This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight Stick plus Gleaner power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 2:34pm
I for one, am really hoping it's in good enough shape for you to bring home! Your threads are wonderful to live vicariously through :)

Also wishing you and the missus a safe and enjoyable weekend adventure!
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:49pm
Strokendiesel002, 
Thanks! I will see if I can find another picture of the WD unit! 
It comes with a brush hog that I have no clue how I am going to load that on the trailer? Also has a three point hitch of some type which I have not viewed. So it should be like Christmas in October!Big smile
The brush hog and three point system could be turned into funds for the project.
Having the latches for the lift arms is a bonus also, in good shape these are worth $50 each too. They may need new springs??

Had to get a Allis picture stuck in here too! I pulled the decals off the WD45 on the hood. I did not get them on straight and they had a pucker in them. I called Maple Hunter and they have a new set in the mail! Talk about service! Awesome! I will try to do a better job this time or keep doing it till I get it right!

Thanks for checking in on me!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:29pm
Folks,
 Well the wife and I made the 300 mile trip to Columbus Oh this weekend to visit our daughter and her family. This old WD was very close by in Delaware Oh, so we swung by and took a look!
Yep Just as the wife and I expected from the pictures. A crusty old WD (Straight stick) with a gray Gleaner engine stuffed into it. Words were exchanged with the owner, the tractor was "tested on" a little and the deal was done! Cheryl was so tickled!Wink

Here she is with the tractor:

Thought I had more pictures? 
Carb side, I did not get the carb number yet. Many things to check out. Just got home.

The two other items that came with it were not very special: A homemade 3 point, not even sure how you might use it?:

and a very rusty pull type brush hog: Loaded up this morning, for the trip back to NWPA.

Many things to look at. During the test drive I was able to run through all the gears and that seemed Ok. Visual check on some of the clearance issues with this type of heart transplant checked out ok. More details later on that too. Tractor started good with no smoke. Oil looked clean but black. All the tires are good. Wished the rears were 14.9-28's but not! But they are good Firestone Field and road units in 13.6-28 size! So I have a new toy that followed us home! The Powerstroke and gooseneck never complained a bit at 70 mph. 
Haven't even unloaded it! Pooped out! Will provide some updates as we learn more about this old tractor and its power plant. 

First impression is that the tractor seems fairly tight in some areas like good snap on the hand clutch. Brakes need looked at: weak.  Will get some pictures of details.
 I have to tell a story about the hand clutch: I got on and took it for a ride. Said the hand clutch had good snap and the owner said that was the hand brake! asked him what he meant and he said he thought it was a hand brake? I said did you ever use it? He said no, it always had plenty of power to brush hog any thing he did. I told him it was a hand clutch to give it live power. He never knew! We can all learn a thing or two some days!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:36pm
Pretty good looking tractor Chris. Looking forward to the project thread. I'm a little jealous, most of the ones I find have junk rubber on them not like new Firestones!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
Mike,
 I agree the rubber is in pretty good shape on this old WD. All the other ones I brought home had either front or rear rubber issues. I looked at the pictures of it pretty hard before I went. Those tires (front and rear) are about the same value as the entire rest of the tractor! 
I do see a seal/ oil leak in the right rear final drive shaft. Pretty common. Not easy to fix, but I have done a couple of them so I know the drill. 
One of the first things will be to review the coolant status. Couldn't see any in the rad. Got some brown liquid at the block drain. We are heading towards colder weather and I don't want any problems in that area.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:37am
Folks,
Just a shot as we were heading towards Cleveland with the WD.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:49am
Folks,
 Rain let up and the weather has turned much cooler. Started to check out the old WD.
Started to get some of the information and numbers.
- Serial number on the rear end: WD116571
- Number stamped on the left side of the block: 17-66326-Z
- Brass data plate on the carb: TSX-464 with 54 under it.
- trans cover casting code: 200931
- front tires: 5.50-16 60%
- Rear tires Firestone Field and Road 13.6-28 80%
- 9 spring pressure plate 
- looks like newer throw out bearing.
- battery is a 12 volt negitive ground.
- still has a generator that may not be working?
- sheetmetal:
  fenders : couple small tears no visible holes fairly straight
 Hood and grill pretty good some damage to the grill shroud, dents
- radiator may have a leak in the bottom area?
- greased and lubed all the fittings.
- Brake springs broken, need new ones. Not sure about the pads yet?
- oil in the air cleaner is black. 
- filter mesh doesnt look too bad.
- I believe it is a 45 air box.
some pictures:

Not sure on the governor? Seems a little loosey goosey??

clearance between steering and oil lines looks ok

fender: Hand clutch has like new snap. Would be nice if it was a 3 plate in there too!

batttree

tool box has weight reduction/ drain/ vent

hood:

The lower cover is missing at front of the bell housing. I can see the rear main area its dry. Also the front crank seal are seams dry too. 

So far I haven't found any major problems. Hope to get the brush hog and tractor off the trailer this afternoon.
Thanks for checking in on me! Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:33pm
You've got another project that looks like a lot of fun, seeing as it's Ma's tractor.  You sure find some jackpots!
Good luck on it Chris,,,,,,,,,,,,,as usual, keep us tuned.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:36pm
Chris, black oil in the oil-bath is no bad thing! One I drug home the 'stuff' in the oil-bath was solid! I believe that was the wide front, that engine turned out to have a scored cylinder. Lack of maintenance of the air cleaner probably a big factor. I think of that from time to time and change the oil in multiple tractors.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:13pm
Mike, Ted, Folks,
Spent the afternoon working on this new to me WD tractor.
The seat pan had rusted out in the center. Welded in a washer and also a carriage bolt to secure it to the seat bar.  Base of the seat bar needs a new bushing at some point.

The front pivot point of the governor rod was very worn. welded this back up and hand worked it.

Checked the coil and it was the type that needed a ballast resistor. So off to NAPA for some supplies. New 12 volt coil,  7 qts of 10W40 oil and a NAPA #1515 Gold oil filter. 

I found that the spring under the tank on the throttle was missing. Stole a spring off my other WD for testing. The rod from the govenor to the carb needed adjusted by bending it into a Z shape to shorten about .25 inches.  Those linkage changes allowed the throttle response to be much more correct!

Changed the oil and filter after a short warm up. Also the oil in the air filter cup had a bunch of debris in the bottom, and was pretty thick. It needed cleaned out!

Freed up the brake lock Blaster and some gentle taps back and fourth.

Removed the draw bar from the snap coupler and tested the spring pressure on the hook. Seemed good and strong!

Changed one of the quadrant slides. I had saved some of the better used ones, from the last tractor. Just making it more functional. 

Doesn't look like the generator is functioning at all. So I may change that to a alternator and up grade the dash.  

Checked the sediment bowl and when I had cleaned and reinstalled the glass, the gas was coming out of the tank very slowly. Took off the sediment bowl assembly and found the entrance to be plugged almost solid with debris and rust. Cleaned and re-installed.

Took a ride down the road and back and it preformed OK. Nothing special. Just a good running old WD.  I believe it may have a WD45 governor assembly. As that portion has orange paint on it like the distributor base. The engine does back fire if throttled down quickly. Great grandson Cooper like the exhaust cracking. Our Golden did not! I will check the engine timing. Maybe some new plugs!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Oct 2019 at 8:18pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 7:57pm
They are supposed to go boom pop when you close the throttle,if not the carb needs adjusted
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:44pm
Steve, Folks, 
Well it sure does go, boom / pop, when you back off the throttle quick! Scares the crap out of the dog!Smile I dont think my 17 does that at all?

Had to put it to work hauling fire wood today. Its starting to get settled in to the new home too.
 Also Thanks to Brenda at Sandy Lake, I did find that is a 1952 model, so 67 years young, same age as me! Need to run down there in the morning to get the misc items I need for the brakes and compensating spring. Also seen that there are no wheel stops. Might pick up a couple of those too.

The throw out bearing was growling even after I put a couple pumps of grease in to it. I consulted Don (MO) and he suggested trying a little more grease. Yes that did the trick! Thanks Don!
I should have checked the timing while I had the cover off! Probably not far off, as it starts good and it sure idles down nice! Need to check WOT rpm at some point. 
How do you increase/ adjust engine RPM if you want to? 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Oct 2019 at 8:58pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:14pm
Holly smokes, she's already doing chores?! Congratulations!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:26pm
Strokendiiesel002, Folks,
Yes they need to earn their keep and surprisingly this tractor has a lot of things in good working order.
I stopped by Sandy lake today and picked up brake springs, compensate spring, sediment bowl screen and gasket, WD front seat support pivot bushings, gasket for the PTO delete, gasket for the hydraulic pump delete option, 4 wheel locks and the shield for under the bell housing. ( the delete options may have to be done at a later date?) I would like to pull in the 3500 + 50 lb class, So I may need to put it on a diet?
Was good to browse through their used parts inventory too. They have a lot of good used parts. Always a good event.

I did get a short draw bar hitch rigged up yesterday with "D" ring. Set it at 17 inches from the ground per our rules. So not sure how much more I will get done to this tractor prior to Saturdays pull?

I also picked up a marine switch for the ignition and a marine toggle for the lights both of these items may go on my wide WD if this WD-E becomes a dedicated fun tractor.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm
Folks,
 Busy getting ready for the local tractor pull this Saturday in Sagertown PA. All are welcome. Weigh in starts at 9:00 ish and pull will start around noon ish. 

The WD went on a weight reduction plan today:
Removed the Hydraulic pump system,
Did a PTO delete.

New gasket made and used a cover from the old parts WD carcass.

Rock shaft is laying in the pile.
Step is off but I may need to add something to make it a little easier to climb on and off!
 Hydraulic cylinders / hoses and brackets off.

I flushed cooling system and added 50-50 mix of universal antifreeze.

new filter screen and gasket on sediment bowl

cleaned out the brake compartments, yikes what a mess!
Put on the new springs and adjusted the stop bolts  and then set the brake adjuster nut. Have lots of brake now! Must be some shoes in there somewhere?:)

Removed the front seat pivot assembly. and replaced the two new bushings! No more seat wobble!
Removed the battree box to get the steel hyd line off. 
While in there I removed the hand clutch cover and found as expected the two plate WD clutch.

Camo-ed the gray engine block to look more like the rest of the crust. A mix of Krylon PO#1 and Rustoleum black.

Made it inside to work on some items.

Tooks the WD45 down to the show grounds and Matt was firing up the 1800's Steam engine for a test of the new system.

Also I aksed Nic if I could use his wheels for the weekend. He removed and delivered them. So I guess I better try the 14-9's!

Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Nov 2019 at 4:08pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:28am
What a day!

Very clever, using a little black to soften the glisten of fresh paint :)

Can't wait to see her with the new shoes!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:55am
Stroken,
Yes this gray engine stuck out like a sore thumb. I saw this done on some new fenders on a patina tractor. It was brown and rusty looking just like the rest of the original tractor. Haven't got it out in the sun to see what it looks like?
Will work on the hydraulic pump delete plate today. Change some tries, work on some weight brackets too. 
 I think this is going quickly towards a dedicated pulling toy! May have to move this to the pulling section??
Thanks for checking in on me! Hope things are VERY good in orange land!
Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Nov 2019 at 4:07pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
Folks,
 Busy with the WD today trying to get it checked over and somewhat prepared for the pulls tomorrow. Lots of moves I will sleep good tonight. This has been a fun week working on it. and at this point I believe I am wrapping up the changes to the tractor.
I found some 1/4 inch plate and burnt out the delete cover for the Hydraulic pump.
I knew I bought those gaskets for a reason. They made great templates!

cork gasket:

cover in place:

Sorry for the glare: I had a broken wheel bolt. Drilled through the broken stud then used a easy out and some blue tip wrench heating, plus blaster, plus air impact wrench to finally break it free.

Cleaned up the exterior of the finals a little and installed Nic's wheels.

I added my weight cross bar at the drawbar, and added 180 lbs (12 @ 15 lb each)

Also added the weight brackets in front of the rear wheels and will bring 4 of the 100 lb suit case weights. Hope to pull in the 3500, 3750 and 4000 class.

Took it for a spin and it seemed to miss a little.

So I stopped at NAPA and picked up a tune up kit for a d17 series IV, Plus a set of Belden wires. The dirty plug was what I found a set of Autolite short plugs #437. I replaced with a set of #64 long reach plugs.

Tune up complete, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, points and condenser:

I should check the timing, if I get ambitious in the morning.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Oct 2019 at 9:48pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:32pm
Folks,
Update on the WD. I pulled in 3500, 3750 and 4000 lb classes. Was beat by a strong WC with a combine engine in the first two. (I think I my have outpulled my neighbor with his strong WD in the first two but not sure where I placed?) But I did receive a trophy for first in the 4000 lb class! I didn't get any actual pulling pictures. I was too busy helping, hooking, running the sled, announceing, pulling or grooming the track. 

Not bad for its first pulling adventure for the WD:)
 I pulled in second gear several times and it did not seem to mid at all!Smile 

We had a rainy cold drizzle to start the day, dried out and was sunny but cool for the rest of the day. Beauty and the Beast!

One of the many Allis' pulling today a CA. We had about 80 hooks. Not bad for a cool fall day.

Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:10pm
Awesome results! Congratulations on a great Saturday, did you pull any of your other toys?

Thank you for sharing!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:41am
Strokendiesel002, Folks,
Darn leg cramps got me up!

Thanks! I did pull the Ford Jubilee in the 3000 lb class. This is dominated by very strong Farmalls. I believe I was last place out of 6-7 tractors.  Lets call it a donation to the club!

My Ford story of the day. Friend was scraping the track with the Jubilee and I see he is stopped. Figure it ran out of gas. Nope they say the clutch is completely gone! Well not good to be the owner of a tractor with a bad clutch! They push it off the track. 
I was running the sled and had time to think a little. Dawned on me that they must have hit the valve for the rare hydraulic hand clutch.  Near your left heel. Yep sure enough it was in the half way position and the tractor acted like it had had no clutch. Adjusted the valve and off she goes! Good as new!

Pulled the shiny new looking WD45 in the 4000 lb class. Dang its nice to have a fresh clean well running tractor under you!! it did real good but was passed by several tough tractors, including my old WD. 

Track conditions were soft and dry. Which for this track was pretty good condition. Kudos to the guys who worked on the track, discing, rolling scraping and filling in some of the low spots!

This WD still needs some additional weight reduction! I was about 3560 to 3580 on these scales. Would like to take another 50 lbs off to get under the 3500 mark. I would like to keep the fenders, so other areas may need to be considered. I guess fender brackets cold be lightened with extra holes?

The old generator may have to go. Would like to have a charging system so may look at the small denso (sp) type. 

Removing the hand clutch assembly could net 25-30 lbs. Just some work to split the tractor to get that accomplished. 

So even with all that done I would not be able to move much weight around if any in the 3500 lb class.  And the 3750 class is few and far between around here. Which leaves the 4000 lb class as the optimum class for moving weights to improve the balance of the tractor for different track conditions. 

I still have a grinding/binding/squeeking noise when I let out the foot clutch. its either the throw out bearing or the pilot bearing? Greased the throw out bearing well. So my guess is a dry or worn out pilot bearing??

Tried pulling the WD in second gear in two of the tree pulls, Had to back off the throttle to stay under the speed limit in the first 75 feet. But had plenty of power at the end of the pull on this type of track. Maybe on a real good power track it might have been different.

Did not have any issues with the front being light, but again the soft track just chewed up a pile of dirt and did not get the bite to bring the front end up. 

Will need to build a weight bracket for the front, just in case I need that someday too.
Need to add upper rear weight brackets behind the rear axle also. All stuff that I have noted from other famous tractor pullers!Smile

Will be a process. For now I was please that the tractor ran pretty strong and did not have any major malfunctions!

Thanks for putting up with a old mans ramblings in the middle of the night!

Picture getting ready to head out to the show yesterday and the drizzle looks a lot like sleet! Dang winter is right around the corner. Never ready!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:08pm
Folks,
 A couple shots of me on some tractors owned by my friend Matt in Lake city PA.
This Case VAC reminds me that I first learned to drive on one of these!
Me at the wheel:

Matts John Deere H, I had to drive! Very awkward! Darn hand clutch!

4:00 today we got the last tractor home:

Maybe I need more/bigger trailer?

Getting a idea about weight brackets on the rear of the WD. 

Changed the wheels back on the WD. Will start to shop for electrical and alternator upgrades.

Thanks for checking on me! Tomorrow we have the two grand daughters and the two great grandsons! Should be real interesting!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:33pm
Folks,
 Picked up a Denso alternator from local tractor parts dealer. It is a one wire. Going to try that. I know it adds weight, but I like to have the battery charging. Have new key switch and volt meter to rebuild the dash of the WD.
Also stopped by Sandy Lake and returned some parts and bought a new Allis flame hat. 
I have started on a custom bracket for the alternator. Will change to a larger pulley, if I can find one in the vast warehouse! Will get some pictures tomorrow.
Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
It sure looks like a fun tractor. I've personally never been able to get myself interested pulling (prefer plow days etc.) but that engine would be fun.

I've been thinking about the trailer length thing myself as I need to buy one. I feel like ideally one would be able to fit 2 WDs on, right? I also can't imagine not having a deckover but that's just me.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:48am
wjohn,
 I know most of this thread is directly related to antique tractor pulling. And I know a lot of us dont go there or dont start stripping and ripping tractors apart to get into this hobby! I am Ok with both original tractors and modifications to enhance them for strictly pulling although I am VERY new to the pulling thing and have only been skirting around the edges of it fo maybe the past 5 years. This is the first tractor that I have attempted to modify for just competition. I have been watching a lot of tractors, taking some notes and this happened to be set up with a lot of the things already in place, Like the stronger Z code engine. Its a bug that bites just like a lot of other old man hobby things. 

That could be why a lot of folks may view this thread but not have much input. And Thats OK too! They are not pulling and or don't like to see tractors become specialized competitive type units??

Since I have had practice taking apart 4 of these machines I am pretty familiar with the components and moves to make. 

One thing is my goal is to not damage the tractor in any way that it cannot be put back to original condition. 

But since it had the Gleaner engine when I bought it I guess it had already been modified in a way that was close to how a person might make one into a more competitive machine and still stay loosely within the Allis guidelines.  Ok maybe slightly outside the guidelines!:) It was not set up for pulling. it was a tractor used for brush hogging pastures.

On the trailer. A deck over to haul two WD's would be real nice.  Then I would haul more tractors and spend more money!:) But I do like my little one tractor car hauler too. Its small, low to the ground makes it easy to load and climb on and off of easy too.  I have a good sized tool box and a Warn winch.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Oct 2019 at 6:59pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:09pm
Folks,
 Rainy weather pushed me inside to tinker with the new WD this afternoon. I pulled the plugs and they had some oil and black on them. Since I have not even touched the carb I may have some issues there too?
 I did pull the cover off the bottom of the bell housing and proceed to roll the engine over and find the 4 hash marks on the flywheel. Marked all four with soapstone loosened the distributor and checked the timing at WOT. It was very close to where the distributor was set so, I only had to move it maybe 1/16 of a inch. Was glad I had gotten that checked out.
I pulled off the generator and worked on fabricating the base bracket for the small Denso alternator. I used a old generator bracket with a extension on the front end to support the 1 inch wide alternator pivot. Upper adjusting bracket will just get a spacer added. The fan belt is not in very good shape (cracks) but may last another 10 years? Will evaluate replacing that tomorrow. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:49pm
Sugarmaker, Just finishing up modifying my trailer from 14' to 18' to haul 2 B's or a CA and golf cart, should have made 16' with a 2' dovetail, 18' lumber is hard to find and expensive, with a 2' dovetail could have used 16'.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
Tim,
 I think trailers are kind of like garages, never big enough. I see several guys that have gone to semi trucks to haul their several pullers at one time. We need some pictures!
Friend of mine just bought a new 10,000 lb gooseneck, pierced frame, deck over, that is 20 ft and a beaver tail. Very nice trailer! I could haul the WD's with that!

I just got done reading some old posts in the pulling forum. I realized I am just playing around the edges of this sand pile! So many guys have forgot more than I will ever know. I don't want this to to become something that consumes me and my resources and or time. At this point I am still learning and the antique pulls are still fun to go to. I don't plan to progress in this sport to another  more competitive level. If I am not having fun,  I am out of here! Fun to me does not mean winning. I think I really enjoy the build portion of these projects way more than the end results. Am I weird or what? Don't answer that!Smile

Regards,
 Chris  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:31pm
Folks,
Even a old tractor needs some attention to make it a little more reliable. So the electrical upgrades were in order. I lived with tractors that were not maintained and would not start for so many years on the farm that one of my pet peeves is to get the charging system functioning and have the tractor start when I want.
As expected the old wiring was brittle, the generator was not charging, and the dash was in unknown condition. 
Pulled the Gen and built a custom bracket from two WD gen brackets to mount the Denso alternator. Basically added additional bracket 1 inch away from the old one. Cut the end off the bracket that wasn't being used just to sanitize the mount a little! Smile Was way less work to mount this small alternator than a larger GM type unit! I like it! What I like is that the original bracket base has the step for Allis swoop sheet metal! I love those details!

The right thing to do would have been to drain the rad again, remove the bottom hose, replace the old cracked fan belt, resize the alternator pulley and correct the top bracket to tighten the alt. 
I did none of that!
 Found some old bolts to attach the alternator and bracket to the tractor, cobbled up a spacer from junk on the work bench, and we are good to go! Oh yea re-tapped the threaded hole in the top adjuster of the Denso unit! It was some kind of odd thread size. Could have been those metric trolls? We can't have that on a old WD! Ran a 5/16 tap through there and found a bolt in the vast warehouse with patina in place snugged the old belt, and tightened it down! Belt alignment was to spec!

Ran new wire for every thing except the coil which looked decent. I will try this as a one wire alt ,if it preforms Ok I will leave it. I would like it to charge at low idle on start up. and not have to exicite the alt with a wire / diode if posible.

The dash before, (the switch for charging may have been good)? Fuse was blown:

Welded up the hole in upper left, partial welded the hole for the light switch. Yes I have a light fetish too. I may not put them on right now but will run the new wires up under the tank. Sometimes we are at pulls into the night and lights are a plus:
Also added my spray paint "PO/rust" patina on the shiny ground surfaces. 

Components to upgrade the dash:  Marine grade (which means they were made under water in China) Light toggle, New key switch, and NAPA volt meter.

Total cost of this electrical upgrade maybe $160, tractor starting when it is supposed to priceless!
Hope things are good in Orange land! I need to be prepping for winter! Brain is stuck in fix old tractor mode! I know Don(MO) is getting tired of me calling him!:) He has been a big help on some of the details!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Oct 2019 at 2:49pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:47pm
Chris...I'm a little late catching up, but you mentioned the Jubilee with the hydraulic live PTO clutch...I know what you're talking about, but have never seen one, except in pics. It is rare, like you said. Is that on your Jubilee? 
My great-grandpa had a Jubilee with that attachment, but the tractor was long gone before I was born, unfortunately. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic