This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spent some time in the engine room

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spent some time in the engine room
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:39pm
Thanks to mlking I was able to spend some quality time back in the engine room with the 400 cubic inch 226 gas engine dubbed the name "timebomb". Since the valve springs dont coil bind untill over 600 lift and the pistons dont hit the valves . I am anxiously awaiting a set of rockers from jeff to arrive this week . Ohio Larry we are going to have some more valve lift. I am ready to go back to the flow bench with my 3 inch head and see where she falls off since my 3 and 4  inch heads flow identical numbers.
Sponsored Links

Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:48pm

Snatch up a digital camera and make us a short youtube movie when you get it running.  I'm anxious to see how much it puts out and at what rpm.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:55pm
well I have been taking a few pics through the build . kurt hammil puts out that his engines are capable of 175 horses . So we are in hopes of  200 but realistic  flow data with some computer software says 160 hp at 2100 engine rpms. We will just have to wait and see if its a terd or a bear.
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:19pm
I would really like to see how long this engine is going to last...hopefully short run times are in order...lol.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:21pm
300 ft at a time . you think the name is fitting then.
MikeB (SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:45pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9wzSEEVGws

Here is one at supposedly 400 plus cubic inches pulling at I would say 3000RPM's.
He usually shows at Orange Spectaclar in Hutchinson Minnesota. Maybe be some of the
Minnesota guys know him. I think they own a salvage yard NE of Minneapolis. Their used to be a guy from around the Wisconsin Dells area that would show up in Hutchinson with an ustyled WC  with a custom wide front rack and pinion front end and an external dry sump oil system that pulled at 5,000 rpms. He had a 4-1/8 bore with stock stroke.
Krazy Kurt is claiming 175 ponies these day's? I was thinking around 140 a couple of years ago. Are you gettin some of Murphy's 1.85 ratio roller rockers? That's quite a jump from the 1.488 stockers.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:58pm
Mike does larry wright have anything to do with that you tube tractor? Yes we are going to use jeffs rockers . I havent yet found a stock rocker over 1.47 and have found some as low as 1.2  actual ratio of coarse some a worn more than others . and for those who are wondering yes we played with geometry also.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 3:04pm
I have asked this before, but.....

What rpm range do you intend to run consistently, 2100?  Or, do you intend to get on up in the range for different classes/divisions?

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 3:15pm

Mark it depends on where it runs the speed really.  We didnt pull any last year but the year before we turned a 310 cubic inch motor a few time 5200 . We did it once in a class with youre dad but the tires I had on it wasnt working. With the rules changing to 3000  max rpms I hope 2100 will do .  We put all light stuff as possible in the motor so if we needed the rpms it would .

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 3:21pm
What "3000 max rpm" rule?  I'm behind on rules, always have been.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 3:25pm
Most insurance companies that policy advents in antique tractor pulling have for a few years pushed for it and the natpa has done it along with others . Verry  few letting you let them eat anymore.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 4:41pm
I would like to see some pictures of the bottom end on this thing. I like built engines.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Mike does larry wright have anything to do with that you tube tractor? Yes we are going to use jeffs rockers . I havent yet found a stock rocker over 1.47 and have found some as low as 1.2  actual ratio of coarse some a worn more than others . and for those who are wondering yes we played with geometry also.

No, Larry Wright doesn't have anything to do with that one.  Its Rod Mondor out of Forest Lake MN. got his own little allis junk yard from what i can remember. i asked him about this, i believe i told you about it too mitch, pretty sure he runs over 400 cubes, 4,000 rpm, but my brain cant remeber for sure what he said. Lol 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 5:07pm
Ok I just new Larry was working on one also.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Most insurance companies that policy advents in antique tractor pulling have for a few years pushed for it and the natpa has done it along with others . Verry  few letting you let them eat anymore.

So, to clarify the situation.  This is an NATPA rule?  That no tractor can turn over 3000 rpm?

This applies to the Outlaws around TN/KY too?

You know, this is the very reason I quit antique tractor pulling.  Rules.  Not the lack of them but the rank proliferation of them.  I started pulling in 1982, and have never pulled two years straight under the same rules.  It always seemed that after we built a competitive tractor, some rule was passed against it.

These days I prefer farming with tractors and building good driving antique vehicles.  To Hades with rules, I make my own!

WD's just do it better.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 7:51pm
I want to see some pics and video of that thing on the dyno.  I could run all day @ 5000 with that cam and a stock 45 stroke.  Bring it up to Ohio this summer and pull the modified farm stock classes around here.  There are alot of BIG Ollie's and Minnies that show up around here all the time.
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 8:38pm
Larry I know theys stiff competition in ohio . Theys some tuff olivers and molines that float around and down in this area also. I dont think the tractor will have any promblem running higher rpms .I just dont know that the head can support the airflow demands of the piston to continue to make hp at that rpm . But who knows sometimes wheel speed is where it is.
MikeB (SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeB (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:28pm
Carl I think your right Rod Mondor from Forest Lake MN. They have about (3) of them 400 cu in WC's. As for the RPM's its the cast iron flywheel becoming hand grenades over 3000 RPM. You guys are crazy if your spinning the stock flywheels even with scattershields at 5000 rpms and that's why most pulling oranizations likmit the rpms.
I read about a 930 Case running about 4000 rpms sawing itself in half in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and he had a scattershield. It only takes one accident like this and in my case the closest transfer sled to me is already 80 miles away. Mitch when you get your new rockers I'm curious if they will contact the valve 1/16" offset like the stock Allis
rockers do. The service manuals are addament that you have the offset as it contacts the valve tip and i'm not sure why. Also your findings on the rocker arms are a great free horsepower tip for anyone overhauling an Allis engine. Check those rocker arms!
A used rocker arm that only has a 1.2:1 ratio is a cylinder giving up a lot of power. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 7:42am
Originally posted by MikeB (SD) MikeB (SD) wrote:

Carl I think your right Rod Mondor from Forest Lake MN. They have about (3) of them 400 cu in WC's. As for the RPM's its the cast iron flywheel becoming hand grenades over 3000 RPM. You guys are crazy if your spinning the stock flywheels even with scattershields at 5000 rpms and that's why most pulling oranizations likmit the rpms.
I read about a 930 Case running about 4000 rpms sawing itself in half in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago and he had a scattershield. It only takes one accident like this and in my case the closest transfer sled to me is already 80 miles away. Mitch when you get your new rockers I'm curious if they will contact the valve 1/16" offset like the stock Allis
rockers do. The service manuals are addament that you have the offset as it contacts the valve tip and i'm not sure why. Also your findings on the rocker arms are a great free horsepower tip for anyone overhauling an Allis engine. Check those rocker arms!
A used rocker arm that only has a 1.2:1 ratio is a cylinder giving up a lot of power. 
 Mike I was hoping that would go right over the heads of some. This motor has been a natpa champion in the past just trying to resolve some of the issues it had when it was.The most obvious one was it looking like a steam engine at the end of the track .
NCWC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:24am
Im interested to see some of these pictures and to see this beast on a dyno when it is completed, Email them if you dont mind joshuascronce1@live.com. Sounds like you have done your homework on the heads flowing the same numbers. What kind of valve combinations are you running? With .600 lift sure seems like that is alot of wasted valve movement. Once my heads get to .500 lift the flow numbers dont get any better but maybe im overlooking something. You are building these these engines in Tennessee?  
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:26am

I can understand the rpm limiting thing. I saw on RFDTV once, think it was from a show in Mississippi where a G6 MM came unglued big time. The slow motion showed some pretty big pieces flew pretty far.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:53am
To clarify, we are running a custom steel flywheel and scattershield.  I would agree 100% on the stock cast iron flywheels being a hazard at over 3000 rpm.  We knew we were shooting for over 5000 to start with.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by NCWC NCWC wrote:

Im interested to see some of these pictures and to see this beast on a dyno when it is completed, Email them if you dont mind joshuascronce1@live.com. Sounds like you have done your homework on the heads flowing the same numbers. What kind of valve combinations are you running? With .600 lift sure seems like that is alot of wasted valve movement. Once my heads get to .500 lift the flow numbers dont get any better but maybe im overlooking something. You are building these these engines in Tennessee?  
  you may want to reread what i posted on the .600 lift.
NCWC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:14pm
Ok I got ya now .. miss read that one.. I was overlooking something like I said lol

Edited by NCWC - 21 Jan 2010 at 12:16pm
B,C,CA,RC,WC,Unstyled WC,WD,WD-45,B puller, WC Puller,WD Puller, WD-45 Puller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic