the request wrong and sent me to  Nebraska, as a weather computer operator. Worked on local dairy farms around Omaha in my spare time. Liked the area, less crowed than New York, Met the farmers daughter, married her, After the service worked as a carpenter, went to electronics school, worked as electronic technician, Lumber salesman, got a commercial pilot license, Went back to carpentry,  done remodeling ever since. retired 3 years ago. Still get calls. Have a small collection of 50's Allis equip. Re worked my 45D so kids could drive it under my supervision. Gave 30+ kids driving lessons one Sunday afternoon at the fair. One young fella say's Hey, this tractor has power steering it turns so easy. No it doesn't.
                                                                        Harold
jwal10 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwal10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:04am
Started life on a small dairy farm. Had polio at 7. Dad sold out when I was 8 and retired. A few cattle, some sheep and 50 acres of peppermint. Left home at 12 in '68 and started farming on my own. Sheared sheep up and down the west coast for a few years. Farmed until 1992 when health forced me out. Worked for the city in water treatment and distribution for 16 years, last 12 as the supervisor until my health went away again. Full retirement at 55. Renter of one of the farms wanted to give it up last year. Son has increased his operation and am helping him as I can, tractor driving and combine. Still building small rental cottages in my spare time for the kids. Working on 3 right now, get them weathered in and do the finish work in the winter. I am 60 now, not a lot of use of left hand and arm, had left ankle fused Feb. last. Gotta keep busy. Taking some trips to see Oregon now, Took I-5 to San Diego, back up the coast in the spring, up I-5 to Canada and back home this summer....James
7040 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:05am
Grew up on a dairy farm in southern wi. We also did custom farming, tillage,planting, bailing and grain harvest.we also did 95 % of are repairs. Dad said all of his kids were going to minimum of 1 year post high school education. I was going to attend uti to learn diesel mechanics and when previewing school dad asked how many kids were enrolled in the program tour guide said 483 they also tough hvac repair only 62 students. Dad talked me into the hvac class. I graduated from their in spring of 1993 on Monday of the following week I started working at my current job as an hvac repair technician and I'm still there. We rent out the farm and I work on tractors as one of my hobbies (all diesel so far butt I have a good chance at a little d15)
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:25am
Here is a change of pace.

I got drafted in 66 and did not have enough sense to get out until 90.

What a deal, right out of the chute Uncle sent me on a one whole year all expense paid vacation to sunny SE Asia.  Confused
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:30am
I grew up on a small beef farm in Michigan. It was dairy, started by my Grandpa in 1945, dad came home from the Air Force in 1960, they farmed it together for a while, Dad closed out the dairy when I was 2. He went to work as a policeman and kept the beef herd going. Too small to make a living off of, too big to be a "hobby".

I graduated from college and moved to Dayton, OH. I worked for a company that did construction engineering for heavy industry. From there I went to work at Ohio U in Athens. Built and demonstrated experiments, research and designed research rigs for clean coal, petroleum corrosion problems, biochemical. Now work for a cutting tool manufacturer "back home" and have that same farm still running. Still too small to make a living, still too big to be a hobby. Days are long sometimes.
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:34am
Watchmaker, farmer
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:35am
Grew up on a farm that raises corn and soybeans. Dad was making it until the drought of 88 when mom found a job in town. My brother and I would help dad when we were not in school. We both went to college at different schools and after different degrees. I came back and got a job as a custom applicator at Fs and helped dad when there was time (not much of that in peak seasons. Brother came back and started hauling bottled water for a company in town. He would help when he was off also. I got married and started a family. Then my brother and I formed a parter ship and went in with dad on the farm. Brother got married and started a family and lives a couple of miles away from the farm. I live on the farm now after trading places with mom and dad. A tornado hit our farm back in 2009 and wiped the building off the place and damaged some of the machinery. We've rebuilt a shed and what equipment we have and have upgraded a few things. Dad passed away from cancer in Feb of 2015 right before he would of turned 75. We are still farming our ground and working our full time jobs. I am now the plant manager where I work and brother is driving for a trucking company not to far away. Brother and I are the forth generation to farm most of our ground and hoping to pass it on onto the fifth that we have watching and learning from us.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:48am
 I have worked in the aggregate industry my whole life and  now run a custom crushing and recycling company. I quit farming shortly after dad passed away in 1975.  Mom kept the home place when I sold out and actually is responsible for kindling my interest in old A-Cs when in 1999 she asked me to restore the one tractor we didnt sell,  Dad's 1938 model  A which I still have. Try to restore that tractor lead me here and I have been bumming around this place ever since.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:05am
Grew up on a farm in southern Iowa always had 200+ head of steers in the feed lot. I started operating a tractor when I was 6. Was in the field buy myself when I was 10, mowed raked and baled all the hay till I got out of high school. Picked corn, pumped water by hand for these fat cattle, shelled ear corn etc, etc. Had to do the neighbors work for him, big man over 6'3", but had alheimers, of he got out of site of his house he was lost. He was very mean, comes from the alheimers. I started operating his 2-8-9N fords in 1961. got outa highschool went to computer processing college, went to the army in 1969, got out bought a fuel company did that for 15 years, sold that and started a tire shop selling everything from 4 wheeler tires to the huge earthmover tires. back went completely bad so I sold that and went towork for a pal in the car buiness. Now collect accounts for him. Not the job I want, but the only thing I can do.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:22am
I run a company that does Computer Repair and Commercial Construction Drafting.
Farming is still helping out my dad (He's 86). Would love to have my own place to work my 8 A-C's, but land is very high around here.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:03am
I grew up on my Uncle's dairy farm over in Hokah, MN.  GREAT years and ones that I'll never forget.  Started out with horses and then he bought an Allis CA and then a WD45.  Neighbor had a WD......what a difference in those two!!  Later on I also worked in my other Uncle's gas station, it was a Shell station.  Learned to FIX stuff........"it's already broke, so just take it apart and fix it!" 
Gragiated out of high school and then.....

I too was like 'Dave H'....
"What a deal, right out of the chute Uncle sent me on a one whole year all expense paid vacation to sunny SE Asia.  Confused"

Came back to the states and started on the La Crosse Fire Department and spent 33 years there helping people and being a pita at work to the upper echelon.  Miss the guys, but don't miss the politics and paper work.

Retired and started buying Allis stuff and spending my time 'up Nort' on my hobby farm, fixing up A-C stuff and buying more.......  I think the only disease I have......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:55am
Grew up working on trucks and equipment in a family owned auto dealer in a small town in west central Wisconsin. I ended up getting a degree in Diesel Heavy Equipment in Kansas and came back to Wisconsin to work for CNH Industrial. Currently I manage all brands (Case, Case IH, and New Holland) training for North America.

Edited by bigredisb - 30 Aug 2016 at 10:56am
farminharmon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farminharmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:05am
Grew up on a family farm.  Went off to study Agriculture at college.  Now work for the local Soil and Water Conservation District, farm 250 beef cows/calfs, and do some livestock watering systems and fence on the side.
B110 CA D10II (2)D12III 5040 5050 6080 170
JD5205 Kubota M9000 Kubota M95S
jordo2011 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordo2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:10am
I grew up on a crop farm of about 400 acres with a few sheep and horses. spent my days balancing school, athletics, music and farm work. I was riding in the tractor with dad since i can remember. anyway, after i got done with college, i began working as a field man for a large swine company, but i was 2.5 hours from the farm. after three and a half years of that, i moved back home to the farm to try and start farming on my own. i currently work a sales job at a factory, manage 3,300 head of pigs, and work on the farm with my family (which has grown to just shy of 700 acres now). I will be 28 in a week, and i have been married for a whopping 5 weeks :) i'm hoping to have some ground of my own within the next year or so, and maybe a few of my dad's orange tractors!

Edited by jordo2011 - 30 Aug 2016 at 11:10am
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:08pm
My grandfather was a tenant farmer for the first 6 years of my dad's life. Grandpa had 7 kids and quit farming took a job with the state of Indiana as the dreaded milk inspector. Dads older half brother farmed with his grand parents and dad grew up on that farm. Dad took a job as a hired hand for an older farmer in 1978 one year after I was born...Dad worked for the old man till 1981 and the old man retired,selling all of the equipment to Dad..u guessed it..it was all orange. Dad farmed that families 1200 acres until 2000 when the old man died and his greedy sister wanted to split the farm up.Dad got a job at the local school as a janitor and bus driver.I always have worked off the farm hauling grain. Ten years ago our local co-op was looking for a petroleum transport driver and I took that job and continued to farm with Dad on the remaining acres. Dad is now the director of maintenance at the school,he will be 60 on Saturday and I will be 40 in February. I've got two boys that help on the farm now one is 17 the other 13
charlesbendal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesbendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:20pm
I was born in 1993 which makes me 22 years old at the moment. Dad and grandpa used to be partners with 3 other people at the largest farm in the county at the time it was about 2300 acres when I was 6 dad and grandpa got forced out and dad started installing kitchens for Kahles kitchens. He would do roofs siding and remodeling weekends and evenings. As I got older I would help more and more. I'm 2003 dad bought the farm I currently live on at an auction because it went so cheap. In 2005 we planted strawberries and got our first crop in 2006. We also planted pumpkins that year. In 2007 or 2008 one of the neighbors said we could farm his ground for free he had about 60 acres. Dad agreed to it. Then we had to have a bin a combine and a dryer dad said you can't justify all that for 70 acres so we kept picking up more ground. Fast forward to 2016 and we have about 70 acres hay 8 acres strawberries 10 acres pumpkins 900 acres corn 400 acres soybeans. My brother just graduated a year ago and we're both here full time. I keep learning to fix more and more. I keep up with this page mostly just to read and learn
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:06pm
I'm a former Chevy/Cadillac technician. Fully ASE certified. For the last nine years I have worked as a cat/ Mitsubishi on road forklift tech. But after the end of the year we will be loosing the cat/Mit franchise( they pulled some agco like ba on us) and will be changing brands.
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:26pm
I grew up around my grandparents pullet poultry farm. Also some cows and a little hay. Pawpaw told me to go to school and learn something besides farming so I did. I went to tech school in '99 and got my first machine shop job in 2000. A couple of years later one of the chicken houses burned and my grandparents were told they would have to rebuild the one that burned and upgrade the other two. Pawpaw told them "I'm 71 years old. Kiss my ass" and I thought that was the end of my chicken farming days.

Fast forward 15 years, I quit my last machine shop job after 10 years and I now run a 4 house broiler poultry farm for my in-laws. We house between 75000 and 80000 chickens for 6 weeks at a time. Pawpaw told me to do something besides chicken farming and, as usual, I didn't listen. This is one time I'm glad I didn't.

Here's a little look into our operation

http://allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=126961&title=chicken-pictures

Edited by thendrix - 30 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic