This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire chains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire chains
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:38pm
When I purchased my 9020 the tires chains were already installed, now that I've had a chance to repair a rim and have the tired refilled it was time to put the chains back on.

With the fist chain something was not right so I laid the chains out on the floor to discover the previous owner was clueless when it came to replacing cross chains.

A few of the cross linked chains are connected to outside links on the circular chains which puts an awkward twist into the outside chain making installation problematic.

I have an old tire on a rim that I'll lay the chain over, any problems will show up immediately.

Tomorrow will make the necessary corrections.
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
Ahh, the previous owner. You got to love em.
GlenPettit View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenPettit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
Previous Owner = PO or PO'd. . . which is usually how we feel about some of the things they have done.
Glen
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:35pm
Made a trip to Jacks scrap yard and purchased some tire chains that are like new and have ice picks on the cross chains.

They'll have to be shortened a bit to fit my 8 / 16 tires and the cross chains will also have to be shortened.

For comparison the Simplicity chain alongside the ice picks.

I should have enough cross chains the make a set of chains like those below.

Edited by rustydollar - 14 Sep 2017 at 6:51pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:13pm
The tires chains I bought this afternoon more than likely fit an 11:00 x 22 tire, the video below will give you an idea of how I'll go about making a large set of chains fit 8/16 tires.

I'll use the old cross chains to get the measurement needed before cutting the new chains to shreds.

The chain pliers come in long and short handle versions, you'll find a score of previously owned on ebay.

[TUBE]4PLtFY111ow[/TUBE]

Edited by rustydollar - 14 Sep 2017 at 9:17pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 3:08pm
One chain almost completed.

Used the plasma to cut the links to shorten the cross chains then borrowed the chain pliers from the farm.

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 6:32am
Man there's a LOT involved in that 'winter project'.......

OK.. I have to ask... what's the steel plate under the tool on the PU gate for ???

jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:26am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Man there's a LOT involved in that 'winter project'.......

OK.. I have to ask... what's the steel plate under the tool on the PU gate for ???

jay

The plate is drilled to fit a V2203 Kubota to fit onto a Satoh S650G tractor, I already had the tractor when I found on another forum the Kubota engine transplant, which inspired me to do the same.

The guy that did the swap did not mention nor did I know there are two versions of the V2203 engine block.

The swap requires that you use the Indirect injected V2203 and I have the older direct injected engine, the camshaft casting on the engine block does not allow one to install the starter. The casting blocks one starter bolt then in addition there's no room for the starter against the engine block..

I made another adapter plate this time canting the engine 10 degrees to the right, still not enough room to locate the starter.

My Mitsubishi L3E looks to be a better candidate and it has the same hp as the original Mazda gasoline engine.

The flywheel on the Mitsubishi engine is an inch larger in diameter and will not fit inside the Satoh bell housing, when my ambition for this project returns I'll get a thick piece of steel plate then machine a new flywheel and use the ring gear from the Mazda engine.

Edited by rustydollar - 17 Sep 2017 at 8:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic