This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Them Friggin Chiggers,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Them Friggin Chiggers,,,,,,
    Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 5:16am

I'm looking for a sure fire cure for these pesky and very irritating little mites. I finally had to go to a Walk-in-Clinic hoping to get some "Professional" help,,,,,,but the frigging Dr (Quack) told me "They are everywhere, and not much you can do about them" WHAT!!!!??
 REALLY??? He did offer that I try some hydrocotisone 1% for the itching.
 I also Checked out some "Home Remedies" off the web with little success.
Anyone here got some helpful suggestions,,,,?? TIA.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 6:00am
Joe I used to rub absorbine Jr on them chigger bites.
I t burns but then gives some releaf.
I don’t know of anything to repel them.
As the rain eases and humidity drops a little, they’ll ease up.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 7:21am
Wally World's Equate brand antiitch spray will help relieve the itching. Powdered sulfur on your clothes around your belt line and top of your socks or pants cuff will help repel them. Also tie your pants cuffs around your legs.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 2:30pm
All I know about them I learned from my dad back in early 50's after he went to Arkansas to visit a friend .  Coming back with more red welts on his legs and barley able to sit or stand !
  NEVER go to Arkansas in the summer - only go when it's cold out ! 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 2:37pm
All you need to know from another point of view , and covering them with nail polish or Vaseline doesn't work . Lye soap might help but mainly on the clothes you were wearing at the time they got to you . 
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/prevent-treat-chigger-bites
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 3:42pm
Never seen one around our house.... butt..

-----
Chiggers hate apple cider vinegar, so you could mix some with water and spray it along the perimeter of your home—just be sure not to let the mixture touch any plants, as it can cause them to shrivel up. They also hate essential oils like lavender, citronella, peppermint, thyme and tea tree.Mar 15, 2024
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 6:40pm

Well, Right on Steve,,,that right there was one of the "Home Grown?  recipes I got from the Internet last night. Equal parts of ACV and Witch Hazel, plus a few drops of some of the essential oils. I opted for the Lavender just cause it sounded good,,,,,,Big smile The next batch,,I'ma gonna use the Tea Tree oil as it has been mentioned in several other internet  mixtures with good results
 I like this recipe as you can spray it right on on your skin without issues,,,plus your bedding.
 I have asked each person I meet in town as to what they use to keep em off or treat after the bite,,,,and what is funny,,,most of the people tell me they do nor ever get a chigger bite,,,THAT RIGHT THERE is Amazing to me as I'm staying off any lawns and I'm NEVER in the woods yet I'm getting new ones all the time,,,,WTH,,,,WTH,,,???OuchAngry
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 6:52pm

I'm also taking a full scale BATH with the hottest frigging water I can stand and staying submerged up to my neck for about 15-20 minutes then scrubbing with plenty of a Big Azzed Bar of Duluth Trading hand soap,,,,then spray this  mixture all over.
 Only'ist thing I can figure is they must be in the mattress but every article says they DO NOT live indoors,,,,for longer than two days,,,,,,,???
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I'm also taking a full scale BATH with the hottest frigging water I can stand and staying submerged up to my neck for about 15-20 minutes then scrubbing with plenty of a Big Azzed Bar of Duluth Trading hand soap,,,,then spray this  mixture all over.
 Only'ist thing I can figure is they must be in the mattress but every article says they DO NOT live indoors,,,,for longer than two days,,,,,,,???

Add Clorox to the water, it also works for Poison Ivy
You must have Bedbugs
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

[QUOTE=desertjoe]

Add Clorox to the water, it also works for Poison Ivy
  You must have Bedbugs
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2024 at 10:33pm

Well, PAULB,,thanks for the heads up on the chlorox/water mix,,,haven't read that one before,
 While Chiggers are microscopic in size,,the bed bugs are easily seen with the naked eye and I am positive I DO NOT HAVE BEDBUGS,,,,Thank You Very Much,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 4:56am
Don’t know why but they do love new meat.
Maybe people build immunity or something.
I’ve got a few recently, but we’re working in the woods building a deck. We’ve been on our hands and knees working for several days.
The grass at the racetrack is chigger grand central.
I always soak in a very hot bath with bleach or listerine.
Haven’t had a bad case in years.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 6:46am
Chiggers in the nether regions is an experience that everyone should have. Really makes you enjoy the times you don't have chiggers in the nether regions. Wife had a few questions when those came along
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 1:09pm
Wink You been out rolling in the hay Joe? LOL Read the rest before you get after me.

Now to back up a bit. Thankfully we don't have chiggers out here  YET.  Something that has showed up in the last 30 years is OAT MITES. They are so small I have never seen, but they bit just like the chiggers. Can itch like crazy. Some people think mosquito repellent works other say no help.

I use to raise oat hay as most horse really like it.  Sold hay to hay broker, he sold to a feed store in the greater Los Angles area. I got a big old official legal letter from a lawyer representing the feed store. A woman laid on the hay cuddling her horse, Wink was the story she told anyway. She got mite bits all over and was MAD suing everybody and anybody. My farm liability insurance coverage was the same company as the feed store had. Thankfully the last I heard about that lawsuit, and I sure never asked about it.

I never sold any more hay to a broker. But a big part of that was I got more in the cattle business and had less hay to sell. But I sure did tell anybody looking at buying hay it could have bugs in it.

I am sure sorry for your being taster to chiggers than Thad is and probably about all the other around there. My wife draws mosquitos and gets all most all the bits. So I know bugs like some people more than others. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Chiggers in the nether regions is an experience that everyone should have. Really makes you enjoy the times you don't have chiggers in the nether regions. Wife had a few questions when those came along

Did I hear a request?Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2024 at 9:19pm
Horse liniment will kill them. Need about 5% menthol. It stings but does the trick. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 2:48am

Well, Thad,,, As I sit here typing this at 2 Am I am dousing them mothers with Absorbine Jr,,,stings like haides but it deadens the itch so I can sleep. I KNEW I was gonna contact some new ones out at the race track,,So,,I had mixed up a batch of an internet potion 0f Apple Cider Vinegar, Witch Hazel and a little Lavender,,,, This worked fairly good as I only picked up 5 new ones,,,,LOLbut was sure worth it to get a birds eye view of Go Cart Racing,,,,It is Amazing how fast them small B&S type engines will shoot around the track,,,,sure giving me some ideas tho,,,,Clap
 As usual ole DIY is right on cue with his responses,,,,,,Clap
 Hey Tracy,,is that a two ingredient mix,,,what specifically do I ask for,,,,?? Thanks !!!

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 2:50am

Hey Thad,,,how much bleach in a tub full of HOT water,,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 11:39am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Thad,,,how much bleach in a tub full of HOT water,,,,??

Just a splash. Doesn’t take much.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 2:32pm
Stay in New Mexico and the problem solved
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 9:07pm
Joe, anything with 5% menthol will do. Absorbine JR might be that strong. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 9:40pm
Soaked my feet in witch hazel when I was youngand ran around in the grass barefoot. Was the best remedy then .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2024 at 10:35pm

Yeah,,Pat,, I'm hearing all sorts of experiences using the stuff made by nature that worked way back then,,,,,,and with great results,,!  Then again,,,I've talked to some that DO NOT require any precaution and never get assulted by them danged No-See-Ums,,,
  Makes you wonder what the Native Americans and the early settlers that walked for days thru thick forests with hundreds of thousands of  chiggers just waiting for some fresh meats,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 5:15am
Joe I wonder how this green stuff I wipe on them race tires would work on chiggers? It does wonders for your singing voice if you get it in a small cut in your hands.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 6:44pm
.....now i'm getting the itchiesConfused.

D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2024 at 10:26pm
My FIL's daddy was a pulp wooder. When my FIL was a boy his daddy would pay him $0.05 for every chigger he picked off his legs. Thomas says he got all of them that he saw and a few he didn't see
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 7:17am

My FIL's daddy was a pulp wooder. When my FIL was a boy his daddy would pay him $0.05 for every chigger he picked off his legs. Thomas says he got all of them that he saw and a few he didn't see

WHOA,,,Tyler,,,,,,,I'm betting his legs looked like mine,,,,cause,,,,,,cause,,,,I gots a bunch of them devils from my ankles to my waist,,,,but,,,but,,,I think I am finally getting a handle on them buggars with this Internet recipe of ACV and Witch Hazel,,,,ClapClap
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 2:26pm
Hey Joe,, Ole okieboy use to tell us,, cut the pockets out your pants so ya could scratch em eaiser...lol....

tadams has the best solution,, stay in good Ole DRY New Mexico, and won't have chiggers problems....
AveryD12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveryD12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2024 at 9:42pm
I’ve always had good results using OFF insect repellent. Spray on boots and boot tops, pants legs and arms. Seems like I remember they like to get another your waistline too.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2024 at 12:39am

They sure like the area underneath the elastic band of your drawers and the leg openings.

Kentucky is the chigger capitol of the world, even worse than Arkansas; so, I know what works and what doesn't.

What works = soak the bottoms of your britches legs with Coal Oil and soak rags with Coal Oil that you tie around your britches legs.

Very salty raw THICK old-timey bacon rubbed vigorously over any bites will ease the itching and smother them out.

If you are itching, you are not just bit; that tiny devil is in there, trying to eat you alive.

That is why Vaseline and thick nail polish work; they do nothing for the itching; but, they seal over that little dude's air hole and he smothers to death.

Eventually, he will rot and be absorbed into your blood stream and the itching will subside.

All that being said, nothing like that ever bothers me; I could eat poison ivy and it wouldn't bother me --- never did; my wife, on the other hand, can see some on TV and break out all over.

I haven't had a chigger bite, living here in the chigger capitol of the world, in over fifty years.

Ticks will crawl all over me, but never take hold.

Mosquitoes will bzzzzzzzzzzz all around my face, get in my eyes and walk around, fly back inside my ears and BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, but they never bite me.

Dog Pecker Gnats will worry the living daylights out of me, but never bite.

I used to think it was because I liked a lot of plain old Vinegar on my food; but, after having half my guts taken out on account of a Gangrenous gall bladder, I am not quite so fond of the Vinegar anymore.

Maybe it is the Gangrene that they don't care for; maybe they can smell it in my system.

If you can handle it, drink half-a-glass of plain white Vinegar with about five table-spoons of Cane Sugar stirred in, twice every day during insect season; and, most things will leave you alone.

You have got to think like a cow; they wear fly tags; it is not the actual presence of the fly tag that repels the flies as flies will light on and walk all over fly tags; what it is that does it is the poison impregnated in the fly tags soaks into the cow's system and makes her hide undesirable to flies, much like you saturating your insides with white Vinegar.

You are wasting your time trying to accomplish the same results using apple cider vinegar; as, just like rotten apples, that stuff draws insects, not repels them ---- don't believe me --- , buy a box of genuine Georgia peaches off that kid at school and get your house infested with gnats; pour some apple cider vinegar in a dish and watch the gnats come running to get it.

Edited by BuckSkin - 16 Jun 2024 at 12:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic