This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap on drive-not quite 3/4 "

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap on drive-not quite 3/4 "
    Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 6:48pm
I thought I might get a better chance for a reply on this discussion section than others. Hope its okay to ask here.

I picked up some some large snap-on sockets (largest is 2 1/4 inches) at an auction. Thought they were 3/4" drive but they're not. They are slightly smaller (a 3/4 " ratchet won't fit) The info ring on the socket reads: Snap-on 2 1/4 LDH-722 USA

Anyone with an explanation?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 6:57pm
you better check for a burr or twist in your ratchet... try a 3/4 inch extension.. should fit.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 7:04pm
I had a couple sockets that someone used on a PRESS to push bearings into position... The FACE of the square drive was mushroomed about .020 inch and would not fit a ratchet... but that was only a COUPLE sockets in the bunch.. cleaned them up with a burr grinder.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 7:16pm
Check for damage as already said, a 3 sided file works to clean the corners if they're pushed in. Yes, I'm 1 of them mentioned that's used sockets to press things into place. 
 There were some 5/8" drive socket sets years ago if they're visibly smaller than 3/4" but larger than 1/2".  But I haven't seen any in years.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
RLBPA1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLBPA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 7:28pm
Looks like back in the day snapon made some large sockets in 5/8 drive

Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2024 at 7:31pm
You're all correct. Just checked and it's a function of burring. Never seen that before on mine. I guess because I treat mine with some respect. LoL

Edited by Dale - 24 Jun 2024 at 7:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic