This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snake bit kitten

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snake bit kitten
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:38pm
Our new kitten got snake bit .  His front paw is big as a tennis ball. Other than that he appears to be ok
      About a hour after the cat got bit  my wife decided to mow the tall grass close to where the cat was playing when he got bit.  You guessed it.   She mulched  that big old copperhead .    All that was left of that bad boy was too  small too tell it was a copperhead
but she got a good look at it before it got under the mower.   She knows her  snakes.
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
Now it's a good snake!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:09pm
Dang it, if the Misses would have a little more carefull and just lopped off the head, you two could’a enjoyed scrambled eggs and grilled 🐍 for lunch!!
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:25pm
I've bushogged a couple rattlesnakes . Always wondered why the black snakes get out of the way and the rattlesnakes don't ?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:30pm
Ken: My wife  (who is a DVM primarily for small pets) Wants to know what your local Vet did for the kitten?
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 6:42pm
I’ve killed 3 copperheads in the last few days. Luckily none at home.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:23pm
Paul B
     We can't afford vet bills for every cat around here that gets snake bit. Anti Venom ain't exactly cheap. Wife is a pretty good vet . Self Taught by experience. Sometimes it's best to wait and see. So far so good.  Cat has a swollen paw. Still purrs loudly when comforted. The little guy seems comfortable and is sleeping off the effects of the venom. He will be OK
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 6:43am
As the song by Johnny Cash said. "Get tough or die"  The kitten has to feel miserable.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 7:11am
I don't know How Miserable.   Not miserable enough to not be playing with a live  red wasp with his good foot.    You know the old saying.  "Curiosity Killed the Cat"
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 7:15am
Sounds like he may have used one of his 9 lives! We don't have any poisonous snakes in our area. Kitten pictures would be good too!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:27am
You can bet it wasn't a Copperhead that bit the kitten or by lack of proper fast treatment, it would have died by now, That's a FACT. The venom from a Copperhead is more than enough to kill something the size of a kitten very quickly. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 5:53pm
Maybe kitty hasn't learned his lesson about playing with wasps...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 11:29pm
I was chainsawing up a tree today. Last nights wind storm partially uprooted it from fencerow & laid it down onto the edge of our winter wheat field.
Anyways, I was careful to check for any early snakes that might be sunning themselves on south side of trees around the fencerow. I was thankful not to see any today.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
I have a no tolerance policy w/snakes. If found within 300 yards of house, he's a dead snake. (no matter make or model) If found outside that perimeter, he is safe, unless he gets grumpy with me. Some claim we have copperheads around here, but I have never seen one, nor been shown a dead one someone killed. I'm not convinced people around here knows what one really is.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:01pm
I don't kill snakes unless they are poisonous.

If I find one in the  barn, I grab then up and evict them.  Tongue
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:42pm
Yep lou, you're in their range land.
We don't have em around here in WI, but we have plenty of other ones.  Used to be a bounty on them around here and I hunted them.  After a few years they figured out that we just brought the tails in (that was all that was required) and turned the snake itself loose.  I never figured out how long it took them to grow em back.
The one snake I won't kill except by accident (mower) is a bull snake.  They kept other snakes out of the barn and earned their keep in mice and rats.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

You can bet it wasn't a Copperhead that bit the kitten or by lack of proper fast treatment, it would have died by now, That's a FACT. The venom from a Copperhead is more than enough to kill something the size of a kitten very quickly. 

I’ve seen lots of critters get copperhead bit but never seen one die. Adult copperheads aren’t all that potent.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
Im with Lou,, if it is bigger than a worm and even LOOKS like a snake, it is dead meat.. Mower deck is my main armament it if it close !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:53pm
now that little cat let us examine his sore foot it looks like a venomous  snake bit him.  Two puncture wounds about 5/8th inch apart. Why he keeps checking the place where the new Honda mulched that copperhead is beyond us. Three or 4 times a day . Beats all.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:35pm
Best wishes for the kitty.

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:24pm
few years back, a friend of mine's son was killed by a timber rattler. He was at the family camp north central Pa, went to get firewood for the camp fire in near dark. he died before they could get him to a medical facility. I don't like snakes
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Best wishes for the kitty.

May your kitty, have a fast recovery. As for the snake and any of them belly crawlers, to heck with them.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm
Lou, sorry to learn of your friend losing his son.
Ken, hope the kitty makes a full recovery.
The risk of mortality from a venomous snake bite is related to the size of the snake, whether it has had time to regenerate a full dose of venom after biting something else, and whether it was able to inject all of its venom into the victim as well as the location of the bite. If I see a venomous snake I do my best to eliminate it. Until you can get to a facility that has anti-venom about the only treatment is to slow the spread of the venom and there are several schools of thought on that.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:51pm
My mom got bit by a coral snake while we were camping at a state park in Texas 52 years ago.  Never saw anyone get so sick so fast!  Luckily campground neighbors who we had made friends with were from Texas and jumped into instant action.  Put mom in their car, yelled at Dad to get in or get left behind, & left the campground spraying rock behind their car.  I was 13 at the time & their daughter was 13.  We were left in charge of the younger kids till the adults returned.  Scary time!  Still remember it over half a century ago.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:41am
killed our first rattler of the year yesterday. Heard dog barking different went to see and found a small one. Only about 24" Few years ago we had a cat get bit n face by a rattler, 600$ vet bill later.  
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 7:26am

The growth on this calves flank is what I think came from a snake bite. I thought it would go away with time but it took a band to remove it. Calf never slowed down. Looks great now
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic