This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering clutch
    Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 4:28pm
Good afternoon ,
Mac McGrail looking for assistance here , again .
I got my HD11B (ser.#2675) up and moving again !Many thanks to all of you !
Problem : Left hand steering clutch will not dis-engage.When I pull it back the lever stops -hard- about 4 inchs before it should ( as compared to the right one that works perfectly) .
I am assuming that over the years of just sitting that moisture has gotten in to the assembly anhd frozen it engaged .
I've been told that if I plug up the open hole under the machine and pour "diesel" into the steering clutch compartment and work the lever while moving the machine a little for a while and letting it set for a while --- it will free up .Then drain it and work the lever under no load conditions for a while it will dry out and perhaps be OK again .
Any truth to that ?
Any suggestions ?
Thank you in advance for your help.
            Mac McGrail       maccountry22640@yahoo.com 

Mac McGrail
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 7:47pm
I have did that on my HD5's several times when I had water or oil leaks in cases .
 Since i put the HD11 ceramic clutches in - it has not been a problem 

Give it a try - it is written in the HD5 manual of flushing the clutches . 
In fact i did same thing on my HD4 machine.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:13am
Another method that works if the clutches ar not rusted too bad.
put the machine against something it can not move.
disengage both steering clutches
engage the master clutch with the transmission in gear.
Sometimes this will free the steering clutch sometimes it will break it.
either wy it has to come out. I have tried this on more than one HD6.
It never worked. But I never broke anything else.
I did manage to move some things that I didn't think I could.
maccountry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 6:30am
Good morning Members ,  I've decided I'm going to try to "Sell my HD11B" (serial # 2675)
It needs more work than I can do.Hate to admit being 72 entered into the decision ! It needs at least a left side steering clutch & radiator repair .It started in less than 5 seconds when I first tried starting it after sitting 5 years .I drove it a half a mile to my garage with no problem ( other than having to let it cool off about every 300 yards ) .Needs new fuel filters and loosing power because existing filters are getting clogged with 5 year old fuel and tank sediment .I fixed the ideler yoke adjustment screws & they work easily now .The main spring "seat" on the left side is broken and some body stuck an additional piece of leaf spring in that side to equilize the height .One "link" on the rail assembly has been nickle welded ever since I got it 10 years ago.Still holding well but if thats a problem it also comes with one extra full track I got with it .New batteries , new starter and bush button electric switch.Has a full cab on it ( some broken glass) ,all gauges work well & show correct operating readings.Few extra pins .Lots of rust.If any interest in members I would like to see it stay with some body that wants to actually use it .I'm in the Front Royal Virginia area and am looking for offers.I really don't want to sell it for scrap!It is still a work horse !! I want to make a decision on what to do with it by August 10 .
         Mac McGrail     maccountry22640@yahoo.com
Mac McGrail
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 4:31pm
Hello Members . I decided to keep my HD11B after a frustrating last fall when I was ready to sell or scrap it . Spent another $2,500.00 on it instead . New radiator .
Back at it now . Will put the radiator in next week  and get it started again . Next will be the left hand steering clutch which is frozen in the engaged position . May try the "plug and fill with diesel and push against a big tree " thing and see if that releases it . Any other suggestions would be welcome .
Thanks in advance .   maccountry    ( in Front Royal , Virginia ) .
Mac McGrail
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 6:27am
Before trying to break loose the stuck steering clutch, get as much of the accumulated trash from the steering clutch compartment. I had a mouse nest and dead mice and dirt in the clutch compartment when I added diesel. The clean up was disgusting.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:03am
Thank you for the suggestion.How did you get all that stuff out of there?Vacume cleaner with small hose,maybe? In the end --- did you have to break yours loose and if so how did it work ? If you know --- do I put the actual tread that is locked in the activated position up against the tree when I activate the master clutch or just the center of the blade ?Thank you in advance for your help.
Maccountry @ Front Royal Virginia
Mac McGrail
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:22am
I try to get the debris out before adding solvent thru the plug at the bottom of the steering clutch compartment by using a metal rod with a hook on the end. The bad experience I had was when I didn't minimize the amount of debris before I added diesel. At that time I drained the dirty diesel and then used my shop vac with a small diameter tube taped to the hose. I ruined the shop vac.

I have 2 posts on this forum. "What is the tensile strength of a mouse nest?"
19 August, 2012 and "Steering clutches again" 15 October, 2013 You can search for these posts on Google

The concept of pushing on an immovable object with the master clutch engaged and the steering clutches disengaged never worked for me. This method is used for cleaning slipping steering clutches that are contaminated.

People try to free steering clutches with solvent to avoid the work of pulling the clutch pack. I suppose it is worth a try. Good luck
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:48am
several of the hd6's I had stuck the steering clutches, I never had any luck getting them unstuck by flooding them with diesel or putting the bucket or scaraficer bar against a big tree and pushing both to the front or rear.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:51pm
I got a D6 cheap because of stuck steering clutch.With it out of machine when stack came apart a lot of the friction material was stuck on the steel plates so would not have operated very well anyway.After fixing the one side used it 50 hours and the other side started slipping and would not adjust.Ended up rebuilding it as well.It only had a few discs and plates working the rest where stuck together.Thankfully on a D6 the fuel tank is the only thing that had to be removed twice.So take it apart before you break something and think about doing both sides when it is open.   
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:41am
Recommend the clutches be removed for inspection and repair.  Unlikely that the plates will free.

With the original steel and fiber plates in the machine it is likely that the steel plates have oxidized so will need a good cleanup. 

Good Luck 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic