This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight pipe exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straight pipe exhaust
    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:20am
Howdy forum friends. A an insignificant question.

Upon inspection of my exhaust system, I found the original muffler has s spit in it. My tractor is a HD16DC.

Has anyone run just a straight exhaust pipe without a muffler? Not sure I would find a replacement unit.

Bet it's loud but I use hearing protection regardless.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:00am
Im guessing it would be awful loud.  I would try to repair yours by welding or you could fabricate something without too much trouble.  A large section of round pipe with inlet and outlet welded on and some kind of smaller perforated pipe down the center.  It would probably make a big difference in sound and pretty simple but up to you.

or put on a turbo and straight pipe... lol

Edited by CAL(KS) - 05 Feb 2018 at 9:01am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:26am
Depends on IF some back pressure is needed for proper performance of engine - On my little 2-71 on HD5G - I made my own ehaust as muffler rotted out and the Oval muffler that was stock bolted directly to head - I used 4" round tube welded to plate to attach to engine - then welded a 2 1/2" outlet to that and extended through hood - attached a IH tractor muffler to that - did remove baffel from muffler though for better flow . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:49am
My 7G 344 is a straight pipe on a turbo. I HAVE to use ear protection on it. I am going to do some exhaust rehab on it come spring.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:52am
Is that a turbocharged engine? Here in the "land of fruits and nuts" and I am not talking about tree products, where the loonies are ,with out a doubt, running the asylum , a spark arrestor is required on just about anything off highway unless it has a turbo. If there is a fire where you are working, it doesn't matter what started it, and your piece of equipment does not have a legal spark arrestor, you will be cited and stuck with all  suppression costs associated with that fire. Can you imagine the operating costs on a Sikorsky  Sky Crane (about 30K/hr) and a DC 10 and all the dozers, firetrucks and alllllll the little yellow jacketed minions that hooked themselves to a State nipple, that do nothing but watch the airplanes. Long story short, a spark arrestor will quite down an engine considerably.    Tad
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Tad Wicks Tad Wicks wrote:

Is that a turbocharged engine? Here in the "land of fruits and nuts" and I am not talking about tree products, where the loonies are ,with out a doubt, running the asylum , a spark arrestor is required on just about anything off highway unless it has a turbo. If there is a fire where you are working, it doesn't matter what started it, and your piece of equipment does not have a legal spark arrestor, you will be cited and stuck with all  suppression costs associated with that fire. Can you imagine the operating costs on a Sikorsky  Sky Crane (about 30K/hr) and a DC 10 and all the dozers, firetrucks and alllllll the little yellow jacketed minions that hooked themselves to a State nipple, that do nothing but watch the airplanes. Long story short, a spark arrestor will quite down an engine considerably.    Tad

No my tractor is not a turbo unit. My bobcat is however and that does have a spark arrestor on it by design. Thank you
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

Im guessing it would be awful loud.  I would try to repair yours by welding or you could fabricate something without too much trouble.  A large section of round pipe with inlet and outlet welded on and some kind of smaller perforated pipe down the center.  It would probably make a big difference in sound and pretty simple but up to you.

or put on a turbo and straight pipe... lol

The split is easy to get at and I will likely put a bead on it to seal it back up. I was mainly curious as to if anyone was using just a straight pipe deliberately. As loud as my old girl is, I cannot imagine her with out a muffler.

Thank you for the opinion Cal.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Depends on IF some back pressure is needed for proper performance of engine - On my little 2-71 on HD5G - I made my own ehaust as muffler rotted out and the Oval muffler that was stock bolted directly to head - I used 4" round tube welded to plate to attach to engine - then welded a 2 1/2" outlet to that and extended through hood - attached a IH tractor muffler to that - did remove baffel from muffler though for better flow . 

I never considered on the back pressure thing but would make sense. No way to verify that however and as I mentioned to Cal, the split is easy to get at and I will just put a bead on it to seal it up. Nothing that a wire brush and some Black stove pipe paint to make it look good as new.

Thank you Coke.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

My 7G 344 is a straight pipe on a turbo. I HAVE to use ear protection on it. I am going to do some exhaust rehab on it come spring.

I like the exhaust tone of my 16 but she barks pretty loud with the muffler even with a split. No turbo on her either. I heard the 16000 engine did not respond well to a turbo added on. No intent to do so either.

Thank you D.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 4:14pm
If you find that the metal is thinned out where it is split think about making a wrap around that goes over the outside of the muffler and welding that on.  You get more metal to weld to on the seams.

I rebuilt the one on our AC Forty Five that way.  Panel beat the basic shape (round in this case - would be easier if I'd had a roller) out of about 2 mm sheet, clamped it down over the original, trimmed and welded it in place.   Even beat out a a new domed top cover.  There was room in the bonnet hole for it without modification.

YMMV
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 5:47pm
That would be a good approach and will see if feasible. My split is on the top do I am figuring a way for a heavy or thicker gauge cap piece and come down the sides.

Thank you Ian
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 12:52pm
The muffler on my project 11-B is totally rotted out, not sure what to do for a replacement.  Most if not all turbocharged AC construction equipment ran a straight pipe from 1964 on, but they started adding mufflers in the mid seventies, right after the merger.  I could just eliminate the muffler and add a straight pipe (most have had this conversion by now), but I really don't want to cut another hole in the hood...
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:35pm
I had a curved straight pipe on my HD5 D, it wasn't very loud, I placed the curve outlet towards the front.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:42pm
chrome turnout stack on top of muffler is the way to go.  Big smile

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

chrome turnout stack on top of muffler is the way to go.  Big smile

I am leaning towards the turn out slash cut chrome pipe when painted. I have a straight pipe off the muffler that has the rain cap on it. I took it off and cleaned it and painted it flat black and it is an improvement. With a fresh paint job, I like the look of yeller with black accents. Hard to beat chrome though Cal.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Lazyts Lazyts wrote:

The muffler on my project 11-B is totally rotted out, not sure what to do for a replacement.  Most if not all turbocharged AC construction equipment ran a straight pipe from 1964 on, but they started adding mufflers in the mid seventies, right after the merger.  I could just eliminate the muffler and add a straight pipe (most have had this conversion by now), but I really don't want to cut another hole in the hood...

A question for ya Lazyts. Would a turbo reduce the sound more than a non turbo unit. with both using no muffler, which would be louder? Turbo no muffler or non turbo no muffler?

Im going to take the muffler off for repair and will see the difference myself but was curious how a turbo would affect the exhaust note.

Thank you for joining in on my trivial topic. Is it possible Chrome makes every thing alright?
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I had a curved straight pipe on my HD5 D, it wasn't very loud, I placed the curve outlet towards the front.

Thank you shameless.

I lost the muffler on my Oliver 1855 tractor. It is a 1972. Put a great straight slash cut chrome pipe on it and love the sound. My Oliver has the 98 HP Waukesha diesel engine in it. It sounds awesome moving what that straight pipe on it. Yes its chrome!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:14pm
Turbo diffuses the exhaust enough to muffle some. In heavy trucks USED to be if turbo charged could have straight pipes as the turbo qualified as a 'Muffling Device'
lowell66dart View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowell66dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:34pm
If you look on the Summit Racing or Jegs websites you can find short bullet type mufflers/glasspacks. I bought one for a 7060 and added muffler pipe with the same od as the muffler.  A little welding, grinding and paint and it works well. I think I had $70 in it.
AC 6080 (8030,7060,200,175,D-17HC, 6040,160,6140 all gone) Farmall 1066 & 656 Hi-Clear (for sale), White 2-62 High Clearance, JD 4255 Hi Clear.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
Always liked the straight pipe, on the old D-19...Wink

[TUBE]MLCGNyBtOls[/TUBE]
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:09pm
When we got our new-to-us FA 10 dozer (and before the books arrived) I wasn't sure who made what on it.  Except for the muffler, reasoning that only Italians would have used a baked enamel muffler
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:14am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Turbo diffuses the exhaust enough to muffle some. In heavy trucks USED to be if turbo charged could have straight pipes as the turbo qualified as a 'Muffling Device'

Now that's interesting DMiller. I did not know that. Good to know.
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:27am
Jerry if you want to pay the shipping. I will give you my original muffler. I’m going to remove it this weekend. Because I will make a self hanging exhaust system to release the pressure on the manifold.

I can send the 3 light set up to ;)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Morten.have Morten.have wrote:

Jerry if you want to pay the shipping. I will give you my original muffler. I’m going to remove it this weekend. Because I will make a self hanging exhaust system to release the pressure on the manifold.

I can send the 3 light set up to ;)

Hey Morten,,, wondered where you have been and if you are OK. I will PM you on this. I took off the muffler and its pretty fixable so I am going to go that route. How is the weather over there right now. Here in Michigan which is called the Great Lake State, its around 14 degrees F with snow almost daily this past week and into this weekend.

How have you made out with your exhaust manifold repair'/replacement. I have tried but cannot find one anywhere here in the states. I have a large Cat Dealer and Repair house call AIS and they have a posting board for parts selling and folks looking with your needed manifold listed. Hoping they can come up with a solution
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 3:24pm
I have bin working my Ass off lately, mostly for Cat and a bit with my Cat digger. In the meanwhile Joel have send a manifold overseas that should be fixable. It have received to Denmark, but the tax system has taken the lead and they are ripping me for money Big time!! Today I’m started to prepare the dozer for the manifold but that didn’t turn out well because I snapped 5 studs so tomorrow’s I’m gonna get the drill skills testet.

The weather here is damm cold but it’s only -2 C no snow but it’s storming and the air is thin. Over here they give all the roads salt 4-6 times a day so there is salt everywhere by now It’s make a big rust problem, and a lot of washer fluid ;)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Morten.have Morten.have wrote:

I have bin working my Ass off lately, mostly for Cat and a bit with my Cat digger. In the meanwhile Joel have send a manifold overseas that should be fixable. It have received to Denmark, but the tax system has taken the lead and they are ripping me for money Big time!! Today I’m started to prepare the dozer for the manifold but that didn’t turn out well because I snapped 5 studs so tomorrow’s I’m gonna get the drill skills testet.

The weather here is damm cold but it’s only -2 C no snow but it’s storming and the air is thin. Over here they give all the roads salt 4-6 times a day so there is salt everywhere by now It’s make a big rust problem, and a lot of washer fluid ;)

That exhaust manifold is fighting you every step of the way. We use a lot of salt in Michigan and not uncommon to see salt trucks out 2 to 3 times per day. When it's under 10 degrees Fahrenheit our salt does not work and they plow and drop sand. They call our area the Rust Belt for a reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic