This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire swap
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:18am
I am swapping tires on my tractors. If I do it straight, the tread is running the wrong way. I want to just change the center so it will be right. I know they are set up to go different ways when moving the wheel in our out - one done in forward gear, the other in reverse. If I do this, they will change in or out in same gear - will that be a problem? I don't think so but have to ask. That clear?
Larry Miller
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:06am
Not clear exactly what you mean.
Are you taking the wheels and tires off one tractor and putting them on another?
You may be overthinking this.
The rails are like threads of a nut.....no matter which way you
put it on the bolt it goes on and off the same way.
Even if what you say were true, each wheel is adjusted independently
so it would not matter.
Maybe I am "under thinking" this?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:07am
About as clear as mud. What model of tractor would help.  I gather that we are talking about "power shift"/"spin out" types of wheels ??   Depending on the rim width, some of the rails are not centered on the rim, so one way is correct and the other way isn't.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Depending on the rim width, some of the rails are not centered on the rim, so one way is correct and the other way isn't.

Aha......never knew this.....I call it a "banner day" when
an old guy like me learns something new!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:16am
As long as you install the rim with the valve stem out, that is correct. This offset feature is for sure on any 18.4 tire width and I think 16.9 widths too. The rail only has so many adjustment holes, like a think 12 inches of spin out or in, so when the rim is wider than 12 inches, the rail starts to get offset.
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:35am
The swap is between WD & D 17 - 28 inch rims - 12inches wide? I am trying to avoid remount tire from rim and turn around so tread will be right. I just want to change the inner section w the spin outs. The swap is from a right side tire and instal on the left side of the tractor.  Sorry this hard to describe.
Miller

I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
You'll wind up with the valve stem to the inside after you turn around the center dish. I think the rails are centered on 12 inch wheels.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 2:09pm
That makes two of us now Brian.  Thanks DrAllis.

As far as Larry is concerned, I'm thinking that he is asking if he puts the tire on, one forward and the other backwards, that he'll be able to put the wheels in or out in the same gear?  at the same time?

I kind of get what you are asking and if that is what it is, then the answer is no.  One side has to go in/out in one gear (forward) and the other side in/out in another gear (reverse).  Did I get that right Larry?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:56pm
As for standard AC spin-outs, installed correctly, one shifts outward in fwd, the other shifts outward, in rev.IIRRWink

Edited by DiyDave - 10 Apr 2020 at 6:02pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:07pm
The wheel centers are the same on both sides.   MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic