This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steel building homes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steel building homes
    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:05am
give me the good and bad and ugly!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:48am
that's what we're gonna build if we build new. can puts LOTS of insulation in them, plus hydronic floor heat works well in them. open floor plan, can build short walls and change room sizes when ever ya want. low maintiance, others will chirp in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 2:48am
i thought you was living in the south now?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:10am
Been researching same here.  Can have a Red Iron Shop/House Building up and standing on concrete for what would have in a small frame house as to costs.  Can then frame out interior on my time frame or hold until lumber pricing does drop.

Steel is not wind proof, although siding is more easily replaced or repaired.  Sealing windows or doors can be some problematic as steel shrinks and swells more than wood to ambient temps.  HAVE to vapor barrier the interior from the outside sheathing or will sweat just as barns do.  Have to use the under sheathing insulation and MAKE CERTAIN no air leaks between that insulation and roofing or will sweat and appear as roof leaks or put the roofing over 5/8 t&g sheeting with a vapor barrier skin.  

Commercial Skin is different than barn steel, heavier rib, thicker(Not by Much) skin so less apt to fold back in strong wind, is secured the Old Way on top of Ribs not in valleys as barn tin is done now.  Not many flashing products available for the Commercial Grade other than Commercial ventilation products.  

Have to be industrious and inventive for Insulation products to make the building R value high enough for a Home Purpose. 

Have a plan at a Architect currently, he is toying with it where want to construct Conventional Frame and steel skin it(Barn Grade) house.  Want Steel roof, steel siding over Wrapped sheathing, wrap around porch roof to keep window and door openings Under Cover so if do get sealant breaks will not water intrude.  MINIMAL roof Penetrations, route plumbing vents to single or at most Two stacks, set a wood stove Flue prior to roofing so is incorporated into roof seal.
Architect is writing up all the required fittings as available for use on the build.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:40am
Dave have you looked into spray foam insulation?  Used in homes and buildings both

If your sewer vents and flue went out the sidewall the roof wouldn't need any vent stacks,  new water heater and furnace vent through sidewall as well.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
Last summer I saw a home that was built using a large used steel grain bin.
It sure had an open floor. 

Edited by Dusty MI - 20 Feb 2021 at 7:58am
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:56am
For Waste Line codes in MO(That are being spread into nearly every county) vents have to exit thru the roof.  Can put out thru a side wall of an eave but then has to be 18-24" above roof height at that point to just be legal and that is variable county to county.  Standard plumbing code for our adjoining counties is thru the Roof to decrease chance of freeze seal.

Spray Foam is what we used here in this house.  Are getting strange Enviro hits on released chemicals from the foam over time even as solidified.  Would still have to sheath and vapor barrier inside to spray foam on as a friend did a game room building and the steel sheathing rusted thru in pinholes everywhere(Galvalume) as did just direct apply.  Has had to strip exterior and start over.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:24am
When I built my house I had 1" of spray foam on outside wall then r-19 insulation then plastic then drywall. I has worked verywell. The resone for R-19 was I had already bought it to cover my basement floor to keep it from freezing the first winter without insulation .
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:58am
Work with a contractor who built 4 steel built homes in early 2000s . Fire resistant as nothing to burn . Also believe rafters were on 4 foot centers so no need for header over doors or windows smaller than 4 foot.
Bad ; need blocking around door frames , for cabinets and anywhere trim or base is set. In the end contractor decided too much trouble and went back to stick framing
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:58am
shameless; we just snowbird in AZ; live the other 8 months in Nebraska!    I don't think i will get into the retro fitting of a grain bin or doing my own design.   The company i deal with must be big enuff to have blue prints available, then sends only what i need to build the house to a builder with experience on building steel building houses!

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm
My barn has leaked like a sieve.  Probably shoddy construction.

Anyhow, I know a couple of metal buildings close by that are being lived in.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 5:28pm
They now have metal with a moisture Barkley laminated to the back side.
We’ve built a couple.
They have a metal building company build the building then we come close it in and build the interior.
One in particular had 12’ walks but we built the inside with 8’ walls and a loft over the entire thing. Had a ton of storage up there and they insulated that ceiling. Those folks are quite happy with that one. Very efficient.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:57pm
There are several here. If I ever need to build a new house, it will be a steel frame building with an apartment inside. I was very suprized, I used to have a customer come in the tire shop. The man had so little common sense, I always thought he would have trouble unlocking his car door. He put up one and had an apartment built inside, spray foamed it with 2" of solid foam. Sheet rocked over the foam. Had a 2 car garage on the north end along with a place to keep his tractor and a few pieces of equipment. I had to go out and fix a rear tire on his WD45. His wife took me inside, it was beautiful inside. One wall,8' tall was lined from top to bottom with trophies, bull riding, bare back riding, team roping, etc. And here's me thinking he'd have trouble coiling his rope.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
RUST!!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:23pm
Most all steel buildings do not generate much rust or corrosion, encapsulated they remain contaminant limited and not much chews on them to cause rust.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:14pm
Since alot of people just had a little taste of cold weather, one thing I will say is on a friends office area they built connected to the shop so they didn't use up shop space. Someone wasn't thinking and they put some water pipes in the north wall anyway a few winters back one cold spell they had frozen pipes. I don't know if it was pex just guessing because nothing broke. Part of the problem also is the wainscoting on the outside looks nice but it is another seam for cold air to blow in. When you look at what some of those guys have done with shop offices/lunch rooms it is easy to say I could live in that.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:01pm
one example.......

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
steve; not a design i would want but this is a picture of the kind of building that i wanted to know about!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:33am
what kind of layout were your thinking ?  Big garage attached, or BIG BARN size  ?  Less house, more house ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:58am
  Building a building like that when your young is great but as you get older the stairs can become a problem. Where and attached home and garage-shop is more convenient 

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Building a building like that when your young is great but as you get older the stairs can become a problem. Where and attached home and garage-shop is more convenient 

For years I preached how much less expensive it was to build a two story house with reduced foundation and roof costs. 

Now, as I am older, I wouldn't even consider a two story and I am thinking of changing some of my entry steps to ramps. My grandson currently has a broken leg. It makes me realize what a problem steps can be.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:12pm
i have a single story house with attached garage for most work.. Figured that out 40 years ago... Dont want a 2 story, but if i had one, i would make sure main bedroom  / kitchen / living room / laundry were all on the first floor... Upstairs could be long term storage, 2-3 bedrooms for kids when the visit , extra TV room, etc..
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 2:02pm
Current place is two BR Upstairs at Grade level, two steps in from Garage or off front porch.  Laundry, Pantry, TV room, Kitchen, Most of daily life supplies all on that level.  Basement has two BR, large sitting area/TV room just as Upstairs, utility runs in a long corridor along face wall of basement and some storage.  Knees no longer enjoy steps but make the effort for now.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 4:57pm
no stairs; something like a 3 bedroom 2 bath with oversized 3 car garage.   front to the east so an overhang on that side.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:28pm
this is alot closer to what i want!

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:07am
I have always wanted a nice heated shop with living quarters in it. My only reservation (other than lack of money) is that if your shop burns down, so does your house, and if your house burns down, so does your shop. If I ever could afford one, I probably wouldn't let that qualm stop me from doing so though. Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
  A steel building seem like that would be less likely to happen if you used steel studs than with a wooden pole building.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 3:50pm
my theory is to avoid wood, where ever possible!
\
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:16pm
there are companies that are building steel framed homes that look like any other house around. some include steel studs, some don't . we are looking at a "T" style, living T'd off a machinery type shed that is taller than the house part. with the steel wall inside the divided buildings, it creates a fire wall. aside from the heated floor, sewer pipes, other plumbing, and electrical, the old lady....oooops....i mean the loving wife and myself plan on finishing the interior ourselves. we have built our own bath and kitchen cabinets ourselves in the house we currantly live in. we also want knotty pine for walls, and unsure what the ceiling will be yet. there is a reason for the larger machine/garage area that i won't address at this time. having never had a garage before, it'll be a welcome site to be able to walk from the vehicle to the house in a dry non windy area.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic