This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tesla Megapacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tesla Megapacks
    Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 9:25pm
A large solar system is being built nearby that is going to incorporate 10 Tesla Megapacks, for a total storage capacity of 31 Megawatt hours of storage capacity.

The local Utility (National Grid) is purchasing the Megapacks so as not to have to enlarge the power lines going to the nearby substation.

Solar-plus-storage seems like an elegant solution for evening out power fluctuations inherent in Solar Energy.

I hadn’t heard of the Tesla Megapacks; but they seem to be proven technology..

https://www.tesla.com/megapack
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 10:41pm
megapack is just "big battery" ............ with wind or solar you need a BACKUP or STORAGE.... No wind somedays and no solar at night... So the BATTERY can take over then.... 30- 40 MW is a fairly small system... That is not continuous.. it is 30 MW for 1 HOUR or 15 MW for 2 HOURS, etc........ Most Coal Fired Power Plants have 2 units and EACH is over 500 MW... that is CONTINUOUS  24 /7/ 365..... Never needs RECHARGED.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:06am
Is the local power utility purchasing this outright from a manufacturer, or is there taxpayer monies being flushed down the drain on this Tom Foolery?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:03am
Actually they make excellent sense as they are usually only needed for a few hours at a time to help balance out the power demand.  Rather then building another gas turbine
generator that is going to be idling most of the time so that it can spin up quickly when need, the battery can add the extra juice.  They are being installed all over the world to save money and have a more reliable grid.  Not all of them are for solar or wind systems, some are connected to gas, coal or hydro plants.  They are also handy for "end of the line" power systems where the grid isn't capable to handle the demand for short periods.  I think Tesla is gonna make a whole lot more money with the power systems then the car division will in the future.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:36am
Question is still whether it economically viable without govt subsidies...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:33am
Gas turbines are not designed to idle long periods. If someone stated that are horribly misconceived.
Natural gas turbines are remotely started, ramp up to speed in seconds, field the generator in less than 30 seconds and grid tie at full load under a minute. Are ramped on grid as load demand shows up shifting demand prior to load exceeding capacity.

Smaller gas turbines are of the 35-60mw capacity, larger are 75-120mw usually in partnered banks of two to five where are added on one at a time as needed.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Sep 2022 at 5:34am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:24am
didn't one of those megapacks selfignite last year ??
can we assume they're LITHIUM batteries ?? (not listed in that link..)

The idea that BATTERIES can 'run the World' is ,well, absurd.
Someone figures you can use EXCESS energy to charge up the batteries.Hmm ,where's this EXCESS coming from ?? NOT during the day(most work, need ac ) NOT during hte night(recharge of EVs, laundry).

If you're using these batteries ( for an hour...maybe,if lucky) what happens when they get used up ? BLACKOUT ! Common sense says it'd be better use of,yeah TAXPAYER coins, to beef up the existing electrical power plants, add more nukes, etc. Far better return for your money,safer, more reliable too
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:24am
There are close to 100 Wind Turbines near me. A considerable amount of time they are not all turning or on calm days sit idle. For the amount invested and lifespan they are a waste of money. Gas Turbine or Nuclear makes more sense in the long term. Solar and Wind Turbines are Feel Good!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:05am
Been Several reports of these Megapacks having fires.  NOT a good outlook.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 8:06am
I’m betting this is why it’s not such a good plan. They are getting better but I think a LOT of safety issues are being bypassed for nefarious reasons.

https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2022/09/21/tesla_battery_megapack_fire/

Edited by JW in MO - 22 Sep 2022 at 8:07am
Maximum use of available resources!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:06am
If you have excess power 90% of the time, and you just need an hour or two of PEAK as JOHN said, it will work.. Problem is you have to have EXCESS most of the time to RECHARGE the dead batteries...... Gas turbines can also be used for PEAK as Dave said.. Startup quick and dont need RECHARGE.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Gas turbines are not designed to idle long periods. If someone stated that are horribly misconceived.
Natural gas turbines are remotely started, ramp up to speed in seconds, field the generator in less than 30 seconds and grid tie at full load under a minute. Are ramped on grid as load demand shows up shifting demand prior to load exceeding capacity.

Smaller gas turbines are of the 35-60mw capacity, larger are 75-120mw usually in partnered banks of two to five where are added on one at a time as needed.

A basic issue with turbines is they are only efficient at or near full speed, no matter what the fuel is.

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
 How long does these batteries last before they need replaced?
 I know that if you went solar and put in a 6 volt battery packs the they had to be replaced every 8 to 10 years. Im agine what that cost.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I’m betting this is why it’s not such a good plan. They are getting better but I think a LOT of safety issues are being bypassed for nefarious reasons.

https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2022/09/21/tesla_battery_megapack_fire/

Ya, but when they burn, it is a clean white smoke! LOL from what I have read, they are darn near impossible to extinguish, and when burning, dumping all sorts of chemicals and garbage into the air! But we don't hear much about that in the 'news'!

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:06pm
DANG... what a bunch of Debby Downers !!.... Whats a little WHITE SMOKE and TOXIC FUMES among friends...just DUMP them in the LAND FILL every 10 years !!! ... Remember... KILL COAL !!  KILL COAL !!  KILL COAL !!.. thats the AGENDA !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:15pm
burning Tesla took 20,000 galloas of drinking water over 8 hrs to FINALLY put the fire out...AND took 3-4 firetrucks + crews.
 fortunately that was in the city where htey have LOTS of water and firemen...

I'd be really,really 'upset' if the volunteers here had to WASTE resources like that on ONE car.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:50pm
Megapacks battery:

“Dive Brief:

Tesla is switching to lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery cells for its utility-scale Megapack energy storage product, a move that analysts say could signal a broader shift for the energy storage industry.
Costs for LFP batteries have dropped in recent years, although they have historically cost more to produce than other lithium-based chemistries. LFP batteries do not use cobalt, a critical mineral that can be expensive, and tend to have a lower fire risk than more conventional lithium-nickel-manganese-cobalt-oxide (NMC) batteries.”
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:23pm
Lithium in a full metallic state is dangerous, immersed or exposed to water and it self ignites much as Phosphorous.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:17pm
This looks interesting:

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm
cept NO actual installations/customers that I can see on their webpage just graphics.....
no prices, no chart of power vs time, etc. (the 'numbers' )

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Question is still whether it economically viable without govt subsidies...Wink

So are you trying to say that all these wind turbines that you and I are paying 70 cents on the dollar for that have a 20 year life expectancy and a 38 year payback wouldn't get built without our funding.LOL

Seems odd, sounds like what the guy I met with from GE that wanted to build towers on my ground said, who would have thought.Wink

I should add he also told me that they had attorneys that made prairie chickens go away.LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 22 Sep 2022 at 7:39pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:50pm
I'm personally in favor of the Tesla quick charge stations like they have around me.  They have 4 or 5 stalls then off to the side there are nice wood fenced in squares and inside the fence is big CAT engines running generators making the electricity to charge the cars.  It's a win win situation for everyone, the engine manufactures get to build engines, the oil companies sell them fuel, the generator companies build generators, the car companies build cars, and the electric motor companies build motors!!!  Sure the carbon footprint might possibly be 3X more than the present gas motor model, but it's a small price to pay when everyone gets to put their hand in the cookie jar.Wink

Don't believe me, go to google maps street view and look behind applebees in Hays KS(west side) some lady setting in her Tesla and you can see the generator in the fence.LOL

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:00pm
“…Sure the carbon footprint might possibly be 3X more than the present gas motor model,..”

Not necessarily true. Diesel generators have a fairly high efficiency compared to most gasoline automobiles.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:17pm
you didn't factor in
the carbon footprint to BUILD those generators,
the carbon footprint to haul diesel TO those generators
the carbon footprint for the service vehicles to repair/service those generators,
the carbon footprint to harvest,mill,haul,install the wooden fences around those generators,.....
probably a few more footprints...while they may be small, they ALL add up

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:35pm
Not necessarily true. Diesel generators have a fairly high efficiency compared to most gasoline automobiles.

Your kidding , right ??  THATS what you got out of this discussion ??

Run off BATTERIES, then RECHARGE with a DIESEL GENERATOR  for the "environment" ??

Happy Laughing Sticker - Happy Laughing Lol Stickers

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Sep 2022 at 9:36pm
Trawler II View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:52pm
Have to wonder about this, maybe it's a backup generator to service customers in the event of a power outage. Pretty hard to believe the thing runs full time, especially next to a convenience store. Noise would sure be noticeable.
"Most people find it easier to believe a simple lie, than the complex truth"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Trawler II Trawler II wrote:

Have to wonder about this, maybe it's a backup generator to service customers in the event of a power outage. Pretty hard to believe the thing runs full time, especially next to a convenience store. Noise would sure be noticeable.

Actually, it starts up when you plug in.  They want to make a profit selling electricity and believe me the monthly demand charges from the local "Customer owned cooperative" for the peak that would be drawn out if all the charges had a car hooked up would axe their profits.  That's not a joke, for instance I have irrigation wells that are 15HP electric and pull a max of 28 amps and I can't tell you what that means other than my monthly charge just to have a meter at my well and using no electricity will be over $180 per well and that's based on the maximum amount of pull at anytime during the year(start up for a well).  There's people here that know about this far more than me but if say 4 cars hook up and recharge in 30 min I can't possible imagine that amount of demand they will use.  I'm thinking thousands of dollars a month just to have the meter there and then having to be competitive on price of electricity.  I am also told same situation at Wal-Mart in Hays(right on I70) but I don't know I don't go there.  If you look at the picture on google maps you can see the rain cap wide open.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Trawler II View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:30pm
Pretty bizarre unless you're driving a Tesla. I guess exceptions have to be made, it is counterproductive if you're a hardcore greenie. I have nothing against electric vehicles, if people want one they should be able to do so. Have a friend whose wife drives a 
Chevy Volt has owned it for a year and never bought gas. It works for her. A far as an electric vehicle working for everyone they haven't got there yet. More than likely never will. For a lot of people an electric may be fine, the market will determine that.

Edited by Trawler II - 22 Sep 2022 at 10:31pm
"Most people find it easier to believe a simple lie, than the complex truth"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

“…Sure the carbon footprint might possibly be 3X more than the present gas motor model,..”

Actually I don't know but I assume they are running on NG.  So that's environmentally friendly and CAT still builds motors.  See I'm telling you it's win win. Thumbs Up  and trust me if I had NG available my irrigation wells would be on it and I wouldn't think twice about buying the motors.  Nothing says NG like paying close to $50/acre per year just to have electricity at your well so when your ready to spend $40/acre watering your crops for a year you have power.   Sadly the "locally owned cooperative" also has the NG, go figure.  All shoved through in the late 90's been a hurting sinceOuch
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Trawler II Trawler II wrote:

Pretty bizarre unless you're driving a Tesla. I guess exceptions have to be made, it is counterproductive if you're a hardcore greenie. I have nothing against electric vehicles, if people want one they should be able to do so. Have a friend whose wife drives a 
Chevy Volt has owned it for a year and never bought gas. It works for her. A far as an electric vehicle working for everyone they haven't got there yet. More than likely never will. For a lot of people an electric may be fine, the market will determine that.

I agree, sure there's a place but a lot of changes need be made before we're ready here and I guarantee, although the service is excellent here what they charge for electric is not.  Problem is IMO there was basically Great Bend and Garden City Ks that generated rural power, both off of coal.  My area electric co. Midwest out of Hays bought out REA in Great Bend and shutdown the power plant in favor of just buying all of it.  Now they get raked at peak demand and have no way of offsetting the cost so they pass it along in "demand charges"  Funny thing is if I was a county further west under Sunflower out of Garden City those same wells would cost about $15/month for the meter(service) instead of $180.  That electricity is going to get high when/if everyone in the city drives a EV and not only will the driver pay but those that don't as well.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic