This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprising Soybeans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprising Soybeans
    Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:09pm
Our farm is about 35 miles northeast of St. Louis and we sadly have not had any measurable rainfall in the last month. Our soybeans were planted on 5-23 in a very dry tilled field. On Sunday 5-28 to my surprise they started to emerge. Not sure how long this dry spell would last I wanted to do a little experiment. I marked off a 6' section of one of on of the rows with two red flags and thought I would water it every other day and compare the watered beans verse the dry ones. To my surprise after a week there was no difference at all. The last 2 times I even added a proper dose of Miracle-Gro and still zero difference in them. I have showed my little test plot to several friends and we are all dumbfounded that the watered beans show zero difference to the very dry ones. Infact one buddy noticed a row with beans taller then the ones I've watered!! Nothing worse than a drought and hopefully we will get rain very soon. Ryan
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:18pm
Beans, even young ones are pretty tough and resourceful. I’ll hope for the same here. I’d never seen a drier year than last year until this year.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 6:52am
Was talking to a customer who works for Brandt fertilizer. He claims a young soybean or corn plant today is drought resistant. Smaller plant doesn't take as much moisture to survive as a larger plant that is trying to develop seed . Lack of moisture causes the root to grow deeper. Also modern hybrids are designed to be more drought resistant. Eventually any crop is going to need moisture at some point but better to be dry now than later in the year.
Ryan I can't explain why the beans you watered weren't doing better. I would think they would be twice as high as the ones that weren't watered. I was told by an old timer that beans like it somewhat dry . Mold ,mildew and disease are much higher when wet.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:27pm
Get any rain today ? I was working in St Louis and we finally got rained out on the job !!! Seemed the showers were coming north west to south and following the Missippi river
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:30pm
I'm working in Soulard and we got a decent shower. Curious to see what the farm might have gotten. Sunday is a pretty good chance but don't want to jinx it!! Ryan
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 2:50pm
Got maybe two tenths last night. Dry as a bone at the job sites I’ve been to in town today
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:15pm
As much as GMO hybrid crops do have an advantage over the varieties of decades ago, as for growing conditions, the other side of the ‘swinging ax’ is those GMO varieties are becoming more of a challenge for human digestion. As soy is one of the worst things for humans to consume as it is, it unfortunately is used as a ‘filler’ by most food stuffs manufacturers these days.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:32pm
Ours took 3 weeks to make decent looking rows . We no-tilled into moisture but didn't get rain after that till yesterday. When you have dry ground it takes a lot of water to make a difference like when you water it soaks it up like a sponge.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 6:59pm
I remember about 30 years ago, had 40 acres we hauled manure on until the end of May. The deep ripped, disked twice, field cultivated it twice, then, just in case there was any moisture left, ran a Lely Roterra over it twice. Planted it to beans, I figured those beans will never sprout until it rains. Never got a rain, but did get a 90% stand. I always gave credit to the IH 900 plant for the stand.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

As much as GMO hybrid crops do have an advantage over the varieties of decades ago, as for growing conditions, the other side of the ‘swinging ax’ is those GMO varieties are becoming more of a challenge for human digestion. As soy is one of the worst things for humans to consume as it is, it unfortunately is used as a ‘filler’ by most food stuffs manufacturers these days.

https://admadvantage.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Benson-Hill-Highlight-Program-2022-2.pdf
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:06pm
Is dry as the Sahara in Hermann.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 6:24pm
I wish it was easier to post pictures on this site because I would love to show pictures of my little 6' test plot. Still after 16 days there is ZERO difference in them. Ryan
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 7:15pm
Yeah, same here. Zero rain in may and june so far.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 8:42pm
Might want to start hoarding pickles. 70 % of the pickles for McDonald’s and Burger King come from nearby. Not a plant in the ground yet because no moisture to grow them.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 2:46pm
Best purchase crop insurance.  Crop insurance agent gave 100% loss, last year.  Extreme drought, here in my part of Kansas.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 10:40pm
You can grow lots more than most would dream without rain, IF YOU CAN KEEP WHAT YOU GET IN THE SOIL. Opposite of what gets preached by the no till believers, tillage works for me to save water. It is not pretty but look at past pictures I have posted of my sweet corn. Other crops that have a tap root are much better suited. One of the most successful from making money here is safflower. I will try to get pictures thru the season. But you are taking a big risk with erosion. So not without trade offs. But I have never seen a safflower crop grown no till not turn to a no harvest crop as well. 
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 8:57pm
I;m wondering if the watered beans are developing more upper roots instead of driving deeper ones.

We have had one of the wettest May and first half of June that I can remember.  We got 5+ inches of rain in May and so far nearly three inches this month.  I know it's not much by midwest standards but for us it's a lot.  Plus there is still lots of snow in the mountains and if we ever want to irrigate, there will be plenty of water in the creeks.  The downside is that it's June 16th and no one, including me, has cut a blade of hay.  Supposed to dry up and warm up next week so maybe I'll get some of the first cutting done before the 4th of July.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 7:58pm
We are finally receiving some much needed rain today!!! 1.5" so far and it's still coming down. Ryan
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 10:52am
I have watched it now for four years. Up here, Kossuth county, Iowa, if we are going to get rain, it has to come out of the SW. We have not had a tornado watch in 4 years from the NW. We had one in December come through did minor damage it came from the SW. We had windmill towers come from our E, Forest City and Buffalo Center. They are to our W at Fenton and Armstrong. If I drive from here to Mountain Lake, Minnesota, I am in the shadow of them the entire way. Our Highway 9, Interstate 90 Corridor has been shut off. Meanwhile, the windmills keep turning, making electricity and sending it out of state.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic