This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Today's New Hires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today's New Hires
    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:57pm
I was at our local Pizza place last Wednesday night for  a tractor club meeting .  I had written down what kinds of pizza we wanted for our meeting and the new waitress looked at it and said that I would have to help her as she didn't know how to read Cursive writing, I guess i should have texted her !
Sponsored Links

TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:11pm
I love giving youngsters at the cashier coins, never fails that they always ask me "is it correct"? with a look of panic on their face.
If they did not have the computerized register or a calculator, they could not make change.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:46pm
What irritates me is how many people want to use their credit card to buy a small item, for instance, at the Farmers Market I will sell one peach for a buck, knowing that 3/4's of the buyers will come back in a few minutes and buy a pound or more for $4 lb.  I can hardly ever get my square reader to work and then people start piling up wanting to pay.  We have  "Market Bucks",  $5 coupons people can buy from the Farmers Market Info stand, which is right across from my stand.  I would much rather take a market buck script and give change then have to mess around with a credit card.  I make change all day at the Market so when I buy something at a store and pay cash, I usually have the changed due me figured out before the clerk gets the info from the register.
I think the young lady at the Pizza place maybe better learn to read cursive, it might just come in handy someday!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
that's pretty sad... both stories,  Ron and Tim.......school does not do much good for a lot of kids.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:08am
The infamous "Dumbing Down of America".
And they're succeeding.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:23am
It's not just academics... a group of us were at a local pizza place some years back, maybe even in the 90s I don't recall. Anyhow, one of the ladies was ordering the pizzas and to be funny said something like, "Three large pizzas with everything on it except anchovies." The kid behind the counter looks at her and said, in all seriousness, "I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have anchovies, you're going to have to order it without something else."
That's not uneducated or wrongly educated, that's just plain DUMB.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:54am
Preaching to the Choir here, I take full advantage of disrupting the Peace by handing these kids Cursive notes, allowing them to ring up a bill then hand them a $20 and the loose change to see them lock up. Common Core Math, Common Core English all these So Called socially acceptable teaching methods dumbing down our population.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 11:45am
If they can't think for themselves, they'll vote for us..... and they ARE
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
Ted J hit it on the head!--- YA, the country is in bad shape, no wonder the illegals and third world terrorists have taken over America!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:32pm
Many of the GOOD teachers have gotten out of education because of political correctness.
There is no effective discipline in schools anymore.  If a kid needs "The Board of Education" applied to their bottom, the teacher gets sued and or fired.
I quit teaching in the 1984 because I was afraid I WOULD SOLVE the discipline problems.  No balls administrators dump the problems back on to the teacher.
Disruptive kids make it hard for the teacher to teach and the good kids to learn.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:30pm
Very true Clay and the problem all starts at home. We will get a lawyer, they teacher their children no displine at home
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:50pm
My parents taught  respect for ourselves, others and our elders.  
Children are like a new load of cattle dumped into a pasture.
The first thing cattle do is to find out where the fences are located and if there are any holes.   Kids need to know how far they can go before they get in trouble.  Once the boundaries are established, life is much easier.
I got along well with my teachers because I knew just how far I could go.  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:45am

Along those same lines,,,,,the local Burger King went thru an almost total reconstruction that took bout three months to complete,,so they laid off the workers.. The sad thing is that before the face lift they had pretty good service and people ,,,,,and,,,,enough of them. NOW,,,it takes them so dang long to get your groceries to you that I have dang near stopped going because of it. I finally asked the Mgr and she looked so sad and said "IF" I could hire some people that WANT to work,,I would!! She told me before the face lift, she would only show up 3-4 hours per day just to check in. NOW,,she works 14 hours per day, every day just to keep the doors open and is constantly calling Workforce Connection for applicants but none show up,,,,,,,, So Sad when the work is there but no workers,,,,,
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:51am
Basics not taught anymore, used to think watching Jethro on Beverly Hillbilly's was funny, now you look at basics left out and Jethro looks like a rocket scientist.
Agenda has changed and kids are told to be more "aware" of who they are and to be whatever they want to be.
Basics have been left behind, now we need a third bathroom . . . .
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:33am
Cursive is not required in school anymore. I just had two graduate HS :( 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:42am
re: Today's New Hires...
and I thought this was about rootbeer.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:19am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Along those same lines,,,,,the local Burger King went thru an almost total reconstruction that took bout three months to complete,,so they laid off the workers.. The sad thing is that before the face lift they had pretty good service and people ,,,,,and,,,,enough of them. NOW,,,it takes them so dang long to get your groceries to you that I have dang near stopped going because of it. I finally asked the Mgr and she looked so sad and said "IF" I could hire some people that WANT to work,,I would!! She told me before the face lift, she would only show up 3-4 hours per day just to check in. NOW,,she works 14 hours per day, every day just to keep the doors open and is constantly calling Workforce Connection for applicants but none show up,,,,,,,, So Sad when the work is there but no workers,,,,,

That’s interesting and ironic Joe. Our McDonalds did the exact same thing. Used to stop in for a quick coffee and breakfast sandwich; after the remodel, you go in and think maybe quicker to go in the back and fix your own...... and the more I look at the people doin the fixin, I kinda ain’t too hungry all of a sudden
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Today's New Hires...
and I thought this was about rootbeer.....

lolClap
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm
Seems the idea everyone deserves $15 a hour - well sounds great EXCEPT I know many people who are in business for themselves or are retired who do not get $15 a hour and CANT AFFORD TO GO PLACES where workers say they are worth $15 a hour . 
 Little bistro and local watering hole had great food and reasonable prices - one waitress who always waited on wife and myself - unsure what she got paid but a $5 or $10 tip was cheap for the service she gave , from a smile and friendly greeting to personality that just said a beautiful person within - 
 One friend that was with us one night to eat out said Amanda was worth $40 a hour wage in any restaurant that hired her - she was the type of person who made a business thrive .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:56pm
Sure know enough of those type Coke, also know those leaning at the service counter ignoring patrons and EXPECTING large tips. Overheard a couple on a 'Smoke Break' while leaving a establishment, complaining of the patrons expecting THEM to drop their phones and serve them, not been back to that place since.
Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:51am
We were taught cursive in second grade (2006-7?) and were expected to at least retain enough to sign our full name. My great-grandmother used to write me letters in cursive, so I can read it fairly well, but writing is a little harder. After she passed away I hardly see it anymore. They dropped cursive not long after I learned, but I think my school teaches it again now. I see a big difference in myself and my younger brother. When I was little we had outside, toy tractors, legos, books, ect. We could think of so many things to do that we were never bored. We weren't well off enough to have any games until I was in high school and got along just fine. My younger brother on the other hand as pretty much always had a four-wheeler, games, a phone on top of all the things we and still acts like hes always bored. When power went out the other night he about went insane "with nothing to do." I just read a book. Big differences not just between generations, but also within generations. Im trying to be vigilant so when I start having kids I can raise them right.
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:33am
I forget which country but there is one that has teachers on the same level as doctors and lawyers as far as prestige and pay. Because of this teaching jobs are very much sought after and only the best of the best are hired for those positions and thus the schools are the best in making sure every student is instructed until they get it. I believe there are also several teaching assistants in each classroom.

The trouble is here that everyone wants good schools but no one wants to pay for it. The kids are our country's future.   If we pay more for schools we will have to build fewer prisons

Ok I'll get off the soap box now.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Very true Stan, it's sad
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:53pm
re:.... The kids are our country's future.

well considering whe they're being taught up here ,north of the 49th,... Canada's sunk....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:33am
Kids today,
Make them work outside for 30 min, temp 28, wc 17 and they will just go to sleep on you.

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:29pm

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:01am
Smart little tyke. LOL
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:59am
Can one of you folks explain what their mark looks like?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:01pm
I think you bought the lie Stan. Money is not what will solve the problem. The money throwed that way has went nothing but up and the results have went down. Private schools provide better results on much less. Point is...money is not the problem.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
Stan here in my school district I feel the money is dis proportionally spent on sports and all sorts of programs that have nothing to do with academics.  Like 7 million spent for football field and rubberized track and grandstands that they never fill up. 
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic