This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering box model B or C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering box model B or C
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:47am
Hello everyone. My son and I are restoring 2 model C tractors. One is a tricycle and the other has a B wide front end. The one with the model B wide front-end has been jerry-rigged. By that I mean that the steering box is off another tractor, and it appears that the drag link (it points down) is hose-clamed to the other tractor's steering box drag link.

I need a new used steering box. My question is this: Does a model B steering box bolt onto a model C tractor? I think my best bet would be to buy the B box and drag link and after that everything should hook up. 

Am I looking at this correctly? Does anyone have a steering box for sale or know where one could be found. 

C,C, D-15
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:01am
A B steering box will bolt to a C torque tube. Used with a B drag link will correct the reverse steering you get when trying to use a B front endnote a C
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:47pm
---------The B and C steering boxes look very similar........ The B box has the steering arm pointed DOWN.. The C box has the steering arm pointed UP... If you switch the boxes and put a C on a B, you would have  the arm pointed UP.. and the tractor will turn left when the wheel turns right.

If you remove and point it DOWN as similar to the B it could work, but the arms are not the same and you would have to "BUILD" one are out of 2. 

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:18pm
model C setup

Kddrck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kddrck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:02pm
Thanks to all for the responses. I have the answer to my question. A little bit of a back story. My 14 year-old son and I restored an 8N, broke it down, sandblasted and rebuilt. He wanted to do a Model C because that was the tractor his great-grandpa traded in a team of horses for. I found one in the weeds and we drug it home. After we got that one home,  his great uncle told him he knew who had bough his great grandpa's Model C back in the late 1980s. We picked up the scent and began following the trail. The man who had bought it had died. The tractor had been stolen about 8 years ago and we located the junk yard where it was sold. The owner of the junk yard was in prison on another unrelated charge. We located a family member of the junk man, and to make matters easier I just offered him a little money, loaded up the tractor, and drove off with the tractor. The tractor had the tricycle removed and a B front end installed. We have our work cut out for us, but this is the most fun I've had since I was his age. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Now THATS A STORY !!!  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic