This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TL loader with Detroit diesel??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TL loader with Detroit diesel??
    Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:42pm
There is a TL loader listed locally that says it has the 4-53 Detroit diesel in it. I can't find it in Norm's book....anybody know which model it might be? It looks like a TL-14 or bigger.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:53pm
My guess would be that it's a transplanted engine, but I could be wrong. Darrel
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 6:29pm
2 strokes weren't used in the small TL loaders. To my knowledge, they weren't used in any wheel loaders
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:58pm
a TL-12 loader. It's a 4WD, rear wheel steer, with 2-71 Detroit Diesel engine.
iceberg210 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceberg210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:09pm
Definately a repower.

Allis only used Detroit Diesels up until GM bought out Euclid which made a lot of construction machinery folks move away from using the Jimmy Diesel not wanting to support what was now a competitor. Allis in particular combated this by buying Buda engines and used them from then on as their engine choices. Tractomotive which was the Allis offshoot that then was bought out by Allis was started after that transition so to my knowledge none ever came off the line with a Jimmy Diesel, although I'm sure it's a very common repower as is a Jimmy diesel in anything, cause they're so plentiful come in so many different sizes and last forever...  I know that my TL 12 which is one generation earlier than this was originally powered by a diesel or gas Allis/Buda, although it has since been repowered with a Detroit 353 by a previous owner.

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 1:04am
Close to 50 years ago I saw a TL 12, the model prior to the style in this Craigslist ad and it had Detroit power and as far as I know that was a factory install.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm
Ok folks, just went through my copy of AC construction machinery and industrial equipment by Norm Swinford and NO TL loaders were produced by Allis Chalmers with a 2 joke detroit

Edited by DonDittmar - 31 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 1:38pm
I'll bet that's an excellent performing machine with that Detroit in it. Those small Detroits were one tough engine! Worked on few of those in my younger days when they were in the house of a Highway Digger Derrick. You could dig ta' China with one of those!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic