This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Splitting Tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Larsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splitting Tractor
    Posted: 31 May 2024 at 5:21pm
I need to replace the rear main seal on the engine of my WD45 gas.  At first glance, it looks like it comes apart at the differential where the engine side rails attach.  I have the rear main seal, and the seal for the hydraulic system.  I also have an oil pan gasket. Do you make the break between the clutch and transmission, or is there another place that works better?  Are there any "gotcha's" or things that I should be aware of as I start this adventure?
Thanks,
J. Larsen
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 7:45pm
You will split the tractor at the back of engine to transmission casting sliding the front and rear apart. Either block the front end solid and roll the rear away from the front, or use a bridle on the front half to keep it from rotating on the front axle trunion and stay upright while using a gantry and hoist. 

I don't separate them with a floor jack but rather jacks for the purpose that bolt onto the frame rails, or a rolling gantry crane. The rear half is usually a large floor jack and blocking remaining stationary. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:59pm
WD45 has frame rails. No need to split anything. Do you have a service manual? It has a good explanation.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

WD45 has frame rails. No need to split anything. Do you have a service manual? It has a good explanation.

Me too. Just pull the right frame-rail off. Then the engine will come out without stands and jacks.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 5:41am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Me too. Just pull the right frame-rail off. Then the engine will come out without stands and jacks.

... and much safer than splitting the tractor, that always has the potential of falling.

By pulling the engine, it allows you to put it on a stand and tip it over to work on the oil pan, which is much easier and allows you to seal things up better and easier.

If you have a rear oil pan leak (it may not be the rear seal), you should definitely watch the video in the Knowledge Base section of this forum. 

Edited by WF owner - 01 Jun 2024 at 5:45am
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 5:54am
I pull the engine with both side rails on slide engine front then tilt to the side it will come out the top of the rails take front pulley of first makes it easy
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 9:59am
I had my WD45 engine out a few times. Never needed to split or remove any frame rails.
I narrow front is easier than a wide. The wide from has the front axle support that's slightly in the way, but it works.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2024 at 10:14pm
J. Larsen,
 As mentioned you can pull the engine with both frame rails in place. I remember when I had just completed my WD45 project (another thread on here) and I was not pleased with the oil pressure and myself for not doing a better job on the oil pump review and refurb.
 I had the engine out and upside down in about 2 hours. And that is the best way to work on your rear oil seals too. 

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Jun 2024 at 10:29pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2024 at 7:54am
Maybe I should add that when I had both of mine apart I also removed the bell-housing and torque tubes to do the hand-clutches. Hence the frame rail removal. Never been lucky enough to just pull the engine!

Sugarmaker, good to see you around again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic