This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To The Landlords ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To The Landlords ??
    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Tonight was the first time I've been out to the farm since the tenant harvested the beans. I was appalled at the amount of standing/bent over bean stalks as far as-the-eye(mine) could see Confused. I mentioned this to dad and he said they came in with a 35' JD draper head/9'ish series Green combine pushing 5-6 mph Shocked. Perhaps that's the "norm" for losses as a renter, but DAMN, where's the pride of doing a good job, and do you guys just shrug your shoulders after glancing at your fields or just cash your check and not even look over the fence/lawn line ??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:27pm
Do you get CASH RENT, or do you have SKIN IN THE GAME ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
so, silly me, I'm wondering if you (or someone) could go over the field again ?
I know the farmer up the road is OK with us grabbing a few bags of taters the HUGE machinery didn't get !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
Actually 7+mph is doable with a 35’ draper header. But doable equates to ideal conditions - good upright standing soybeans, dry stems(less green stems), corresponding reel speeds, good solid roots to soil(little to no soft soils), good cutter bar sickle, and cooperative weather.

Unharvested/Pushed over plants are unacceptable. So you might ask custom operators if they were pushing speeds due to incoming weather??

Edited by AC7060IL - 29 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Dad cash rents for now but has pride in leaving as little-as-possible grain in the field after harvest Wink. You must be a tenant or a BTO ?? Unlike DT, most of us have a sense of pride WinkWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

so, silly me, I'm wondering if you (or someone) could go over the field again ?
I know the farmer up the road is OK with us grabbing a few bags of taters the HUGE machinery didn't get !

You're not silly, the weather window is closing too fast for me to get off of work to do just that Cry, dad can't climb the ladder anymore, and that's worse than seeing all of the beans left OuchConfused
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Pride in doing a good job Confused That just isn't how things are done anymore, it's all about time/cost efficiency or at least someone's perception of it.  Have you ever been to a plow day? Today there is nearly two generations of people that have not had to plow. When I was young, if the furrows were not straight and even, or one corn stalk was showing in a 40 acre field, I would hear about the terrible job I'd done on this or that field until next year. Same went for a raggedy job mowing a hayfield, nowadays I see those disc mowers leaving as much as they cut. Very few places even farm in the corners anymore, because it take too much time, it's just faster to make a huge wide turn at full throttle. So they continue the weed problem that can't be controlled.  My grandfathers would be rolling in their grave if they saw what passes for farming in today's world.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:05pm
I would say that you always have “skin in the game” when renting. This is my opinion since you asked. As a landlord, you want the land to be productive as possible, for multiple reasons; you want the tenant to be happy with his yields and make good profit(this is what makes your land desirable), nice crops do not get overlooked by others(demand for your land in the future), and if there is a nutrient management/crop insurance plan involved, low yields don’t seem to help around here. Now— if you don’t mind watching someone fail, take the check while it’s available.

Edited by allisbred - 29 Oct 2020 at 8:06pm
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:23pm
Freed, there are guys that just don't give two cents but normally a farmer tries his best to get what's out there, his livelihood depends on it.  Maybe with the condition of the crop and the equipment they had to work with that was the best they could do,  I don't know but maybe they just don't give a shi$.  Around here the ones that don't give a shi$ don't stay in business.  I've been appalled at the job I've done in the past in certain conditions but it was the best I could do.  Had a 115 acre field of Milo get hit by a 70+mph wind and it was flat as could be.  Spent 3 days cutting it with crop lifters, pickup real, and washing out the sieves twice a day and got 70 bu/acre and I can guarantee you I left 40 bu/acre on the ground.  I was sick knowing what was out there but couldn't do anything about it.  I felt real worthless in the spring when I farmed it all into the ground.  It was on crop share rented land that a lady from GA owns and believe me I told her straight up the situation.  There wasn't a snowballs chance in hell she would have known but I wanted her to know.  So in your case it could be the same situation but they cash rent so they're out 100% of what was left so why explain it?  If they just slop through it like that you probably will be looking for a new renter before long.  Leaving $10 beans in the field for the sake of quantity of acres and not quality of job will put you out of business pretty quick in my opinion.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Dad cash rents for now but has pride in leaving as little-as-possible grain in the field after harvest Wink. You must be a tenant or a BTO ?? Unlike DT, most of us have a sense of pride WinkWink

Freed, come on now leave your political hissy fits in the political section.  I can tell you Steve wouldn't drag that over here.

Edited by Kansas99 - 29 Oct 2020 at 9:31pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:46pm
So the moral to the story is YOU DONT HAVE THE TIME and DAD IS TO OLD... So you CASH RENT..........Really not your problem.... Instead of asking us WHAT HAPPENED, why not ask the RENTER if you really want to know !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:24pm
I share rent to my farmer and he has 35ft draper head running over 5mph and the field lots great and no popped open pods!   My renter alwasy says i'm fair to him and he wants to be fair to me!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:55pm
welcome to my world! our renters last year left just shy of 11 b/a in the field. but according to the stockholders they are very good farmers, always have clean new green machines! they didn't think 11 b/a was all that bad! they used a 20 ft header. when i farmed that ground i also had a 20 ft header and traded it for a 13 ft (really wanted a 15 ft, but couldn't find one at the time), the 20 ft header was leaving to much on the side hills. i was able to get most all of the beans with the 13 ft. minus shatter loss at the sickle. they said i wasn't a good farmer, using smaller equipment! can't tell them anything, they know it all! i too haVE bean stalks bent over and unharvested in the fields. i even see a green pathway thru the fields where the grain came out the back. that's on both corn and beans. but they tell everyone how fast they can harvest with their new machines! like said above, they can't plant the corners either, and any curve they make they can't harvest that either, we've filled pickup boxes full of ear corn that they ran down trying to make the curves. we rent for 50/50...but the stockholders pay out $247 per acre as our share of the input costs. last time i farmed it my input costs were below $100 per acre and i raised 150-200 corn and 60+ bu beans. same as what they claim they are doing now. they sell pioneer seed so that's what is planted, they plant irrigated populations on dryland. 1 ear per stalk and they are small. ya'll check your crop insurance, ours signed up they get 75% and we get 25%. told that to the self appointed farm manager and all he could say is they wouldn't do that! but i saw the paperwork from the adjuster and that's what it showed. the stockholders won't say anything to them! no wonder there's a waiting list for others to farm our farm! oh....and don't let them use the yield monitor in their combines as bu/ac to figure out the 50/50%, it is not accurate and can be set in the combine owners favor. when it comes to sell, the landlords share is always real short.   
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:57pm
can ya'll tell....i'm a bit...bitter?
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:17am
If you see a pattern repeat itself year after year then it might be time for a change.  We sent our BTO a letter of termination this summer.  Decided they had to go when all they do if farm the land without taking care of the land.  One of my friends farms the neighbors place and the difference is night and day.  You can guess who is farming it next year.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:22am
Have a lease on our place where the renters tend to get a little less than after it for Fences or mowings and fertilizing but they have had a couple bad years with beef taking a HUGE hit, then a couple of injuries over the last year and becoming excessively extended on leases where they are trimming back.

I cut them some slack even as do not make much on the rent they pay on time and do eventually take care of issues.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 3:06pm
I've rented my land to my best friend for almost 30 years.  We have a 50/50 crop-share rental arrangement.  Never had a written lease.  We split seed, chemical, and fertilizer costs.  He provides the equipment.  I pay the real estate taxes.  In my opinion, it's worked out to be the most "fair" way to rent a farm.

I know there are other landlords that receive cash rent.  That's fine if that works best for them.  But, they are then not taking any risk (assuming their getting paid at the start of the crop year).  I've seen too many greedy landlords over the years.  And, some crazy tenants (that pay too high of a cash rent).  Some are BTO's, some are just smaller farmers.  It takes all kinds...
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:45pm
Any deal (either written by a high priced lawyer or a handshake) can only be as good as the honor of the least of the two parties involved. Just ask Harry Ferguson about Henry Ford Thumbs Down
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 3:37pm
We cash rent ours and maintain the waterways at our expense and he mows them and keeps the proper width of them. -- he also shows us his elevator papers and yield charts from his combine which gives us a better idea of how the farm is doing.
We ask his input and both parties share the farm production data to keep the rent fair for both sides---neither of us have anything to hide and he does respect the land, so we got lucky with this guy and plan on keeping him!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 4:49pm
So many ways to take this, but at the center of it your dad seems to still make the decisions. Is he happy? If he is end of story.

Depending on how big of BTO farms the ground, he can do no better than help he has to do the job.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Freed, come on now leave your political hissy fits in the political section.  I can tell you Steve wouldn't drag that over here.
What are you insinuating ?? I mentioned No names ?? 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

welcome to my world! our renters last year left just shy of 11 b/a in the field. but according to the stockholders they are very good farmers, always have clean new green machines! they didn't think 11 b/a was all that bad! they used a 20 ft header. when i farmed that ground i also had a 20 ft header and traded it for a 13 ft (really wanted a 15 ft, but couldn't find one at the time), the 20 ft header was leaving to much on the side hills. i was able to get most all of the beans with the 13 ft. minus shatter loss at the sickle. they said i wasn't a good farmer, using smaller equipment! can't tell them anything, they know it all! i too haVE bean stalks bent over and unharvested in the fields. i even see a green pathway thru the fields where the grain came out the back. that's on both corn and beans. but they tell everyone how fast they can harvest with their new machines! like said above, they can't plant the corners either, and any curve they make they can't harvest that either, we've filled pickup boxes full of ear corn that they ran down trying to make the curves. we rent for 50/50...but the stockholders pay out $247 per acre as our share of the input costs. last time i farmed it my input costs were below $100 per acre and i raised 150-200 corn and 60+ bu beans. same as what they claim they are doing now. they sell pioneer seed so that's what is planted, they plant irrigated populations on dryland. 1 ear per stalk and they are small. ya'll check your crop insurance, ours signed up they get 75% and we get 25%. told that to the self appointed farm manager and all he could say is they wouldn't do that! but i saw the paperwork from the adjuster and that's what it showed. the stockholders won't say anything to them! no wonder there's a waiting list for others to farm our farm! oh....and don't let them use the yield monitor in their combines as bu/ac to figure out the 50/50%, it is not accurate and can be set in the combine owners favor. when it comes to sell, the landlords share is always real short.   
I was hoping you chimed in Shameless Wink. This is the old mans first harvest TRULY sitting on the sidelines as a landlord and was APPALLED at the amount of $$ laying in his field ConfusedConfused
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

If you see a pattern repeat itself year after year then it might be time for a change.  We sent our BTO a letter of termination this summer.  Decided they had to go when all they do if farm the land without taking care of the land.  One of my friends farms the neighbors place and the difference is night and day.  You can guess who is farming it next year.
This is the tenants first harvest, and they are on a "yearly" lease ?? Big shiny JD equipment, lowest bidder,  "BUT" they pay on time ConfusedConfused??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

So many ways to take this, but at the center of it your dad seems to still make the decisions. Is he happy? If he is end of story.

Depending on how big of BTO farms the ground, he can do no better than help he has to do the job.

It's ALL family Ouch
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm

Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

It's ALL family Ouch

Ask Shameless how well that works...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:13am
Out of curiosity, how many of you landlords have imput into the decisions about farming practices allowed on your leased ground? I don't rent a lot of ground, but the land I do rent, the landlord has specific goals for the land long term. Usually this mean crop rotations including hay, maintaining soil ph and minimizing plowing. I doesn't hurt that my big tractor is a wd 45 so I get a couple of irregularly shaped fields. There are a lot of people who will take less money if they feel the land is being taken care of.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:45am
Our renters get with us as to improvements or changes with offers as to those changes using their best judgement.  I knew when we bought as had a renter that renting was a good choice to keep the land active and in structured use, alternates as to usage and what to place and why has always been a dynamic opportunity as well conversation.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 7:50am

Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

What are you insinuating ?? I mentioned No names ?? 

Oh puh-lease! When you quote someone and toss in a known jab like that you expect it wouldn’t look like a political jab from the basement section?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:19pm
I walked down the road yesterday to look at the farm I used to own. Neighbors plowed under the hay on the bottom and planted corn. I wish I still had my Gleanor combine with the low profile corn head. I'll bet I'd get another 20 BPA. Renter must not have cared, his 4 row corn head left most of the lower ears. Yes he was moving thru the field. A whole lot of corn simply left standing in the field. But I guess someone has to feed these dam deer. I did it for 20 + years.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm
JAY , If the guy pays cash rent for fields , what makes anyone think they can just go in and combine what he missed . 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic