This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

successful & reliable WD puller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: successful & reliable WD puller
    Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 10:03pm
I got an idea.... build a WD with a Gleaner E, 4 1/8 over flat top pistons, port and polished head, barney cam, carb from treadwell carb in new York, pertonics electronic ignition, pertronics flamethrower coil, E3 52 plugs, governor override cable, and pull the damn thing!!! 110 race gas and premium mix. 60 peak hp, 52 at rated, and 485ftlbs torque, that was with a bad rotor in distributor. I built it when I was 15. First engine I built too. Not that hard. Brought home more trophies then I know what to do with. Pull it, have fun, make friends, and get along.

Carl.

If you need proof I have pictures and videos.
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 6:26am
Well, show us some pictures and videos!
Clap
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 6:44am
Works pretty good doesn't it. I got a similar one except for a quench piston and the batch of cams was takeing forever to get back here so I put a stock one in timed correctly.

Maybe my big winter upgrade will have to be to a piece of wire as those zip ties fail at just the wrong time. Mid mount 12v beer cooler would also be handy in place of the original battery box. Changeing the cam requires more work than I'm willing to put into it.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:04am
I was under the impresion that when everyone designed the front weight bracket its to hold their favorite beer cooler as well as weights .I guess now thats just the superiorty of southern pullers to think of it also when making a weight bracket. We southern pullers tend to think of everythng.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:41am
Once again superior design from the north.  The cooler is partialy shaded from the sun by the gas tank.  It's in close proximity to the driver for easy reach.  Foot rest doubles as bottle opener for the high class stuff.  The battery is also closer to the ignition system for less voltage drop.

How would one get beer from the front without getting it themselves, or (assumeing they have friends) asking a friend to grab one.  It could get lost in transit.  On those long hot days when driveing your tractor to the pull it would be a pain to stop, walk up front and grab more for yourself.

Mid mount is a much better idea, easy for both driver and crew to access, shaded, and one needs not leave the seat to get another.  Rear platform holds recycleing bin and after enough those fenders make dandy resting places.

Superior by design from the professiona weegie.  Not a bad idea pank, but like all your other ideas there's much better ideas out there.

Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:02pm
[TUBE]6NADK7vymkU&list=UUqKkG0zoSWkdD2Uosw-U5jg&index=6&feature=plcp[/TUBE]
[TUBE]-0d2EYuLRso&list=UUFHUFAlMspVqFVCuBmfa9Mw&index=45&feature=plcp[/TUBE]

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:07pm
Now rather than bickering like a bunch of school girls, figure out why my 190XT puller makes the chirp....because id love to know!

[TUBE]4rdtL9fp5MA&feature=BFa&list=UUqKkG0zoSWkdD2Uosw-U5jg[/TUBE] 

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 07 Nov 2012 at 5:07pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:22pm
Rod your forgetting about the gals in daisy dukes handing cold beer to us. Plus we like to share your battery box just isnt big enough 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Carl(NWWI) Carl(NWWI) wrote:

Now rather than bickering like a bunch of school girls, figure out why my 190XT puller makes the chirp....because id love to know!

[TUBE]4rdtL9fp5MA&feature=BFa&list=UUqKkG0zoSWkdD2Uosw-U5jg[/TUBE] 

turbo ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:31pm
Oh, Thank you. Wasn't sure, that clears it up. Well duh! But why???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Works pretty good doesn't it. I got a similar one except for a quench piston and the batch of cams was takeing forever to get back here so I put a stock one in timed correctly.

Maybe my big winter upgrade will have to be to a piece of wire as those zip ties fail at just the wrong time. Mid mount 12v beer cooler would also be handy in place of the original battery box. Changeing the cam requires more work than I'm willing to put into it.

Yes it does, works great! Yeah, its to bad it broke, you had a good run going! Be neat to see how we do against each other on a good clay track.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:47pm
Hey Carl I still think you need bigger valves to let that air flow. I think the windmill is blowing into a block wall. At least that is where I would look, I am running a similar setup and the difference is in the head.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:57pm
What is the turbo?? sounds like it's trying to sneeze out the intake. A custom intake wheel and compressor housing map slots??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 5:58pm
Yep, I agree. Charger is pushing more air then what it can take.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

What is the turbo?? sounds like it's trying to sneeze out the intake. A custom intake wheel and compressor housing map slots??

Was a 3lm 466, was real bad with that one, now its a garrett off a 250hp IH 466 truck engine. 57mm x 75mm compressor t4 garret a/r .60 compressor a/r 1.15 turbine
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 6:41pm
A little more intake valve and a lot more exhaust valve.

These heads are a mess and the exhaust is to restricted to drive the charger hard enough.    Your boost will drop which will be a good thing. With head work and that 3lm-466 back on there's another gear to be found.

Ever check the exhaust pressure and intake pressure to see the relationship?

If you get a chance sometime swing out. Christmas came early and I bought a big piece of billet alum carved out with combustion chambers, 2.5" titanium intake valves, Jesel rockers ..... though it's got sparkplug holes and fits a IH block.

Edited by wi50 - 07 Nov 2012 at 6:43pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 6:57pm
Carl , I'm an isx cummins tech and we experience chirping issues when the waste gate actuators were not in sync . So where am I going with this at certain peak Rpms almost like floating the valves the air will come back at an instant and dead head the incoming air causing the compressor wheel to give a momentary stop and go but in   milliseconds time frame. ( chirp). See this on our Taylor dyno at time to time and a truck will hop pretty good on the dyno. May change housing ?http://touch.bismanonline.com/air_compressor_d_45/# Or like the other fellers say get the cylinder head opened up and exhaust ports. Like constipation and asthma theory . Lol. When I drive my beer holders are on my custom orange helmet . Closer and no one will steel them up grade option is Double barrel straws reload is hottie whisker biskit in daisy dukes with boon and crocket rack .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:02pm
Lol not sure why it posted a link??   Lol. Your tractors are nice Carl !! Good trophy collection
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 8:14pm
Thanks Bill! Have alot more trophies then that, pictures is a couple years old. But yeah, similar to compressor stall, stops spinning / forces air back out intake and makes the flutter sounds. Thanks for the info.

Marty, we've talked so we are kinda on same page, had to see if your buddy could get it. but I agree, if we could get that 3lm back on it, it would be nice, seemed to have more power with it. Ill definitely have to come check it out. Might have picked up a 301 head from tech school, ill bring it up, other wise ill pull the one on mine, or go to downing...lol either way, them heads are a mess. Wish I could tell you ratio between boost and back pressure. But gauge for back pressure wont read correctly.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 7:37am
Carl,those were good hooks on the WD and a good point.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:27pm
Carl I am running 45-50 under heavy load on intake and 40-45 on the exhaust side seem to be working ok would like more hp but then the reliability goes away, You were at most of the pulls when I was going though those growing pains. LOL. And some are caught on video.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 5:16pm
Lol. Heard that Dave! She's on fire!!! Haha. With the 3lm I was running 40-45 boost, with smaller garrett its around 30-35. Call Scheid and get a .500 roosa! She's run then!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 5:22pm
Heres a video of it with the 3LM, she sounds real bad with that charger, i was embarrased i even pulled it like that! haha

[TUBE]PTEkg1Vlv1Q[/TUBE]
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Carl(NWWI) Carl(NWWI) wrote:

Lol. Heard that Dave! She's on fire!!! Haha. With the 3lm I was running 40-45 boost, with smaller garrett its around 30-35. Call Scheid and get a .500 roosa! She's run then!
never heard many good things about .500/.510 roosa's. Not very reliable. Best to stick with a .450. I now have a few heads on the shelf.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 1:19am
Carl, you need a 180 exhaust housing to turn your 3lm adequately at your rpm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:35pm
Dont have a problem spinning it, just too much boost for engine to use.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 5:36pm
Ok....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 10:57pm
Get confused?
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 11:03pm
Not at all, just trying to give you some help Carl, but you got it under control.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 11:10am
I can understand a smaller housing if I was having a hard time spinning it, but spinning it is not the issue, the few times I pulled it with that charger I never fell under it. Granted my clutch was slipping, but seemed to have real good power. Im just giving the engine to much air that it can't take, so its coughing it back out the inducer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic