This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This can't be right!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This can't be right!
    Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:05am
I installed a new muffler https://www.ebay.com/itm/Muffler-Allis-Chalmers-D15-70237811/123139319091?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 on my gas D15 because my old one rusted out. It seem to work fine but while I was bush hogging the muffler got red hot!

20181018_101516_resized.jpg

It burned the paint right off and if you look at that gray circle in the picture, that's where it got so hot.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:20am
Restriction inside the muffler?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:25am
Looks pretty normal to me.  Red hot at night??... absolutely if the engine is worked hard enough.  Late ignition timing makes exhaust hotter than normal.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:30am
The new muffler I bought for my 185 was so restrictive it'd choke the motor back,so i drove a steel rod thru and broke out the baffle piece.Its a little bit louder but sure runs a lot better.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:33am
looks like a normal muffler coloring to me, bush hogging will make the engine run hotter, and all new mufflers lose their paint after start up. discoloration is also normal on them. you can re-paint it with high temp spray paint after each use if you want it to look nice!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 12:10pm
When I was a kid, riding on the fender of Dad's WD45, he would get off and light a cigarette off the exhaust manifold, after running it hard for a few minutes.
TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 1:14pm
Agree with everyone, My dad ran a WD on an irrigation pump and at night under full load the manifold and exhaust pipe were cherry red. Our local mechanic who overhaul the tractor didn't believe it until he came out one night to see for himself.
Valkman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:07pm
Well I can tell you my old muffler didn't get that hot, but was a straight through design. Thanks for all your input
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
Dad opened the carb some when puling combine with pto.Late in even it was almost a flame coming out of exhaust.Exhaust on W C was a plain 8 in pipe flat on end.That was factory.Later dad had to wear hearing aids.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:36pm
I was a teenager before I realized that you could put a muffler on a tractor.

Some of the things the old timers did, strike me as funny. My grandfather's WF (that is now mine) was always started with a crank. When I go it a few years ago, the remnants of the original battery was still in what was left of the battery box.

I never new them to put antifreeze in a tractor. I can remember, as a kid, opening the two petcocks to drain pure water out of the radiator and block.

Times have sure changed!

(Sorry for the off topic rant!)
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 11:23pm
haft to knock that plug out of the center of the muffler. it will run cooler an breath better let's the ex; out' not hold it back' take a long punch an knock it out' looks like a freeze plug.
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:25am
In 1968 when we ran a mix mill with a series I D17 gas the manifold and muffler were cheery red all the time the engine was chopping.
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Dad opened the carb some when puling combine with pto.Late in even it was almost a flame coming out of exhaust.Exhaust on W C was a plain 8 in pipe flat on end.That was factory.Later dad had to wear hearing aids.

I've always heard that flame out of the exhaust comes from running too rich of a mixture and exhaust getting red was from running too lean of a mixture.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:37am
Here's something for the Chemists to ponder.  When plowing or disking our S4 D-17 gas would turn the inside of the muffler outlet pipe a faint GREEN color. My Uncles One-Seventy would turn his a faint YELLOW color.  We lived 1/2 mile apart. Same air to breathe. Same exact Standard Oil company fuel from the same tank wagon guy, my great Uncle. The only difference would have been the 7.25 to 1 compression versus the 8.0 to 1 compression.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:42am
Running a bit rich gets more power out of a piston engine. I used to run my MF-135 a bit rich for faster plowing. Rich enough to show a bit of black smoke in the exhaust. Didn't cause the manifold or muffler to glow.

Its been standard practice in piston aircraft engines to run rich for take off to produce the maximum power then when at cruising altitude to lean the mixture until the exhaust temperature rises about 500 degrees Fahrenheit. The fuel flow gauge often shows fuel consumption down by a factor of at least 5. ON aircraft I have hired for charters there was an exhaust gas temperature gauge and some had a fuel flow gauge and all had a mixture adjustment on the dash panel.

My Onan 5 KW generator with a Continental Y-91 engine (way oversize for the load to allow burning poor quality coal gas) running on gasoline drank a couple gallons of gasoline an hour even when lightly loaded. The gasoline main jet in the combination fuel carburetor wasn't adjustable. I made an adjustable needle for the jet and raised the exhaust temperature about 300 degrees F and cut the gasoline consumption down to half a gallon an hour even when loaded pretty heavily.

Ignition timing late can contribute to hot exhaust too. Glowing exhaust parts might be a hint to dig in to the distributor and to make the centrifugal advance go back to work. The mechanism has been known to fail from rust or broken springs or advance weights. Typically that mechanism needs a few drops of oil down the hollow distributor shaft with the rotor removed a couple times a year.

Gerald J.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:02pm
I have baled a lot of hay on a dry night with a AC round baler and no lights. The only light was from the 4" flame comming out of the top of the muffler. As long as that old baler went bang/click every now and then I knew it was rolling up hay. WD 45 tractor.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 19 Oct 2018 at 7:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic