This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Block V8 Conversions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Block V8 Conversions
    Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:20pm
Has anybody her successfully installed a V8 in a tractor, any brand motor, any brand tractor.  Just wondering what people have come up with.
Sponsored Links

John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:46pm
All the time and all kinds. I have seen V8s in WC,WD and WD45's. H's and M's and even the lowly 8N had the Funk comversion. It is the simplest in a tractor with a frame. But there was a very nice AC B with a V8 in it. You are only limited by your pocketbook and imagination. I have a 1950 WD with a Chevy V6 in it.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 6:58pm
I have never done it but have seen some nice conversions. The Funk flathead V8 looks nice in an 8N. I have seen pictures of a 2 cylinder JD converted to a V8 diesel. The only problem with that one was they used a 350 GM diesel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZafyxLQuo
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 7:05pm
And here is an Orange V8 conversion. Can you say respirator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKRumASmVA
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 7:09pm
One of the nicest ones I have seen (only pics) was a Farmall Supmer M wide front with 345 International engine, although I don't think much of those motors.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 7:20pm
my favorite, real clean job, from the GOTO 2000

wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:33am
One person I know bought a D17 with a 350 chevy in it, the two that built it used a diesel frame to have enough room for the motor, but finished it looks about like it came off the assembly line.
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:32am
Here's a WD45 with a V8 in it.

Here's another one with 8 cylinders!

Edited by John (C-IL) - 17 Jan 2010 at 9:40am
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:39am
I guess when my father was growing up, our neighbors had an RC they were very disappointed in the performance of. These neighbors were/are very creative, and installed a flathead Ford V8 in it. I think they ran it quite a while that way, and it had a good road gear then as well. We are still neighbors with one of the brothers, and he is a great guy with a lot of talent for metal and wood working. This must have been a fun neighborhood 40 to 50 years ago. Now there is (are?) only a handful of families out here, and even fewer with young families.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:40am
How do they convert the 2 cylinder JDs with the crank running sideways to a V8?
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:02am
I saw and heard the first tractor John posted above at Hutch, and that tractor was whisper quiet, and a high quality build. Note the hydraulic pump on the pulley flange also. That is a very nice tractor.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 12:36pm
The V-8 JD gets the engine crossways.

The flat head Ford V-8 is a natural for the 8N because the 8N engine was just half of the prewar flat head V-8. May have even shared parts like cam gears, rods, and pistons.

Gerald J.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

The V-8 JD gets the engine crossways.

The flat head Ford V-8 is a natural for the 8N because the 8N engine was just half of the prewar flat head V-8. May have even shared parts like cam gears, rods, and pistons.

Gerald J.

Really??
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

And here is an Orange V8 conversion. Can you say respirator? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKRumASmVA
Hey Charlie,
Is that what is known as a loose track? LOL
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Hey Charlie,
is that what's known as a loose track? LOL

Hey, don't look at me, I have no idea how I did this! Sorry for the double post

Edited by LouSWPA - 17 Jan 2010 at 4:55pm
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:22pm
There was a "G" at the GOTO in Hickory Corners Mi that had a front mount small block Chevy. Transmission was a mix of G and B parts.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:25pm
Just remembered that the was a hot rod "G" with a lawn mower and an OLDS V-8 in the back at the GOTO in Portland 2008. It was on a trailer in the swap meet area.
jzyta View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:29pm

Talk about over powering something!!! Hi Calvin how's it going. I am now in the process of re-assemblying the WD-65 new gaskets etc.. making sure I am free of any leaks. After unning her this summer discovered I needed to replace a bearing in the tranny nothiung serious. The tin work is all painted ...should be ready for plowing this summer.

Jim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm
The V8 JD that I saw used a ring gear on the original crankshaft and drove it with a pinion connected to the engine. The clutch and transmission are all left factory. The engine sets in just like any other, front to back. Lou, I think that could be called a loose track or it might be caused by drought. IDK
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:27pm
Here is one I just came across on youtube:

[TUBE]bRofJ7D5Jyo[/TUBE]
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:29pm
I could have been thinking of one of th concept new generation Deere. For sure the V-8 would need that speed reduction to the two cylinder crank shaft to be able to do any work with the original transmission and final drive gears in any of the JD two cylinder tractor frames.

Its probably been done with a locked differential and with a couple spur gears with crankshaft fore and aft and also crosswise.

Gerald J.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:50pm
this G was at Portland GOTO 2008

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:56pm
WOW!!  That G looks like a cross of something from The Road Warrior and the lawnmower from Moving (Randy Quaid had a push mower with a small block Chevy).
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 7:56pm
Geeez! Now that is what I would classify as a wake up call!
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 8:02pm

Here is Marion(AR)'s V8 B at the 2000 GOTO in Washington, KS:

Jzyta, keep us posted on your WD-65 reassembly.  I enjoyed your progress pics in previous posts on the old forum.

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
codey lowe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codey lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:46pm
This is my grandpa in 2007 at a tractor show in momence illinois, this show has only been around for a few years now and they wanted to try something new so they came up with tractor mud drags. my grandpa has owned this tractor since the early 90's and decided to race this f-20 with a small block chevy 350. i just started putting a 6.5 GM diesel in another f-20.
Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:39pm
I am getting things ready to put a fuel injected ford 300 in an old F-20 parts tractor I have.  Hoping with 38 inch rears and the speed of the truck motor I can ge a decent road speed out of it and maybe a decent puller.
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic