This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire size compatibility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire size compatibility?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 2:47pm
I have a 1978 Dodge 4X4 W250 plow truck. No other real purpose as it a "rusty but trusty" truck. Tires on it are P265/75R16 and are beyond shot and need to be replaced. Surprised they made it through this winter.

My daughter is turning 16 next month and the car we got her has P205/60R16 tires with about 3/4 tread but are, as close as I can figure by the codes, about 12 years old so I plan on putting a new set on for safety reasons. 

So, as long as the tire rim size (16") is the same can I put these tires on the truck? Not worried about load range, etc... as I have my newer pickup to haul and tow.

Edited by iowallis - 13 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:21pm
As long as the range is close to the pickup tires and you don't haul much, they should work ok.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 6:24pm
I don't see how they would be hurt.  If your truck rims are a little thinner, it will squeeze the tires up, in the middle a little, but since you are putting all 4 on, you won't mess with any gear ratio probs...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 6:43pm
Tire stores may not want to mount them for you.  I had a tire that was quite old and they wouldn't work on it.  I did talk them into breaking the bead for me.  Just saying!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 7:00pm
205/60R16
Diameter : 25.7"
Width : 8.1"
Wheel : 16" x 5.5-7.5"
Sidewall : 4.8"
Circum. : 80.7"
Revs/Mile : 786

265/75R16
Diameter : 31.6"
Width : 10.4"
Wheel : 16" x 7-9"
(LT Tires 7-8")
Sidewall : 7.8"
Circum. : 99.4"
Revs/Mile : 638

205/60R16              265/75R16         

Width : 8.1"              Width : 10.4"

Circum. : 80.7"     Circum. : 99.4"

HTH

B:-)              
                                           Dnoy
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:00pm
Does she have a car? Are you sure you don't have the tire sizes turned around? In the 22+ years I was in the tire business, I never saw p265/75x16's on a car. I don't know of any car that would have clearance for them. P or Lt 265/75x16's should work on your Pickup. We put hundreds of them on Dodge pickups.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Does she have a car? Are you sure you don't have the tire sizes turned around? In the 22+ years I was in the tire business, I never saw p265/75x16's on a car. I don't know of any car that would have clearance for them. P or Lt 265/75x16's should work on your Pickup. We put hundreds of them on Dodge pickups.

Yeh- I flipped the numbers around. Wrote the sizes down on some scratch paper and didn't notate what size went to what vehicle. Edited my post with the correct info. Thanks for catching that!

Really don't want to spend $500+ on 4 new tires or even $75/tire plus mounting on a tire that the local salvage yard gets for decent tires in this size because it is a popular size. Thinking I could save the disposal fee when I get new tires for the car and use them on the pickup. 

iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:44pm
Reading Dnoym N's post, if I could get them on it would turn the pickup into a lowrider. Looks like my idea will not work :(
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:46pm
I doubt the tires will fit... They will be two inches to narrow for the truck rims... If you did manage to get them mounted, the speed will be way off... as listed about, you will be going 80 MPH when the speedo says 100 MPH... your going to add miles 20% faster with the small tires. ............. at highway speed when the speedo says 60 mph, you will be going about 48 mph. 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Go on Craigs list and sell or trade them for a decent set of truck tires.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 10:00am
I just had new tires put on my 2000 GMC and went from the 265 x16 tires to a narrower 235 x 16 - heaight came close to same but the narrower tire works better for plowing . 
 Was going to have one of takeoff tires mounted for a spare - as the spare I had was original from 2000 . they removed that tire from rim but said any tire over 5 years oud they would not mount onto a rim - seems the tires on the truck i had replaced in 2006 so 14 years back - had 30,000 miles on then and still 1/2 tread but rubber was hard 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:34pm
I think its a state law here, that if you puts lowrider tires, onna pickemup truck, you hasta put one of them tiny steerin wheels onnit, too, so's you can drive wif handcuffs on...Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

I think its a state law here, that if you puts lowrider tires, onna pickemup truck, you hasta put one of them tiny steerin wheels onnit, too, so's you can drive wif handcuffs on...Hug

I wonder how one of them fart can exhausts would hold up behind a 400 c.i. big block that is in the pickup?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 11:35am
I wouldn't drop that small!---no traction whats so ever, no  mpg OR mph! Tire places do get ty on tires, so I do my own! ---Hate to but saves a lot of problems between us!---Otherwise I would have to tell them to foad! and I really hate doing that!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:27am
Born and raised in a tire shop and no spring chicken.
My understanding for the five year limit is due to the fact that they have not yet been able to discover an adhesive that will bond rubber/synthetics to steel that is constantly flexing that will hold for five years.
Good old Bias tires never had that problem; and, while they might get all crackledy looking after several years, a bias tire will remain intact until worn completely through.
I gave up on radial tires several years ago and actually pay quite a bit more for bias tires for my trucks; I have a lot better luck and they last a considerable lot longer.
Several years ago, I was long-hauling livestock cross-country with big goose-neck trailers.
I was running radials on the trailers and would leave out with half-a-dozen spare tires/wheels and often come home with a load of destroyed tires and all of the spares bolted on.
I switched to bias tires and the problems ceased.

The short-lived radial problem is especially hard on farmers who may have over a hundred tires on the ground and most of them sitting unused for eleven months out of the year.
After a couple years of intermittent use, radial tires, still with brand-new tread, will blow-out just sitting there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic