This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Station Wagon ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Station Wagon ??
    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:31pm
I stopped into a friends place this evening and a visitor brought up the "National Lampoons" vacation and had the opportunity  to buy the "ORIGINAL" buggy at an auction  years ago LOL. I asked "who" (manufactures) of the early '70's produced a station wagon and both of the guys said that Dodge/Plymouth had a station wagon but could not recall the "model designation". 
Are they correct that there was a MOPAR station wagon in the late '60's TongueSmile ??

Sponsored Links

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:54pm
North American Truckster in the movie, maybe a Volare with rich corithian leather Boss Boss de plane de plane in reality.

Edited by Walker - 09 Sep 2021 at 7:58pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:10pm
Chrysler had a station wagon in the late 60's/early 70's they called a "suburban", GM called theirs a "panel" at the time. i think i remember  that Chrysler did have a BIG station wagon in the 70's, then there was a Dodge Monaco SW, there was a Fury SW, a plymouth belvadere sw, about all brands had them back then. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:54am
the wagon queen family truckster was a 1979 ford LDT country squire modified by warner brothers studio. 

Edited by Dakota Dave - 10 Sep 2021 at 9:57am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 5:00pm
Chryslers were 'Town and Country's', Dodge was a Monaco, Plymouth was actually a Sport Suburban and GMs Suburban to be was a Carryall until the 70s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:21pm
We scrapped a 1960 Chevy brookwood station wagon at the farm two years ago. It was a interesting design but completely rusted from sitting in the pasture for many years. Hauled off a few Old vehicles cleaning out the pasture. Seemed a shame till I picked them up with the loader from the doors down there was nothing left every thing under the skin just crumpled and fell out.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 10 Sep 2021 at 7:23pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

the wagon queen family truckster was a 1979 ford LDT country squire modified by warner brothers studio. 
OMG !! I do recall a "Country Squire" buggy driven by a classmates mother in 1971 SmileEmbarrassed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 10:22pm
believe the International was a carry-all?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:44am
IH were Travel-alls
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 7:00am
Chevrolet had station wagons also.
Neighbor I worked for bought a Buick station wagon for his wife.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm
Chevy Kingswood & Townsman, Buick Estate, Olds Vista Cruiser, Pontiac Safari.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 3:34pm
In the 70's ever brand had a station wagon as one of the body choices to pick from in most body lines. I don't know if the Lincoln line from Ford had one but Cadillac from GM did. Confused But I don't think I ever saw one with seats in the back, all put together as a hearse Cry to haul coffins. Or maybe just not enough really rich people here that could afford the last ride being in a Lincoln, so everybody settled for riding in a Caddy.LOL

Then you hooligans started adding pickup trucks to station wagons. LOL  Until now I would of said a station wagon was always a on a car running gear, Confused but I guess a cargo van with seats is the same as a station wagon. 

Wink So when did they start putting windows and seats in cargo vans like the Chevy Carryall or the IH Travel All that they competed with station wagons?

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:40pm
Chev Carryall and IH Travelall both started around the same time in the 1950s, big business for railroads, utilities and construction companies for Personnel haulers.  Expanded to Farmers then to Industries for again Personnel wagons in large factories or expansive farms needing to keep heads under roof, then expanded again to the general public.

Panel trucks have been around since the late 20s, these were a expansion of that theory with more seating and more doors, early Carryalls only had THREE passenger Doors, Driver on L and Two Passenger on R.

Many manufacturers also had Sedan Delivery CARS, would LOVE to get my hands on a undisturbed 55 Chevy model.

Edited by DMiller - 11 Sep 2021 at 5:41pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Chev Carryall and IH Travelall both started around the same time in the 1950s, big business for railroads, utilities and construction companies for Personnel haulers.  Expanded to Farmers then to Industries for again Personnel wagons in large factories or expansive farms needing to keep heads under roof, then expanded again to the general public.

Panel trucks have been around since the late 20s, these were a expansion of that theory with more seating and more doors, early Carryalls only had THREE passenger Doors, Driver on L and Two Passenger on R.

Many manufacturers also had Sedan Delivery CARS, would LOVE to get my hands on a undisturbed 55 Chevy model.

That is an AWESOME pic ClapClap !! 
I've yet to read /see that Dodge/Plymouth offered a station wagon in this era Shocked .
I'm going to "assume" that MOPAR did NOT offer an "ELCAMINO/RANCHERO version of a "caruk" ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:59pm
Closest 'thing' they had was a Omni sized "Rampage" that was utterly Useless.  SOME old Valiant wagons had a Sliding Rear Roof where could place oversized materials in the slot.  Was a Take away from the Studebaker absorb.  Stude had their own and yes BOTH leaked like a sieve.  Buddy of mine had the Valiant series, uncertain what year anymore.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:27pm

Edited by steve(ill) - 11 Sep 2021 at 8:30pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
i had a Caddy hearse and a Buick estate wagon (still have it), used the Buick to pull my grain to the elevator for years. tough old bird...pulled 300 bu gravity flows full of grain with it. and before you ask/say...no i didn't have a problem stopping it either. 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:27am
Chrysler corp had wagons back in the 50's. I'm just finishing up a Nova Wagon for Jo Jo. Her new "grocery getter".  Powered by a late model Vortec Chevy V6. She'll be able to git' to the market quick n' back home again.   Thumbs Up

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:29am
Chevy Vortec V6 will get her around just fine....  LOL!

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:52am
Nice installation, Steve!!  Jo Jo will probably keep those two Webers breathin' hard!! LOL

Looks like it'll be a mite tight for the manifolds or headers.Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:00am
Phil,
Manifolds fit in pretty nice. I used a exhaust manifold from a Bravada for the drivers' side, and a Forklift manifold for the passengers side. It was like they were made for it!  Had to do quite a bit of research to see what would fit, but got it done. Yale uses the same engine in their forklifts. That right side manifold was the ticket!   Thumbs Up
Steve@B&B
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 12:07pm
I figured by now one of you YouTube gurus would have posted James Gregory’s bit on station wagons. I haven’t found it yet but I’ve been laughing for 2 days trying to find it.
Maximum use of available resources!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:48pm
Thank you for the PICS of the vintage MOPAR wagons Steve SmileSmile !!
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:57pm
Many decades ago a friend of mine bought a used 1948 Ford "woody" station wagon. It was a great car and it would be a show piece today.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
My wife was watching Beverly Hillbillies last night and good example of the Dodge utility truck came up from Beverly Caterers. One of the early ones in black and white yet so my guess is 60 to 62 model. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic