This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the antique tractor hobby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of the antique tractor hobby?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
I was thinking, what is the future of the antique engine/tractor hobby?  Do you guys see more younger people getting into this? I'll be 28 in a few days and I don't see many people in my age range that are into old engines and tractors.  I guess growing up around this stuff has a lot to do with my interest in the hobby.  Most people my age are going to those stupid import car shows where all the cars sound like weed whackers.

Edited by OrangePowerGA - 13 Apr 2010 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:51am
Well, I'm 18 and love working on tractors, cars, mowers, or whatever. Being off at college really isn't conducive to working on stuff, so for now I just have to hold out 4 more weeks for classes to get out.
My FFA chapter redid a 1936 John Deere A for our fundraiser, and I really learned a lot from that. But most of all, I had a lot of fun working on it. So much so that I bought an AC B for a project a few months back.
However, I will admit that I do own a Honda CRX that's getting an engine swap this summer. I just really enjoy driving it though, and I don't really care how it looks. But hopefully I'll get the B going in a few months and have the car done too.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:54am
Actually, (and this is my personal opinion for what its worth) I think the Tractor hobby since I've been into it now for the past 8-9 years, has gotten better. Little by little, there are more aftermarket and reproduction parts surfacing not only for AC, but other makes of Tractors into the market place (good and bad) And for right now there's enough of us older feller's that are crazy enough to spend there money on them and restore em'. So for now, I think we're okay.  Always like to see folks your age and younger getting into anything Automotive or AG. Helps keep the world goin' round and keep our favorite hobbies going....
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:54am
thairs more then you think for young folks playing with tractors.   Iam 29 and quite afew buddies into this stuff. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:07am
It is entirely up to guys like us to make sure the future of the hobby is bright.
I did not really begin to seriously pursue my addiction until I was in my late 30's and the kids and home responsibilities started to become less demanding. You can drop some serious cash into this, or the car hobby, that is for sure.

There are several things that we can do though:

1) Encourage any young people who show an interest.

2) Promote and participate in shows and clubs. This means "INVITE" new members.

3) Mentor younger enthusiasts and help them to enjoy the hobby. Take them on a "tractor" trip.

4) Try to keep the negative comments to a minimum, even when you see "immature" behavior. Use the forum PM and email to gently guide those "kids" to more appropriate behavior. Remember, we are the example they follow...

5) Consider assisting with small projects undertaken by "newbies". Swap parts, stories and tip/tricks.

6) Remember what your father/grandfather did for you, and how it made you feel. Share that good stuff, it's contagious.

Just my quick rambling, does anybody else have thoughts to add to this?
steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:15am
My dad always said that people covet the things of their youth. I grew up using a CA so that is what I collect and love. But it is a money foolish investment and young people only seem to see green
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:19am
It's nice to see the younger crowd is taking some interest, I just wonder if the government constantly changing the laws regarding hauling are going to kill it off.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:41am
I think we will hold our own, I am 23 and I have a brother and several friends involved in both of our local clubs.  In fact the club in our county has three officiers under 30, President, Vice Pres, and Secretary.  I can understand the comment about coveting the things of your youth, except for me its the things of my dads youth, he was farming in the 70's and early 80's so in the last few years we have started collecting the bigger 60's and 70's Tractors.  Brian you are right about the laws it does make it challenging to haul some of these big tractors if you are not equipped and licensed.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:54am
As Clinton said, it all depends on what the meaning of is is.
It all depends on what you think the future of the hobby should be.

If your thinking that a future in the hobby means you could buy old antique tractors and make money. Probly not! probly will stay the same as it is and has been.

If your thinking that a future in the hobby means more people buying, fixing and showing antique tractors. I would guess that it will grow.

There is something about taking something like an old tractor and learning how to do the many skills it takes to bring it back to look and run like they did back when great grandpa lived that brings new comers to the hobby.  It really does not seem to matter wheather great grandpa farmed or not.

Edited by Dick L - 13 Apr 2010 at 12:57pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:27pm
I think the craze for antique tractors is moving up into 60's-70's era tractors. Look how the market has exploded for D21, 210, 220 sized tractors. They will bring twice as much now as they did 5-6 years ago. I personally favor larger turbo-diesel tractors.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:50pm
Im 19 years old...I have fixed 7 tractors and have more to go. I love antique tractors...you can count me in!
"Better By Design"
Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:19pm
As long as the parts availablity is there I think this hobby of fixing old tractors will be safe.
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:40pm
i'm 15 and i enjoy restoring tractors.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:07pm
For me it was nostalgia, I was 48 when I started thinking I didn't want the barn to fall on grandpa's WC.  When I brought it home I was like a kid with a new toy at Christmas and haven't been the same since.
joegrgraham View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joegrgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:21pm
I'm 29, does that make me a youngster still?. I'm restoring my Allis B, and although I've always liked old tractors, this is my first restoration project. I think glenninPA made a good point with his comments. I know for a fact that without the people I've met, and the guys on this forum, I would have become totally bogged down with my B, and would probably have given up by now, but, thanks to everyone, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. 
I don't know what it's like for you guy's in the US, but here in the UK, cost is the big obstacle for youngsters, even hedgerow tractors are selling for a lot of money, and that's if you can find one that the old boy farmer is willing to sell.
Just as an aside, why is it that a farmer will always plead poverty, but when you wave a wedge of folding stuff under his nose, in return for the remains of a tractor that's been sunk to its axles and buried in the hedge for the last 20 years, he doesn't want to sell it!!?????
If it seems like a good idea, do it. It's easier to apologise than to get permission.
Nick in MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:27pm
Ya im 18 and some of my earliest memorys are of driving tractors and working on them, alot of my friends are into old tractors and the local tractor show in town during the summer becomes our second home/playground I think that the "hobby" is safe and young people will get into tractor restoration just like older people did when they where young.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it weren't for John Deeres our tools would rust
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

I think the craze for antique tractors is moving up into 60's-70's era tractors. Look how the market has exploded for D21, 210, 220 sized tractors. They will bring twice as much now as they did 5-6 years ago. I personally favor larger turbo-diesel tractors.

I agree with the above in terms of the tractors of value.  We've been messing with old tractors since about 1980 and have seen the age/type of tractor change alot over the past 30 years.

When we first started, if it wasn't hand cranked and mag fired - it wasn't considered old enough to matter. As each decade has rolled on, so has the age of the tractors people were interested in.  It really has to do with who has the money, what age group they are, and what tractors they liked at an impressionable age.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
JayD-17(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayD-17(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:26pm
           Tractor collecting is a clean, fun, wholesome and rewarding hobby; but is also takes a lot of time and money - 2 things we "youngsters" are often in short supply of. I too know a lot people in their 30's or younger who have an interest in the hobby but just lack the time or money or both. I'm 33 and a full time farmer, I'm lucky to find time to attend a tractor show, let alone bring one of my tractors with me to one. It takes a great effort to plan and organize a show or put together a club, and my hat goes off to all, young and old, who help make it happen.
              One thing I think you'll see in the future is collections growing smaller or at least, more focused. Right now, if the average collector really wanted, he could collect one example of every D series model A-C ever made - this is still an achievable long term goal, but perhaps not for long if prices keep rising. Some of the early collectors, who got started in the hobby back in the 50's are 60's. maybe even the 70's, were sometimes able to trade a used set of snow tires and a 6 pack of beer for a antique tractor - those days have been gone for some time now, but thats how some of these collectors were able amass these large hoards or caches of old iron; certain Auctioneers have built their carrers out of breaking these up and selling them off. 20+ years from now, I think it would be very difficult for the average individual to collect and restore one example of every 55 series JD ever made or one of every Agco DT series made.

But who knows, you could see things go the other way, and values might drastically fall on certain tractors. For example, plenty of younger collector's like myself appreciate and admire a unstyled WF on full steel , we are impressed by the power of a model A, but we can't afford to have them all. When it come's time to put my hard earned money down, I'm more inclined and likely to buy something from the 50's or 60's because this is the era of tractor my grandfathers farmed with, These are the ones  my generation can relate to. So, as the collecting torch gets passed from one generation to the next; Value and popularity can change.
               So, As far as encouraging the younger generation to get into the hobby, you probably don't have to try to encourage them as much as you think - the interest is there, they just might not be intersted in the same era as the older guys or they lack the resources to express their interest. But, yes, as someone mentioned, take the time to educate the young collectors, pass on what you know about that hit-n-miss engine collecting dust in your garage; if some kid walks up to you and asks how the heck do you start and run that Rumely Oil Pull - teach him. And if you are a old collector and you have a tractor for sale and a young collector comes along who has a genuine respect and appreciation for it, for god sake, cut him just a little slack on the price!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:29pm
I was 25 or so when I got my first tractor, but didn't start collecting until much later. If I'd known then what I know now,yada yada. I don't see a lot of young guys locally but if a guy gets the bug it might mid 30's to forty's. I think the hobby will continue and will keep bringing in new people and newer tractors.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:23pm
Amen to both Glenn and Jim! I too beleave if a youngster wants to start in the hobby is it really worth it to make a big profit on that part he or she needs? Man you can kill a kids dream it a half a second with a pee poor attitude or over priced piece. They get the attitude I'll never be able to afford the part I need and give up and walk away. You can make it up some where down the road. I'm sure most of us would rather go to bed at night with a good feeling of helping a kid out over the feeling of, man I made x-amount of dollars today off the stupid kid! Ever action has a reaction, remember that!!!!!
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:37pm
I am 29 and I am just getting started. I have friends who are 19-29 that also have are into antique tractors. What I think will keep the hobby going is the seasoned collectors passing on their enthusiasm, knowledge, and love of old iron to the younger generation. It's a sad fact, but some day their collections will be passed on to the younger generations. I would hate to see these tractors go to someone who only sees them as scrap money. Just my $0.02.

Brian
RickUP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:44pm
Large numbers of people can stop any foolish law. (hauling, fuel burning, emisions.) there's  more i'm sure. Always help out the young and interested folks. People need to get together to save what we have left here in america. Even collecting tractors.(or old muscle cars). The tuners that sound like weed wackers. Best one I heard yet.LOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:01pm
Old tractors collect the nicest people. As long as this remains true this will remain a good hobby. I'm 43 and pretty sure I'm 30 years younger than anyone else in our club.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:05pm
I am 40 years old and still ain't to enthused sitting around looking at them . I like to see them in action . I think antique tractor pulling is holding its own especially watching tractors be bought and relocated in area.   I do think its time to raise the years above 59 though
dirtyredcub View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtyredcub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 8:15pm
i'm 33 and i have really just got into it in the last year. got  both my kids interested also and it is good to use them and to grow your own food. thats what we did as i was growin up and even tho i hated it then(peer pressure i went to school with snobs cause my parents insisted on a private "christian" school) i love it now the simple joy of planting and harvesting. after all God did put Adam and eve in a garden! i love to hear the old stories of way back when and old folks is glad to have an eager ear. and to take something that has sat unused and get it running is a great feeling!
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:08pm
I agree with all of the above, but would like to add that helping a kid is way more enjoyable than a profit. A couple of years ago at our club tractor show a friend  who was showing his farmall C that he bought new from my uncle in 1950 asked if I  ever see any early garden tractors for sale. He wanted one for his grandson. I thought about it as I walked around the show, and I went back to him and said I had a nice 725 simplicity  that ran good and would be an easy restore. I put a fair price on it and tld them I had a parts tractor they could pick on. I have not been to a tractor show since that  the young man seeks me out to show me what he and Gramp have done to it or the attchment he has found. I be lieve that having a class at shows for L&G tractors gets them started and interested in the hobby. Cal in Ct
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:27am
I worry what the high scrap prices will do for parts availability as well as the availability of tractors to fix up at all.  people seem to scrap things on impulse without thinking about ti.  I have had people scrap cars that they would not sell to me for twice the money less than a year before!!

Edited by Rawleigh - 14 Apr 2010 at 8:28am
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:56am
I was 18 once.  Just thought I'd throw that in.  Worked on the family farm raising a small herd of dinosaurs. I always loved old tractors, because we could never afford new ones.  During college, Army, family, poverty, I was in remission.  In my very late 30's I fell of the wagon.  Everyone in my area was collecting Green and Red and keeping the prices up.  I found an old AC-B and started collecting.  Now I have another small herd of dinosaurs.  Gone full circle.  All the grandkids love the tractors, but two of them are avid.  We all carry the old iron gene and sometimes it blossoms latter in life.  But if you want future enthusists, sometimes it is good to grow them from seed.
jon p. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon p. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:11am
Well no matter what age you are its fun .I am 39 and have just bought my first D15 to restore myself .Me and my father have restored a 40 and a 420 JD and had a blast listening to them two bangers work !! So i guess my point is it can tickle a person of any age out of the blue.
Andrew Kimbrough View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Kimbrough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:42am
I've always had an interest in allis chalmers and tractors in general, but never got "hooked" on them until I married my wife and then my father in law (Larry Swenson) got me into allis chalmers even more.  I'm 23 and bought my first 2 tractors this last year.  Both 1936 unstyled WC's.  I bought the first one from my grandpa.  It hadn't started since 1976 when he bought it for 10 dollars then drove it around the barn lot and parked it.  He turned it over a few times a year so the engine was loose.  With Larry's help this last summer we worked on the mag and once it was hot it took a few turns then popped right off.  With some carb work it is running good now.  It was missing fenders and had bad rear rims, so I bougth the second tractor with a stuck engine and used the rear rims and fenders and some other parts to make one good tractor.  I am the same as lots of others on here.  I love tractors and working on them, but lack the money to restore this one for now.  It will come eventually though.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic