This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toilets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toilets
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:01am
Need to get some new ones.
Looked on Home Depot and Lowes and there is only about 500 to choose from.
Need one turbo flush for the downstairs and 2 other normal ones.
Anyone have any insight into brands that are decent? Don't want to get crazy on price.
$150 or there abouts.
Wife wanted me to check them out beings it's black Friday but there is too many.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:18am
American Standard Cadet Pro . Taller Elongated model best flusher on the market .Cannot get this exact model at Lowe's ,Menards , or Home Depot.. They do sell American Standard toilets but the numbers dont match. Plumbers don't want people to be able to go to the big box stores and compare prices. So big companies make a product line they only sell to pros .If you cannot find a wholesale house in your area to sell you one go Lowe's and find an American Standard tall elongated that uses 1.6 gallons per flush. Most now are 1.28 gpf so be careful. Will still be a good flushing toilet. Be prepared to spend more than 150. Not buying this for a couple weeks. Good toilet should last 30 years
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:21am
Oh ,, if you buy a toilet in a box with everything you need in it . Buy a different seat. The cheap ones that come in the box with the toilet are worthless, just like the toilet bolts an wax seal that comes with it . They are trying to make that kit as cheap as they can.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:22am
OK, get all 3 the same....or at least measure the floor to azz height and be 100% SURE they are all the same distance !!! It's a REAL PITA when 2 toilets are NOT the same height.
Those 2 stage toilets, the norm these dayze, are ,well, krappy....2 HD units here,yes the same, do NOT clean the side wall of the bowl, so buy new brushes while you're there. lo flow 'water saver' models all need 2-3 flushes to do the job.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:36am
Ditto what Pat the plumber said, about everything from the toilet, to an up-graded seat and wax ring. Have one at home, and works great. At a motel right now with a cheap, low to the floor one that really stinks! Pun intended. Currently, it's plugged up. Darrel
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:37am
Been looking online and 150 ain't going to get it.
Going to have to be a regular height and no chair height and 12" rough in.
Shetland people live here.

My youngest son has been digging for a local plumber. Have to have him check with him and see what supplier he goes through. Never thought of that till you brought that up Pat.
Won't be doing anything till the snow starts flying and cold after the first of the year.
But if I have everything here I can do it then.

Gotta cut firewood now before Sunday before the predicted snow coming in.
Feel like chit, flu or some crap. Gotta get it done anyway.

Thanks for the input guys.
I appreciate it.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:41am
We have a Jacuzzi and an American Standard. I agree with Jay on the height. they have 14.5 inch and 16.5 inch. Older / taller people may prefer the 16.5 inch height.

Pat is right on the 1.6 gal high velocity units. Old toilets had a flapper valve about 2 inches in diameter inside the tank. New ones are about 4 inches. The VOLUMN and SPEED that the water moves into the bowl and down the drain in amazing. That American Standard will suck a basketball down the drain ! Wink   The old days of double flushes are gone with these new units. They have STAR ratings at most stores on each unit. Many will rate them by the VOLUMN of solids the remove in 1 flush... 8-9-10 are good.  Get one with  GOOD PERFORMANCE no matter what the brand.

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Nov 2018 at 8:51am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:50am
I bought 3 Mansfield units - elongated bowl - one ADA for master bath - regular height on main bath . 
 I have a Mansfield I bought when i built the house in 1970, in basement bath. Has been no problem with any part even when wife had ceramic studio and 20 women using it on class days . 
 Like the Mansfield flush system where when lifting handle you can close the flush valve from emptying tank into bowl . 
 Son put in a American Standard with the 3" flush ballcock - replaced the operating arm about 3 times in 5 years and replaced the chain to it several times also as lifting the ballcock takes to much strain on arm . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:59am
I think I know what to look for now from your input and what I have looked into.
Kinda reminds me of Al Bundy on Married With Children. He wanted some kind of Turbo flush toilet. When he flushed you could hear it down the block.
I think he was trying to figure a way to get one installed in his recliner so he would never have to get up.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:41am
If you have the old fashioned 3 gallon ones, your best bet is to rebuild them.  It costs much less and you will have less problems with their operation.  You need a new oring and bolts for between the pot and the tank, and a new valve, float and flapper for the tank.  A new handle is optional! 

If that is not an option, then get a new one that is completely assembled, seat, tank everything.  I think Koeler is one brand that sells them.  The last time I installed one I used a plastic accordian style ring instead of wax.  It went together a lot easier than wax and I didn't have to buy two, like I always did with wax rings!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:56am
I will only buy Kohler,  had one of the American Standard ones that they claimed could flush like 100 golf balls, had to plunge the stupid thing all the time, never liked it.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:39pm
Pat, thanks for the advice on the toilets. I am glad we have a good "plumbing advisor" on the Forum. I don't need any right now but if I get around to improving some things at the farm house I am going to upgrade the toilets and I will keep your advice in mind.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:43pm
Getting so ya can't even poop no more without paying a study group to tell you how.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:51pm
When built our house bought American Standard Cadet 3 'Comfort Height', wife wishes we had bought ONE regular height but is OK with them. Had a aged relative visit, had some constipation issues where when went was like two days worth at once. Asked what kind of toilet as NEEDED one for their house as Did NOT stop up with the load he laid in it. We also have full 4" pvc drain piping in the house to 5" below grade so ALL flushes pretty easy.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Dave in PA Dave in PA wrote:

I will only buy Kohler,  had one of the American Standard ones that they claimed could flush like 100 golf balls, had to plunge the stupid thing all the time, never liked it.

I know there are good and bad but i agree.  The Kohler is king for me, but I havbe no idea on price comparison since i think the Kohlers are gonna outlive me.

He He it seems it is gonna be somebody else's stinking problem.  LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:13pm
Kohler makes a good flushing toilet also and would be my second choice. 2 reasons; mounting bracket between tank and bowl can only be tightened so much and tank will move when leaned against, second Kohler toilets have to have specific Kohler replacement parts like flush valve seal and handle. Still a good flushing toilet. Several customers expect me to come back for free to tighten a tank that cannot be tightened without breaking it. If you need replacement parts nights , weekends or Holidays good luck. I know American Standard is made out of country but this is based on performance only. If American made is important buy a Kohler, you will still get a quality piece. Other than those 2 brands I would not waste my time.

Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:46pm
get the taller ones if buying new, some of the cheap ones is like sitting on the floor.When you get older you will appreciate the taller one.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:58pm
Im 62. The one I trained on is up the road at my daughters(where I grew up) and still going.Had a few replacement parts over the years but good as ever.Man that thing flushes for a while....LOL!  So,the moral of the story is...don't skimp on price/quality for a crapper cause it will last for YEARS!!!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:53am
I spose 5 gallon buckets are out of the question? wally world has seats that fit them!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:02am
Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumpers!!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:29am
Seems Mansfield is one of the few that uses 3 mounting bots for the tank to the bowl fastening . I didn't realize that until installing the new ADA unit, I appreciate it now as old unit would have tank move when someone leaned back hard against tank . 
 Seems Mansfield has 3 grades they sell in kit form - unsure of the difference between them . 
 I do like the fact you can lift handle on the unit and shut off the flush . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I spose 5 gallon buckets are out of the question? wally world has seats that fit them!

I thought the 5 gallon bucket was the "new right height" dumpers

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I am waiting for the ol............................ loving wife's report on the commode being replaced with a 5 gallon bucket.LOL
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 5:41pm
had a guy work for me while back, he could stop up a five gallon bucket, saw a toilet run from him once, glad he somebody else's problem now.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:30pm
Unless your old toilets are broken I will second the recommendation to just rebuild them. Or are they pink, harvest gold or avocado green?😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic