This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tire and rim interchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire and rim interchange
    Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 10:27am
I have a 1972 180 that had a rotted out 28 inch rear spin out rim. I couldn't locate a used rim but found 2 26 inch non spin out rims off a WD 45 with tires at a tractor salvage yard nearby. The guy told me they would be a direct fit to just swap them. I don't have enough experience or knowledge about this to know if he is correct or not. Can anyone tell me if these will be a direct interchange? I'm disabled and will have to pay a shop to come change them and add fluid so I want to be sure they will work before I call them to come out. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 10:58am
You would not want to put a 26" tire on a 180. That is a very small tire for that tractor.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 12:57pm
Darrell... i dont know your situation or what your doing with the tractor. As DAve said, a 26 inch tire is a little small. Your tractor came with 28 or 30 inch rims..  I dont know how "rotted" you rim is.. They can be repaired.. This morning i took a 15 inch rim off a mower that had a 3 inch diameter hole rotted around the valve stem.. I cut out a 3 x 5 area and welded in 3 , 1 x 5 plates to fill the hole... I will use a new tube with the original tire.. You may consider that fix, if the entire rim is not rotted. ... Any local welder should be able to help, after the tire is removed.

New rims are somewhat expensive in that size of spin out.. You could possible  get a loop rim that is not spin out and have it mounted to your hub ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
kelda View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 12:57pm
I agree and would really rather not but right now kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. We need the tractor to feed round bales and need it as quickly as possible. We only use it for round bales and ocasionally use the loader for other things. Sometimes use the grader box for leveling. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:02pm
your original question was "will it fit"... not what will it look like or will it set level.... I cant tell you about the "FIT".... maybe someone will respond with the bolt pattern.
kelda View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:05pm
I think it's possibly repairable but would need a large section cut out and patched. It also has a couple other areas that are pretty far gone. The tires are filled with calcium chloride I believe and I'm sure that is what cause all the rot. I'm hoping to get by with the smaller rims for a while and eventually replace the bad rim and reinstall the 28's,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:21pm
I dont think 26 inch rims came on a WD45 either........ but here is a picture of the bolt pattern.. I can not say for sure, but sure LOOKS the same as the 180.

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:40pm
You'd have to get the tire, rim and center complete to switch, like what is in picture. It will be a lot smaller/shorter/narrower than the 18.4x28 tire. May drive funny. Could be used while getting your rim repaired.
 IF it was me, I'd want the other tire back on the tractor ASAP. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 1:47pm
As already said, it's not a bad job to repair a rust spot thru a rim. Big thing is to find 1 similar size to get material for a patch from. 
 IF it's real bad and needs replaced. Most tire dealers can order a rim in for you. 
If not try this address. They're online also. 
Wold Rim & Wheel, 103 Ind'l Park Drive, St. Ansgar, IA. 50472. 1-800-445-9653.  
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 4:13pm
I think what he is looking at is 26 inch combine rims/ tires that are on a WD45.... What he wants to know is if the bolt patter is the same.. He will remove the tire / rim / hub off the 180 and install the combine rims straight to the axle..

I "think" the WD45 bolt pattern is 8 bolts on an 8 inch circle, with a 6 inch pilot hole ?    I believe that is what the Combines used.......Darrell... you might be able to check the bolt pattern on the 180 and see if it is 8 inch circle..
Bill Deppe/AC Salvag View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Deppe/AC Salvag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 4:51pm
Am certain the 8 bolt pattern is the same on WD's, D14-D17, 170-180's. Need to consider if the inner wheel will clear where the drop axle mounts on
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 5:57pm
I had a johndeere combine wheel on my WD 45 when I bought it. It fit fine but the wheel track was to wide to fit through my barn door. It worked for a couple months that it took to get new rims and tires. The place I bought it from couldn't find the originals till spring melt exposed them. The combine tires had very low traction compaired to tractor tires.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by kelda kelda wrote:

The tires are filled with calcium chloride I believe and I'm sure that is what cause all the rot.

Yes; You're on the right track here. When there's calcium chloride solution in tires, it's not IF the rims will rust out but WHEN.

The 180 has a standard 8 bolt AG pattern. Many Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, Case and basically any color farm or industrial tractor will have wheels that will interchange. Sometimes the dish/offset will not clear the final drives though.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 6:39pm
A later model 180 used 9/16" bolts with lock nuts on the inside. Older tractors had 1/2" NF bolts that threaded into the rear axle flange. Hole size is probably different between wheel centers because of this.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 8:42pm
26” rims came on our D15 new. They are more difficult to find and are expensive. We just did a rim repair this year due to calcium damage. Not t a difficult job if you know someone that’s done them before. I helped a friend of mine repair ours. In 2 hours he was done. A fairly large area needed to be repaired. I would stay away from a 26” rim simply for that reason plus it’s smaller than what your tractor came with.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 9:07pm
I think the later tractors with nuts on the inside were 5/8 and earlier ones were 9/16
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:46am
Yes, I think you're correct. Front wheels are 1/2" NF. Anyway the holes in the rims are different with inside nuts versus no nuts.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 6:39am
I have 2 18.4-30 wheels from a Ford that would bolt on. Have tires but one is junk.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 7:06am
I don't know how to measure it but you really need to know if that wheel center will clear the drop housing. I think someone tried to put 24" on a tractor that came with 26" wheels and it wouldn't clear
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 7:08pm
We put 18.4 x 26 on a D 17 ,about like 16.9 x 28 height. From Oliver combine. Also put 23 x 26 on a WD45 with cement mixer, makes the loads bigger by raising the rear end. These big tires and wheels are from junk massey 510 combines

Edited by DON G - 17 Dec 2022 at 7:10pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 8:27pm
He didn't say what size 26 In wheels. 23.1x26 will be bigger than what he has, and yes, bolt pattern is the same.                    MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic