This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

telemarketers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: telemarketers
    Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:06am
I always have my phone with me in the shop but the telemarketers have gotten so bad, that i had to install an App called 'should I answer' to at least try to beat back the 20plus calls a day.   I'm sure that i'm missing some door shock customers but had to do something!   Is anyone else receiving the onslaught as bad as i am?
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sponsored Links

Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:10am
Here in Illinois we have a sign up for a no call list  I have my phones on it and it seems to work.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:12am
I've been on the "no call" list for20yrs and worked well until about a year ago!

tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:17am
I just checked and have been registered since april 24, 2005.   I do use an android phone, which i guess handles the 'should i answer' app but it doesn't work on an Iphone!
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:24am
   I don't answer any numbers my phone doesn't know, Goes to voice mail if they want to leave message mostly they don't.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:49am
Just heard a few days ago talking about telemarketeers, he has to pick up the phone no matter what just incase some semi/truck is dead along side the road and has to go and retrieve it... and some dude came on the line and started his ligo and the fellow said to him, you do realize this is a 900 number and are you willing to pay for this call? CLICK.
  The nimrods are now calling with numbers that mimic your local phone numbers... or rather the first 6 digits of your phone.and I don't usual;ly answer them unless I am expecting a call and don't know their number.  otherwise I will just hit the reject button. wait a few seconds and call that number back and the other end will say something like, " this is AT&T, the number you are trying to reach is not in service." SAY WHAT??? it's not in service yet the scammin callers are using it??? I think AT&T probably sells a block of numbers for the scammers to use at some super cheap rate and protects them that way...that needs to stop. ATT needs to stop allowing trash to pilfer through the phone systems. IMHO
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:50am
when ever I tell anyone to call me, I tell them that if I don't answer to leave a message. the reason is...we have so many dead spots in my area, sometimes the phone won't ring right away, but it still takes a voice mail.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 12:38pm
Several years now I don't answer a call until 6 rings. Seems most of the robo calls hang up by 4 rings. I've told all friends and relatives to let it ring. I don't run to get a phone anymore. IF robo calls start going to more rings, will have to adjust.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

I don't answer any numbers my phone doesn't know, Goes to voice mail if they want to leave message mostly they don't.

Me two!
Maximum use of available resources!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:04pm
I have heard the no call list needs to be updated every 7 years or some such. As I am not pushing as hard as I use to, I play the poor buggers if I have time and my Shameless clone is sitting on my shoulderWink.

If they hang up I win, even had one start cussing meLOL, hope they took his bonus for the week.Wink

But yesterday I started in and it was the second cousin on his very poor cell signal. But he only wanted free hunting for himself and 30 good,good buddies. So if I upset him Oh well to bad.
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:22pm
I’m with Gordy also. If it’s important enough they can leave a message.
WD D17D 170 190xt 190xtIII 200 7020
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
I usually let it ring through, but occasionally answer and then ask them “ could you please hold on a second”. Sit the phone down and come back in 2- 3 minutes......use up there time and not mine
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:59pm
yep! get them all the time, and I am on the no call list, and updated little over a year ago. worthless and a waste of time, the crooks ignore them or find ways around them. some offer an option to push whatever number
to be added to their no call list, but then they call back within a day or two using a new number, which is usually a hijacked no. I block their number, but they just hijack a new number and call back. No human, just a recorded number and after their spiel, instructed to touch this or that number to speak to an agent if I want to sign up for this or that, I wont do that because that may be interpreted as an acceptance of something, such as switching my phone or electric service. That was happening around awhile back. Unfortunately, I am in a position that I must take every call. Best I can do is lay the phone down and let them do their thing. One repeated the same message 8 or 9 times and asked me to push a number for more information....after about 10-15 seconds and I didn't respond it went through it again. Wife asked, what good does that do....gives me the satisfaction of holding up their system that little bit of time that it couldn't bother someone else.

I'm surprised, but apparently there are still people who fall for these things, or they wouldn't still be calling.

Edited by LouSWPA - 16 Dec 2018 at 10:04pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
We tried the NO cal list, ( big mistake!) here in Il. and all it did was make the calls go from 10 a day to 50!!! ---So much for lists!!! We then got different numbers and phone company.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:45pm
I am also on the no call list and get call from local peoples numbers that is hijacked. While on vacation to Florida I got a call from a local number from home and left it go to voice mail and it was a woman tell me to remove her from my call list and this is the second time this has happen a robo caller using my number

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:01pm
Most of the time I just don't answer if my phone doesn't recognize the number but if I am using my bluetooth sometimes I will answer just to mess with them and waste their time. Some of them get rather angry especially if I insult their mother or their sister. Whatever you do though DO NOT answer "yes" to any of their questions, if you do they will try to slam you with some other service.

One other problem I have is that yellow pages has my cell number which I have had since '96 listed as the number for a local shoe store. Sometimes if I answer I will be nice and tell them they have the wrong number, other times I will tell them we are closing because we are tired of dealing with fat women and misbehaving rug rats.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:39pm
When I had a landline and a telemarketer would call, I would say that I would get the person and just lay down the phone and wait for the signal that they got tired of waiting and hung up.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
I hardly ever answer unless I know who is calling.  Though I got a call a few weeks ago that I answered and it was some woman telemarketer.  She sounded interesting so I asked her where she was calling from.  She told me Vancouver B.C.  I told her I was born there and had family there.  Turned out she was originally from where I live now, so we had a great conversation for about 45 minutes about people we both knew!

I don't know if she lost her job over that, but it was an interesting call!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:31pm
Friend of mine says his brother in law wrote a program for a outfit to dial numbers in their customer base they said -- turns out after he got piad for the program he found out the outfit was a scam in they sold the program - it uses lists of unumbers that have been cancelled or are out of service to call people - 
 Now that the guy is getting robocalls he is cursing making that program .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:45am
Guess in his case---- What goes around---comes around!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
If you pick up and someone starts talking, in an official voice say "Internal Revenue Service-Fraud Division, how can I direct your call?".
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
I just lay the phone down and let them spend money talking to dead air.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 12:32am
Yesterday I got an Amber Alert on my personal cell phone about 7:15 then 10 minutes later the same alert on the business line.  a bit later I get a call from the Social Security, that is what the woman said, told her I was secure enough and not very social and hung up.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:59am
I get quite a few junk calls too, and 6 or 8 months ago registered my business cell on the no call list. Being in business, I kinda need to answer the phone, but like many others, if the number isn't already in my phone, I will let it go to voicemail. If it is indeed a legit call, they will generally leave me a message, and I will call back. Sadly, I have answered it when it was a suspected scam, and it's just dead air. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish other than making me waste time to answer it. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 11:18am
The robo callers automatically dial several numbers at a time and then talk to whoever answers first, usually the rest of the numbers will be hung up unless another person at the call center can take the call.  Often your number will be called several times on rotation until you answer or maybe the machine decides there is no one at that number, or it goes to voice mail.  The humans that work at the call centers no longer dial numbers, only talk.  I can't imagine being so hard up as to take a job at a call center but there are plenty of people who do.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 2:43pm
I get them from dead verizon numbers.  I have had fun a couple times and waited until an operator comes on.  I love to teach people new words.... LOL  We need an expert to write a program where you can hit a number and it fries their computer used to do the robo calls.  When someone does, I'll take a copy.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic