This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some progress on the 1 Ton GMC,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some progress on the 1 Ton GMC,,,
    Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 8:27am
 Well Guys,,, been working some on special projects and the 1988 Jimmy I bought bout a month ago. Got the 454 purring like a kitten and and after some tweaks and promises, finally got it to move of it's own power and it will Move out  right smartly,,,,!!
 The tranny kinda concerns me as there is a slight hesitation when first put in forward gear,,,I'm hoping maybe trans oil filter as it has been a rig welder's trk forever and prolly has not been serviced in several years,,,,,? It does change gears good going down the road tho,,,,Clap
 I got the driver side door and fender replaced and installed except for that dang heavy spring that keeps the door from swinging closed,,,tried for two hours and never got it to stay in!! I've got my favorite brick and claw hammer ready to start hammering out what few dents on the body and hopefully paint the door jambs this weekend and body next week,,,,,Clap
 Caught a steel bed on a good sale on the Marketplace couple weeks ago and my sandblaster friend is susspossed to come by and brush blast the trk frame and bed to get some shiny black paint on both. The bed is 18" shy of being as long as I want it to be so will add that 18" in the front of it.
 My question to the gurus is, I am going to install a "hide-a-way" ball for a gooseneck in the bed and am curious as a friend told me the ball for the Gooseneck has to be in front of rear axle but did not know how far in front of axle,,Anyone know for sure?

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 8:35am
most sites will tell you to put it directly over the axle, to 4 inches in front of the axle... depends on the FRAME and what is BELOW... you may have to adjust to fit... Nobody recommends Behind the axle.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 12:48pm
Joe when I worked at the trailer dealership we always tried to shoot for 4.5” infront of axle centerline.
Can’t always be done with a flatbed.
Depends on how long the bed sticks beyond the frame.
I always liked the ball down in a box on flatbeds. Gives a nice place to store chains.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 2:47pm
Agree on the 4.5", is where all my own ever were.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 8:43pm
There's three concerns of hitch placement.

First is the centerline-  it's obvious, but make sure the hitchpoint is on centerline.

Second is height.  The advantage of a gooseneck, is that your hitch point can be significantly LOWER than a 5th wheel, and as a result, you'll experience less tow vehicle roll, pitch, and yaw reaction from the trailer's motion.

Third is position with respect to the wheelbase.  Placing the hitch point directly over the rear axle means that when you load the trailer, all hitch load goes directly on the REAR axle, and NONE of it (in a static state) will appear on the steer axle.  It is usually preferable to have SOME of the tow vehicle's hitch weight to appear on the steer axle- it improves stability, as an unladen steer, with a heavily laden drive, results in a disproportionate spring load, and a nose-high condition of the tow vehicle.  This opens the tow vehicle to unstable dynamics on the road.  Remember- the vehicle was designed to carry load on both axles, not just the rear.

Having the hitch point adjustable fore-aft is a good thing, just watch out for situations where the trailer nose might tag the back of the truck cab.

Edited by DaveKamp - 04 Aug 2023 at 8:44pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 5:38am
Anybody ever notice dave is like scary smart about a lot of things?
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:40am
Uh huh. I enjoy reading though sometimes too deep for me. Keep it up Dave!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 8:07am
A important point DK makes is setting the pin directly over the rear axle, another is on acceleration or under torque conditions will UNLOAD the steer even more if balanced above the drive axle as the truck will rise and shift that point slightly behind the axle.   Similar to too high/heavy a connection to a tractor tow bar, tractor wheel stands.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Anybody ever notice dave is like scary smart about a lot of things?

OH, I sure do,,,!!!And most times I might even word my questions to tickle Dave's curiosity and get him to respond.ClapClap
Plus he's a good friend and always willing to help us,,,,,Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 7:10am
I’ve noticed Dave is quite smart also noticed he’s quite helpful.
I’ve learned a lot from him in the last year. First on our well filtration system and then in on the old machine tools.
A very helpful guy.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 10:02am
 A bit of an update on the One Ton,,,I'm getting her ready to paint the door jambs and hood edges hopefully TODAY,,,,!!
 THe guy that painted "Ole Red" for me is who is going to paint the trk on a "Trading Work" agreement and is how I like to do my work outs,,,,great for all concerned too,,,!!
 I will paint the jambs etc and than take the trk to him and leave it for painting the body in his shop,,,,,,can't wait,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 11:13pm
 Well,, I got a bit of an update on the GMC one ton. Got up early(5:30) and finished up the masking on the door jambs about 8 Am,,,,,Clap
 Blew off one more time as the dang wind had started blowing as the time passed,, Thought I was gonna have to postpone when the wind suddenly died down so I started to get the Primer Sealer and paint ready for a good Shooting Match!! Shot two coats of 
the primer sealer to coverage and called her good for painting the door jambs. I'm using Urethane single stage cause I had a gallon of Porsche Red rat holed and forgot what project I bought it for so it became a good donor.Wink
 It was touch and go on the reducer and hardner as the mixing part of label was not too clear but my luck was holding great as the flowout was doing great with no orange peel,,,,yea!!!
 Gonna load it on my trailer first thing to take to the same Dude that painted the 55 for me.
 Trying to get all my chit caught up  as I have a trip headed back to Thad's country this weekend,,,,,,,,ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 6:42am
  OK, I feel some like ole Shameless "might" be breathlessly waiting on a progress report on the old One Ton I been working on,,,,,, My friend, who also painted "Ole Red" has done a number on the 1988 GMC One Ton ,,,,and from where I'm sitting,,,it looks many wonderfuls,,,,!!!! The paint is Poly-urethane in Porsche Red that I had bought for another of my Forgotten projects that must of fallen by the way side,,,,Ya'll know how us senior folks tend to be quite forgettful at times,,,,LOLLOL
 Anyway,,,,the painter got her done this past weekend and it sure is pretty!!!Clap
 The GF has agreed (Wink) to let me go visit my old homestead in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks to do some re-assembling,,,,, of grill and a new to me "Cow Catcher" I had bought at a yard sale some time back plus mount the flat bed on it,,,,,
 Chit, I cannot find my USB cord to download the pics from IPhone to the laptopWink,,, I'll see if THad can do that for me,,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 11:34am
Let’s see if we can get some pics of the Razorback on here.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 11:50am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 12:22pm
Always liked Red
However love Blue!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 1:20pm
OMG !!! That thing will GLOW IN THE DARK..... No more JOE "sneaking up" on ya !! Wink

and whats the story about the "GF" allowing him to go work ?? Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 5:12am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

OMG !!! That thing will GLOW IN THE DARK..... No more JOE "sneaking up" on ya !! Wink

and whats the story about the "GF" allowing him to go work ?? 
alt="Clap" title="Clap" />

I don’t know about that GF deal either?
I sure hope no one’s been pickin at him about havin to get permission to go do anything.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 8:50am
Dave knows everything about everything. I can't comprehend how he got there. There's not enough time in life to learn all he knows. This is a compliment not a dig.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 6:21pm
Joe....was that an old "Gentleman Jim" truck? sure looks like the paint scheme before you painted it red! and....and....your GF??? you been holding out on us? oh yeah...you could puts a tool box ahead of the flatbed, see alot of people doing that now-a-days. hope that truck is diesel...or you'll need a credit card at the many gas pumps!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

and whats the story about the "GF" allowing him to go work ?? 
alt="Clap" title="Clap" />

I don’t know about that GF deal either?
I sure hope no one’s been pickin at him about havin to get permission to go do anything.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 11:31pm
Well,,It shore did seem that I noticed a gleam in the person's eye sitting across from me at lunch today,,,and,,,,and,,,he "IS" the very same person that introduced me to her, way back in January,,,,,,,
 besides,,,,,,UMMmmm,,,,never mind,,,,,,

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 5:35pm
I was gonna make an allusion to Lou's post about a wobble wagon, but, nah, I'll let it pass...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 6:17pm
Joe... your beating around the bush !!!  Wink ...Let the cat out of the bag !!!  Clap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 10:12pm
 Well, Steve,,,,ole Thad is doing quite nicely all by hisself,,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 5:59pm
   Well,,,I'm back to catching up on the one ton, as I went and picked it up at the painter's and drove it home about 50 MPH as the frigging speedometer is stuck at 50 MPH,,,I have a feeling I was going bout 98 MPH when the speedometer froze at 50,,,,,Big smileBig smile
  I modified the mufflers/tailpipes from a single exhaust to  a dual exhaust system with some mellow sounding Glass packs,,ClapClap  I used most of the dual exhaust system I saved from  Jamie's 2010 Camero when we installed a whole new system from the headers back to the tips,,,looks great and sounds even better,,!! ( It'l prolly be getting 20 MPG now,)ClapClap
 Now I'm setting the flatbed on the frame,,,,, but looks like it might be too high off the frame,,?? Is there an accepted height the bed should be from the frame?
 The PO had a welding bed on it before but he torch cut it off the frame so there is no measurement to follow. Any comments,,? 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:46pm
4-6" clearance of Tires to any form of Bed structure, UNLOADED.  Square to chassis from there.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,,I'm back to catching up on the one ton, as I went and picked it up at the painter's and drove it home about 50 MPH as the frigging speedometer is stuck at 50 MPH,,,I have a feeling I was going bout 98 MPH when the speedometer froze at 50,,,,,Big smileBig smile
  I modified the mufflers/tailpipes from a single exhaust to  a dual exhaust system with some mellow sounding Glass packs,,ClapClap  I used most of the dual exhaust system I saved from  Jamie's 2010 Camero when we installed a whole new system from the headers back to the tips,,,looks great and sounds even better,,!! ( It'l prolly be getting 20 MPG now,)ClapClap
 Now I'm setting the flatbed on the frame,,,,, but looks like it might be too high off the frame,,?? Is there an accepted height the bed should be from the frame?
 The PO had a welding bed on it before but he torch cut it off the frame so there is no measurement to follow. Any comments,,? 

Set it on there and give us a peek.
How high above the tires does it sit?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:56pm
By far Easeist way to determine, How much travel distance, Axle Tube to frame mounted Axle Bumper Stops?  Add Two inches.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 8:29pm
 Ok,,Here's the measurements,,,,

TOP OF TIRE to BTM of bed= 7 1/2"
  TOP OF AXLE TO BTM OF BED =24"
  TOP OF FRAME TO BTM OF BED = 9"

"BTM OF BED" IS DEFINED AS BTM OF THE 2" X 2" X 3/16" square tubing the bed frame is made of.

I had originally thought of drilling a bunch of bolt holes and bolt the bed on with 2" X 3/8" strap but have decided to put enough gorillas on there,,,, it ain't ever gonna come off,,,,Big smileClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic