This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowthrower bearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcunard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowthrower bearing
    Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:59pm
Hi,
A newbie here and to Allis equipment.

Recently had an auger bearing self-destruct on an early 1970's, 40" tractor mounted thrower. No model number tags, etc. It is yellow, single stage, with a white chute. The side bearing is a 3 bolt flange, 1" shaft. I was able to remove the drive gear and key. Any recommendations on how to pull the inner race, identify the part # needed, etc. The set screw appears to be permanently in place on both bearings.

Bonus would be help on how to remove the auger itself when the non-driven bearing allen screw is stuck.

Any hints welcomed! Greg
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 7:30pm

Removal of stuck allen screw...

I heat up the screw with propne torch, then whack a 'sacrifical' allen key into it.I use the next size bigger,lightly grind it down, just a tad to make it 'just fit'. Hold it with vice grips, then hit with hammer,keeping down pressure on the allen key, 'snap' rotate the vicegrip/key combination  and see if it moves. Yes ?, great, go back a tad, then 1/4 turn out.repeat as necessary to get it out. Some keys will have been 'locktighted' in ,so heat helps.You might destroy 2 or 3 allen keys built I've always gotten stuck ones unstuck this way.
As for the inner race removal. I've use a 'pickle fork' and several open end wrenches.Again, a good anount of heat helps, then whack the fork in to move the race a bit.Use the wrenches as 'spacers' then whack the pickle fork again to move the race some more.This is how I get drive pulleys off engines as they have to be pushed from the engine side, pullers will only destroy the $80 tin pulleys....
As to the bearing number...you know the shaft size( 1" ) ,and have the 'cage' it mount into so any bearing supply place can figure that out.

Heat and patience go a long, long way to fixing this kind of stuff !!
A trained octopus to hold all the tools helps too !
hth
jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
gcunard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcunard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:31am
Ah, yes, have utilzed the heat/liquid wrench/whack method myself on occasion.  Will the auger come out with the non-drive bearing attached? (knowing the drive bearing is, um, already out.....  Will give me a tad more room to whack.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic