This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stray amperage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlyn nwia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stray amperage
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:13am
D17IV new battery drains energy over night. key is off, lights are off; how do I determine what is going on?
Sponsored Links

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:14am
What I always do to narrow down a draw is take the negative battery cable off and hook a test light between the negative battery terminal and the cable end.  The light should be on.  Then, I remove the fuses one by one until the light goes out.  When the light goes out, you have the circuit with the draw.  At least that narrows it down to a certain circuit...unless the light doesn't go out in which case it tells you the draw is through something that isn't fused. 

Wait, does a D17 even have more than one fuse?  If not, at least you could narrow it down to fused vs. unfused.

or maybe this post is useless.

Edited by HoughMade - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:17am
1951 B
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:29am
could disconnect battery overnight and make sure it don't drain by itself.... next night, disconnect power ta voltage regulator and see if that drains overnight... starter would be second bet.......with the key off and lights off, you have narrowed down most of the SMALL stuff.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:54am
Most likely cause is the cutout relay in the regulator. To find where something is drawing down the battery, disconnect one cable and put a test light between the cable and battery. From there start disconnecting things until the light goes off. When the light goes off you've found what's draining the battery.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Generator or alternator? If you have an alternator, what type?
Marlyn nwia View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlyn nwia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
the D-17 IV has a generator
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
Any corrosion around the ammeter terminal can cause battery to drain away......
the fiber isolator washers get wet,old, and allow the battery to drain to the mounting studs.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:21pm
Just checking on which it has, you didn't say and some get converted to alternators, which can cause battery drain.

With a generator I'd lean towards a regulator issue, as has been mentioned.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
If the disconnected battery doesn't go dead overnight, reconnect the battery but leave the two generator wires disconnected and see what happens.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:46am
First thing I would check is the Battery itself before going crazy looking for a draw. If you have a bad cell in the Battery, the Battery can go dead overnight internally shorted out. A draw test will show whether the Battery is good or not. Just cause' its new don't mean it's good!  If the Battery tests out okay, then move onto the suggestions the guys made to troubleshoot the system. Had a customer that just went through this pullin' his hair out trying to find a short in the system. He called me as a last resort I guess, and he explained his situation. I told him to do a simple draw test on the Battery. "Oh it's not the Battery, that's new" he said.  He reluctantly had the Battery tested at the local Auto Parts store he purchased the Battery from. FAILED. It was the Battery all along causing the issue. The Battery was in the Tractor about 3 weeks before the problems started. Always start at the power source first. Doesnt' matter if its 6V or 12V. This particular incident was a 12V Battery internal failure. Remember, POWER SOURCE FIRST!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic