This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight Stick plus Gleaner power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Folks,
 Couple of updates on the old WD project. I have made a verbal move on those CASE rims and they will come with the tires. I dont have a need for the old 10-28 Firestone tires right now, so they would get set aside or maybe sold.
I am going to try to go get these rims and tires next week some time. Plan would be as mentioned. Get the tires removed, check the rims, develop a rework plan to make them 14 inches wide. And then think about tires??

I also went to local fab shop to get some 1/4 inch stainless plate for the pads for the wheelie bars. As we were talking he wanted to know why I needed stainless? And he proceeded to tell me that you can weld mild steel and stainless. So I left, came home and whittled out some 5 x 5 inch mild steel pads from 1/4 inch plate. and then welded it to the stainless legs with steel Mig wire. Seemed to work ok. Probably some good reason this shouldn't be done but I learned something today!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Nov 2019 at 3:49pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:43pm
One reason I've found over the years is that the cam isn't isn't degreed right for some reason. If this the case it will make a engine lazy. I don't see how that could be the case with the WD, but who knows without checking it? But if it has a snappy gov. don't worry about it. It shouldn't be a problem with your engine. Well cared for old tractor by the way.  Leon
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 4:40pm
Leon, Folks,
300 mile road trip to pick up these old rims for the WD-Z tractor project. They looked good in person. I did not see any rust out on the outside. Looks like they are formed from 1/8 ich or 3/16 thick material and then riveted together.
The tires are the 10-28 size. What tractors might these fit?? They will be for sale soon. Maybe a Mud truck guy might want them? They have a very good edge on some portions of the bars! Just not worn even all around??

Also picked up some random smaller weights. 100 + lbs.
Three @ 20 lb and one at 40 lb.

This stuff was down in the hill country of Ohio. Was like a roller coaster ride on the way down as the GPS took the shortcut! So we start on a couple more projects for the old WD-Z! Will get them demounted on Monday and check out the rims for offset and addition of a band, to stretch them, to near 14 inches instead of current 10 inches wide.
Humm these do have the 4 holes for wheel weights! Wonder if those would match up with Std Allis weights? Will have to check that out too. 
I wasn't going to blast these. rims for clean and paint. They have a patina that may match the tractor pretty good as is. The additional widening strip may go on the inside.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Nov 2019 at 4:48pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 5:56pm
Nothing like a good road trip hunting tractors and parts! I think these are gonna look good and do the trick.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
Main problem with welding stainless with steel filler rod or wire is the weld doesn't have the corrosion resistance of the stainless base metal.  In this case, I think it's a non-issue.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 8:04pm
Mike,
 I was thinking of your last road trip to visit me as I was writing that! This was a good trip and the guy (Joe) was real nice! He is a tractor puller too and has IH and MM tractors. 
The hills and turns made me get mild motion sickness even though I was driving! Yea in West Virginia I might have a problem! :) I had to come home and lay down for a few hours.

Phil,
I just cant figure out why it took me this long to figure out the welding thing?? As I was welding the stainless to the mild steel with steel wire it seamed to work fine. And yes I was not worried about the corrosion factor on this project.

Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 10:06am
Boy Chris, you sure have the bug!  The way you're going, you'll be ready for spring pulling.  BUT, you'll be busy doing syrup, so git er done early!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:09pm
Ted,
If I spend more than 4-5 hours in the house I about go nuts. I do have the evaporator back together after the rebuild so unless I messed something up we should be ready for maple season 2020! 

The WD-Z rim work will begin with a trip to the tire shop tomorrow to get the old Firestone 10-28's removed. 
I have to learn more about adjusting the gleaner RPM and getting a dwell meter with a RPM feature.

Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:26pm
Ahhh,I see...so that’s how that monster looks when all the pieces are put together,nice set up!!
Mom and Dad says hi also Chris....they’ve took off to Mobile Alabama after a D14.And so how wide are you going on the rims...enough for some 18.4’s?
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:36pm
Mike,
I was only going to do my standard moves from a 10 inch to a 14 inch wide rim. Nothing too crazy for this old man! These antique tractor pulls would only allow 14.9's. Now if I set this up for just Farm Stock pulls I could run bigger tires. Now you have me thinking! 

Wow another tractor coming home! Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures of the D14 too! 

I keep talking about a shop to work in in the winter. I seen a unique one when I picked up the rims in Ohio. It was a large steel grain storage bin with the one side cut out and a 20 foot extension added. Very interesting as it did not have any corners to pile things in!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:46pm
Well,I didn’t meant to throw a wrench into the plans there 😂But I gotcha now though,tire size limit didn’t cross my mind.We’ve got old grain bins down here old farmers have converted into small shops and storage bins too.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:05pm
Mike, Folks,
I would be happy with the 14.9's! Not sure If I will get a new pair? We will see! I could always take the old 16.9's off the D17, if I was feeling foxy and put them on this WD-Z for a couple farm stock pulls.

The round grain bin shop idea was neat! Well insulated, it heated very well with a small wood stove.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Folks,
 Weather was very spring like today! Worked in the sugarhouse and then took the old tires to get them unmounted.

These rims look like 9 inch wide. (10 inches outside) Well I guess the spacer will just have to be a little wider?

Rims are really in pretty good shape! No rust through anywhere, just surface rust and scale.

Offset is 1 inch more than where I have the current WD45 rims set on the adjustable rims. So that means all the additional width, that I will add, will be on the inside of the wheel. And the tractor should still fit on the trailer too!

Layout for sectioning the rim:

This is where I should have a plazma cutter! I got it but it wasn't pretty!

Sure look different split! The burr makes the rim look thick, but after clean up the band will need to be 1/8 material. at least 5 inches wide. That would make a 14 inch rim for a 14.9 tire. That seems to work good on the 45. Man that sounds like I am buying another set of Crop Max 14.9-28's.
I did check with the tire shop and they do make 16.9-28's they are 12 ply! Probably could run them with no air!:)

Still not sure if I will blast and paint these rims. I usually have them blasted at this point. But these rims are pretty good. So I just cleaned up the weld zone and will fab them back together then think about clean up. I thought the current patina was pretty close to the current WZ look? They would look pretty good with cream center and silver rim and a big set of 16.9's on the old girl! That would limit it to Farm stock but maybe that would be OK too??

Couldn't stand it anymore and had to go for a ride on the WD45. It seems to be getting better at coming out of 4th gear too.

The rim parts are cleaned up and ready for the spacer. I have cut these rims down in the small dia. which is the right place to add the spacer. Need just under 84 inches of length for the spacer material. I think I am going to have the spacer rolled into a ring. It just gets harder to whack it into a hoop, the wider it gets.

I need to check on the pulling schedule at the PA farm show in early Jan 2020. I need to go and this might be a excuse to take a tractor.

Thanks for checking in on me. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Dec 2019 at 6:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm
Folks,
Pretty quite this time of the year on AC stuff. Just ordered the wheel spacer rings from local steel supply shop. Mild steel strip, 1/8 thick 5 inches wide and 7 feet long. rolled into open ring. About $100 for the two rings. Will be ready this week. If we have good weather I would like to get them assembled. Then can start to think about tire options. I think I will leave the current power shift wheels as is with the 13.6-28 tires for spares.
Had the two great grandsons here today and the youngest Cooper is just orange tractor crazy!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:17pm
If your not gonna color new the WD-Z ,I wouldn’t paint these either,just weld’em up and run’em and good call on keeping the others for spares too.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:53am
MD, Folks,
 A plan starts to develop! 
I was talking with someone, maybe the guy I got the rims from and we were talking about weights for pulling machines. For some reason it had not hit me that I really need 1,000 lbs of weights available for most pulls to allow at least two or three classes to be entered per pull. I thought I said I wasn't going to move that much weight around!:) Humm? Going to have to turn that into some type of summer exercise program.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
Folks just a brief update on the old rims being spaced out a little.
(sorry these pictures came out larger than normal I can reduce them if needed??)
The bands were slip rolled to near round and this saved me a lot of beating on them.
5 inches was added to the back side of the rims.
As usual fixturing was what ever I could find on the bench. !/8 material matched right up nice.

At this point I was just tacking the unit back together. The gap of the band was left open to allow the back wheel bead and the band to be drawn together.

Both wheel assemblies are tacked back together. A good stopping point for a coffee!

For some reason this old WD45 always gets in the middle. 

We are dog watching our sons dog. She is a Stafford Terrier and is struggling. At 16 human years 87 dog years she is doing laps around our kitchen island. Right turns only.
She acts somewhat like a person with dementia. Kid of sad. 

Hope things are good out there in Orange land!

If any one is interested there was a lighted tractor parade last night in Linesville PA. It is the biggest in the country. I did not check to see if there was a YouTube clip up yet? They have 100 plus tractors decorated. Maybe will try it next year?:) Need orange lights!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Dec 2019 at 2:11pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 2:47pm
Chris!

Great looking work as always! Seems like money well spent to get the roll started ahead of time... Both wheels tacked up, coffee and a ride by early afternoon? One reading this for the first time could be easily fooled into believing widening a wheel is for the novice!

Don't ever stop making time for random rides, it's a great motivation piece :)

Can't wait for the next episode!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:57pm
Strokendiesel002, Folks,
Thanks for the encouragement!:)
Like today, I get a few little things done and claim it as a productive day! 

As I fully welded the inside seams on one of these rims, I ran out of Mig wire. I think thats the second 10 lb spool I have used, since starting tractor refurb projects.

These are slowly becoming 14 inch wide rims. Sure is nice to work on something that is not rotted out too!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Dec 2019 at 4:59pm
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:42pm
Chris, as a way to get to your first pulling weight w/o adding external weight, you could use Rim Guard or calcium. The RG is expensive but, weighs more than calcium and will never hurt those nicely done rims.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 8:04pm
Thanks Frank,
 I have not used the rim guard yet. All the tires I have had changed or put on have been dry. My D17 still has some calcium in the rears. maybe 100 lbs in each? It was at 5500 and I took out 500 ish. (250 ish per rear).
I think I will leave these tires dry also. I just don't have good scales close by to get the weight right. I am estimating I may be 25- 30 lbs per wheel lighter than the spin out type?? Hoping to add that weight in back of the axle for a little better balance on some of the poorer tracks. The goal is to have it weigh about 3500 lb with these rims and the reduced weight of the revised snap coupler hitch.
If things work out would like to put a set of the Crop Max 14.9-28's on these rims next spring.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
Folks,
 Ordered NOS D17 governor springs and governor cover gaskets from Alex!  Thanks Alex!

Not sure which tractors will get these? Maybe the WD45 and Nic's WD. Not sure when that will happen either? Darn head cold has me in a head lock. And I want to get to finishing the welding on the rims for the WZ. 
If anyone wants to share/ show info on the adjusting of a governor with the set screw/ lock nut to control/ adjust RPM?  That is the type on the WZ unit. That would be appreciated too. I believe that the set screw type just was like a rpm limiter? Setting the screw deep should have stopped the governor from opening as much? I was considering adding this feature to the WD45. But I have not gotten into the details of that rework?
 I first need to get a tach to see where I am at now. Most of the antique tractor pulls allow some % over standard RPM. 10% is norm. Only one pull I go to actually checks each tractor RPM.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Dec 2019 at 6:18pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:53pm
Folks,
Worked on these rims today. I thought it was warm. Well it was only about 27 deg F. Not much wind so the Mig worked good. Spooled up the new wire and laid down some welds to tie this split rim back together:
I should have put the hood down!:)

Got one done as far as welding and grinding, sanding and wirebrushing. May get to the other one tomorrow. I think they are going to work OK.

This is the only Christmas card your going to get from us!

Merry Christmas from the Casbohm family to your family!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Dec 2019 at 6:55pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 8:27pm
Looking real good Chris!

That last picture would make great postcard!

Say, what's the deacal on your battery box?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 5:13am
Nice job there Chris,I really like these wheels you do👍

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:51am
     Well, that's a nice Christmas card. Appreciate all the pictures and educational information you share with us. Merry Christmas.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 9:40am
Stroken,
 The decal is the standard instructions for the three settings for the hydraulics. Nothing special there.
Thanks guys, (MD, ac) ,for the nice comments I appreciate that! 
It just seems that if I can get a little bit done once in a while in the winter, that things go easier when spring rolls around.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:55pm
Folks,
Thanks for checking in on me!
Weather was just above freezing and the sun was shining. Time to get at this other rim for the WZ. 

On the bubble as to next step. Brush some paint on the tube area? Sand blast and paint entire rim? Leave as is and let the patina continue? Other options? 
Anyway they are one step closer to getting new rubber. I think I may just order a new pair of the 14.9's! Bigger is always better, right?

The WD45 had to set out  and watch for a little while. 

Regards,
 Chris

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm
Mmmm...I don’t know Chris that’s kind of a tough call.But I have seen tractors down here at pulls that look like your Z with new wheels and tires and they look good.To think about it ,it all seems out of place but actually look good. However I can see letting them patina out also to match the tractor but myself I think if I spent the time and beautiful effort that you put into widening them....I’d have to blast and paint’em.I just don’t think I could help myself 😁

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:46am
Mike, Folks,
 Yes I am leaning towards blasting and painting the rims. Mainly because I hate rusted rims!  I have worked on enough bad ones! These rims are the best ones on any of the tractors I own. Also now is the time before tires are mounted.
 I stopped at the sandblast shop and they can get them done within a week. so I may drop them off tomorrow. Just took my truck into the dealer to service the check engine light is on. 
You guys would have been proud of me I drove by the tire shop and had the strength to NOT stop and buy new rear tires! :) I do still have the option to put the very good 13.6-28's on here too.
Several other things to catch up on first and the rims need to be completed (painted) first anyway.
I think I will go with Rustoleum Silver hammered look (rattle can) for the rim inside and outside, and PO# 1 for the center wheel portion. Not the cream look like my other tractors. At least that's the plan today. Might change several times? If I get them in primer it will be a good start. 
Of course I will keep you up to date. Grab some popcorn. This new phone is awesome!

My good friend Ted is coming over today to visit and talk Allis tractor. This guys has forgot more about orange tractors than I will ever know! We are going to talk Allis carbs, connecting rods, and dozers. May be pictures too!
Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic