This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Laport IN. Plant ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Laport IN. Plant ??
    Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 5:33pm
Had a contractor show up on the job site today that saw my AC license plate on my truck. He lives in Laport and showed me pictures of the old site that developers are "trying" to put up an apartment complex. They started digging for footers and started pulling up 1000's of 55 gallon drums of PO paint Confused. They went down 50' and stopped digging ,the barrels just keep coming and the disturbance has now caused a local lake to be contaminated Confused. What equipment was made in Laport that need so many barrels of paint, or were the majority of them brought down from the West Allis area ? Thanks
If this is "old news", I apologize for this topic

Edited by FREEDGUY - 13 Jun 2022 at 5:34pm
Sponsored Links

bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:02pm
If I remember correctly, LaPorte was tillage, and the corn heads, maybe the planters as well. Over the years, that would be a lot of paint.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:06pm
It was just amazing to see the PO imbedded into the excavated ground (still bright orange) and ALL of those barrels in varying stages of damage  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:30pm
In February, 1927, the Monarch Tractor Corporation of Springfield, Ill., was bought by Allis-Chalmers and became Springfield Works, first of the Tractor Division Works. This acquisition brought in the 50 and 75 hp tractor models that supplied the base for future crawler and track-type designs and made A-C a world leader in the field of high power tractors. By adding the crawler type tractors, the company was able to offer models for both farm and industrial use.

La Crosse

Continuing the expansion policy, the La Crosse Plow Company was added October 1, 1929.  Founded in 1865 to manufacture a full line of horse-drawn implements, to which was added a line of heavy tractor plows, listers, disc harrows, etc., (when the tractor line first came into use) it eventually grew to be one of the larger independent manufacturers of its kind in the country. This factory made and marketed the first balance-frame horse-lift cultivator; the first power-lift grain drill with a fluted feed (still popular today) ; the first power-lift tractor plow ; and the first three-row wheatland listing plow, which was later copied by other plow makers. In keeping with this advanced engineering, the La Crosse Works, after becoming a part of the Allis-Chalmers organization, developed the first drive-in cultivator and has been first in many new and original developments. This plant now builds a full and complete line of power tillage implements, planters, listers, harrows and mowers.

La Porte

In 1931, the Advance-Rumely Co. of La Porte, Indiana, became a part of the Allis-Chalmers organization. This large manufacturer of tractors and threshing machinery, with a record of continuous operation dating back to the 1836, represented a series of consolidations which included the Advance Thresher Co. of Battle Creek, Mich., the M. Rumely Co. of La Porte, Ind., Gaar Scott & Co. of Richmond, Ind., and several others.

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Jun 2022 at 8:31pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:42pm
Unfortunately, the excavator that uncovered this will more likely be run out of business within a year. You will have no luck hitting up AGCO for the clean up. Is the property within an ‘urban service area’?, with city water & sewer? If wells, and septics, run like hell. There is an area in Midland Tx., known as the ‘Cotton Flats Plume’. Decades ago, there was a ‘plating factory’, where the workers back in the day tossed cleaners, inks, etc., out the back door onto the ground. Fast forward 6 decades(that’s 60 years for you public school pupils((students))). Now from the property, on towards the south out into the County, wells are contaminated. The city of Midland has resisted annexing that area, due to the contamination.
The current property owner, of the point of contamination is now Schlumberger. Everybody is trying hang Schlumberger on this, but all that happened years before they owned the property.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:09am
I remember riding with Dad to pick up cornheads at Laporte.  Seemed like plow frames, etc. we got in LaCrosse, WI.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:44am
LaPorte was the home of the Advance Rumely company.  When Allis-Chalmers bought them out it became the home for the harvesting division of the company.  The All-Crop combine was developed and built there.  Soon it was known as the "Harvester capitol of the world" building more combines than anyone else.  The plant also developed and built the roto baler, mowers, conditioners, mower-conditioners, rakes, choppers, blowers, manure spreaders, forage boxes, corn pickers, cotton pickers, Gleaner grain and corn heads, planters, tractor and combine cabs, the Ontos military vehicle and a few machines Im sure I have forgotten about.

The plant was beside a lake and from what I have been told the company filled in fair amount of ground to add on to the plant.  Im guessing they had a bunch of leftover paint and used it as fill.  Im wondering if it was left over PO #1 when they switched over to PO #2?  

One myth Ive heard several times is there was a brand new Oil Pull tractor that fell into a sink hole and was lost.  I keep hoping they find that!  

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 8:48am
dig around any old house [back yards] from the fortys or so . you will find junk buried several feet deep little towns didnt have landfills or any organized place for household garbage so it got buryed in the back yard , companyes did the same thing
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:40am
I believe there was a lawsuit on this or similar when AC was in bankruptcy courts,
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by JimIA JimIA wrote:

LaPorte was the home of the Advance Rumely company.  When Allis-Chalmers bought them out it became the home for the harvesting division of the company.  The All-Crop combine was developed and built there.  Soon it was known as the "Harvester capitol of the world" building more combines than anyone else.  The plant also developed and built the roto baler, mowers, conditioners, mower-conditioners, rakes, choppers, blowers, manure spreaders, forage boxes, corn pickers, cotton pickers, Gleaner grain and corn heads, planters, tractor and combine cabs, the Ontos military vehicle and a few machines Im sure I have forgotten about.

The plant was beside a lake and from what I have been told the company filled in fair amount of ground to add on to the plant.  Im guessing they had a bunch of leftover paint and used it as fill.  Im wondering if it was left over PO #1 when they switched over to PO #2?   
The guy said the lake is(was) Clear Lake until the carnage Ouch

One myth Ive heard several times is there was a brand new Oil Pull tractor that fell into a sink hole and was lost.  I keep hoping they find that!  

Jim
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

dig around any old house [back yards] from the fortys or so . you will find junk buried several feet deep little towns didnt have landfills or any organized place for household garbage so it got buryed in the back yard , companyes did the same thing
FIFTY FEET DEEP AND STILL GOING ???!!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:41pm
Was a minor cleanup at Western cartridge plant I used to live near, seems was a company landfill on the grounds where took seven months to clear the explosive waste before could call it Clean. Barrels and barrels and mounds of loose, all had to be hauled to a coal power station for incineration, thousands of tons.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Was a minor cleanup at Western cartridge plant I used to live near, seems was a company landfill on the grounds where took seven months to clear the explosive waste before could call it Clean. Barrels and barrels and mounds of loose, all had to be hauled to a coal power station for incineration, thousands of tons.

Ouch Ouch !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic