This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sleep apnea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sleep apnea
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:01pm
anyone have one of them tests done? what am I in for? I gotta go in one night next week to have a test done
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:21pm
Had it done a few weeks ago. They put sticky electrodes all over you with wires going from each one to a box. I went in at 8:30 at night, they got me all wired up and I tried to go to sleep about 10:30. Room was similar to a motel room with double bed a bath but they have cameras in there to monitor you. I don't sleep well when I go to a new place and no way was I sleeping well with all those wires hooked all over me. I slept in gym shorts and t-shirt, no stinking pajamas for me, don't even own a pair. About 5:30 the next morning they ran me out of there. Turns out I have mild sleep apnea and O2 sats dropped to 60 at one point, so I had to go back for the same test but using a CPAP this time. So far I haven't gotten a CPAP to use at home, seems they can't get their ducks in a row. Everyone I have talked with that uses a CPAP says it really helps.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:23pm
Told the technician I didn't wear pajamas, I slept naked. She said they were not having any of that.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:41pm
They set me up with a home overnight monitor. When they read it they said I was borderline. Things got real strange at that point. Seemed like the Doc was a QUACK!they were stumbling over what equipment and prices so I basically told them they are up to no good and running some type of scam and I am not sticking around to find out. This was 2 years ago and Soon I will probably search out a different Doc because the snoring is bad.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm
dang....I've slept nekkid since grade school
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:14pm
TMI, Dale!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:24pm
Did the sleep study thing back in 2005 and been on cpap ever since.they do work!!If I dose off with out it, I'll wake my self up as soon as I start snoring.Wouldn't be without it now.Buy the way hope your feelin better bud.Take care of yourself buddy.

Edited by ac45dave - 06 Apr 2018 at 11:30pm
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 12:18am
Keep in mind that the same people that do the test are selling the machines.  Did my test at home kept waking up all wrapped in the cords they said I needed a machine, told them of course I didn't sleep good.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 4:47am
Had first one done 20 years ago.  Only had one since.  You just go to sleep and they monitor you,  I took a pair of swim trunks or shorts to wear.  The Hardest part is getting a mask that works.  I've tried them all and this last one has been the best.    If you have it, wait until start using the machine.  You will have the most vivid, color dreams of your life.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 7:19am
I'm with shamless on night time fashion

your other half holding a pillow over your face while your sleeping doesn't count as sleep apnea
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 7:54am
I was tested a couple of years ago.  Was always tired and needing naps.  Diagnosed with severe obstructive apnea.  Test said I woke on average 42 times per HOUR.  Started using CPAP machine and I feel much better these days.  Its a bit annoying, but I've got a lot more energy.
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:01am
I had a sleep apnea test done about 4 years ago. I had been working my ass off for a few days prior, and hadn't slept much either. So I was dog dead tired when I went in. They wired me up, I slept like a rock all night. They said I didn't need a machine. My wife, my father, and a brother in law all 3 have cpap machines, and wouldn't be without them. My wife will not go anywhere for even one night without taking her machine along. I sleep better for it as well, because if she sleeps good, without snoring and waking up every 5 minutes, Then I sleep better, too. The test is nothing to be concerned about. Go in and sleep. Nothing to it. As far as I know, the tech's computer screen does NOT show what you are dreaming about, Which should let you sleep a little easier, Shameless. My mother had the sleep apnea test done a few months ago. Shw also was determined to need a machine, which upset her, because she said the reason she didn't sleep good during the test, was because the tech administering it kept coming in and waking her up. Well, they tell you before you go to sleep that if your oxygen gets to low, or you goo for X amount of time without taking a breath, they will wake you up. That stuff constitutes not getting good sleep, or sleep apnea. That's why they were waking her up. Long story short, she got a machine, and her first night with it was the first time in forever that she slept all night with out waking up. Darrel
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:02am
I got my first machine in 2001.  they have improved machines and masks, tremendously since then.   I wouldn't be alive today without it.   I also did some homework after meeting my first lung doc.   I changed from him to the guy i have now; 17yrs later, i'm still happy. Good medical supply people are the hardest to find and insurance companies don't make that easy.  I finally found a good one and now, my insurance company made me switch.  New cpap machines are unbelievable in what they can do!http://worldnaturenet.xyz/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52096x5793x&r=41">
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:07am
I have it. I was diagnosed in 2012 but I knew I had it since 2003. It started half-way through my first Iraq deployment. The sleep Dr. said stress and trauma can initiate it. I had a machine but I stopped using a over a year ago because it started to sound like a shop vac. My insurance pays for a new machine every 5 years, so I'm due.

If you get a machine, make sure you buy that machine 'as seen on tv' that will sanitize it. Insurance should also send you a new mask and filters every 3 months.  
1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:15am
Had my 'sleep night' at a hospital and the technician came there from another town.  Found out I do not need the cpap... but I do use a dental device kinda like those things that the football people use, except it goes on both top and bottom teeth...and it holds my lower jaw forward so my air passage stays open.   As some of the others have said, I changed from falling asleep during the day to feeling good without drowsyness...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:37am
Well Shameless, get ready to have some fun getting used to it. Masks have improved tremendously, so that helps. I use a full face mask. My problem with them is they have to run so much pressure that it tends to blow off my face. So you have to keep them adjusted. I also have central apnea so that presents  a whole nother set of issues. When the doctor told the one guy that 60% sat was a mild case of apnea it's time to get another doctor. While not the most severe, it's time to do something about it. Some like me have to use a oxygen generator along with the CPAP. Even with all this I still sleep like crap, but think I would have croaked by now without it. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:51am
Hear a lot of adds now for a implanted device that stimulates you when snoring occurs or when breathing stops - said they are FDA approved and in many cases the machine is not needed as this works better for most . 
 Unsure now - it seems years back i snored a lot - now sleep patterns have changed a lot as been sleeping with 1 light blanket where wife had to have 3 layers of blankets and a electric blanket as one of them 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 9:30am
the initial test was back around 2002 sleped about half the night than they hooked me up to the machine for the other half. I never had a problem sleeping while deployed, sleeping in a tent in the desert was fine just couldn't sleep when I was home. Ive had to retake the test twice for the FAA so I could keep my medical. for them after the 8 hour sleep test they sit you in a dark room in a recliner with nothing to do and stay awake for two hours than take a test. I use mine religiously and get a good nights sleep wake up and don't have any desire to nap during the day.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 9:39am
If you have sleep apnea, a c-pap is a life changing device. I went from sleeping an average of 10 hours a day to about 6&1/2. And that doesn't count the wake up time I used to need. My energy level increased so much it is unbelievable. Maybe to much, (seem to take on more projects than I can ever get done).

Get the test done.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:40am
I can say I had pretty much the same experience as Hubert. They said I stopped breathing about every 20 minutes and tossed and turned like a fish out of water. This was through the Mercy Sleep Clinic in Des Moines. They don't sell or maintain anything, I have an outside company that does that. My wife said I snored like a freight train before. Now with the CPAP she says I don't at all anymore. They check me out once a year and I've been good ever since. The sleep apnea is only half of the problem. My brain doesn't shut down on it's own so I'm stuck with a sleeping pill.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
The Consultator View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Consultator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:58am
Shameless, feeling better, Bud?
1939 Allis-Chalmers "B" restored in 2010- very good condition.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm
I have been sleeping with a CPAP device for 24 years. I am sure I would be dead now without it. I suffocate in the middle of the night and stop breathing. The CPAP keeps me breathing and keeps me sleeping. I just had another sleep study done last week. It was much easier than the one I had 24 years ago. Insurance company made me do another one as it has been so long since my last one . Like others have said the masks have got a lot better.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
They made me do that test last year, nothing to it, you just don't get to sleep during it! course they say 9 out of 10 people who do the test has to have that stupid machine!--big rip-off, but that is another story.
Mine sends data back to them by the cell phone freq. so they can spy on you!--As winter came I got sick and could not use the thing blowing cold air down my lungs.--it dries your mouth out real bad, and mine has the water unit, it don't help. I slobber at night when laying down so the blower pushes the slobber down my lungs, choking me.-- they have no solution for us "slobberers" so I had to slack off using it.
I also have lumps growing on my right lung, and this could be some of the problem.

Shameless!-- go do the test,---It is painless, probably have to watch the ad for the machine while you are there,--then a return test using the machine will be in bout a week to fit you a mask, nose only, or face type.--I had to have face type as when I do go to sleep my jaw drops and the tie up cable they put on me didn't hold so the nose type was out.----Good luck!! thanks; ac fleet
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 1:04pm
Had my first machine over 20 years. Got a new 1 last fall. I cannot sleep without 1. Mask covers nose and mouth. I been using the same brand and type of mask the whole time. My new machine warms the air which is OK cause the dang old gal has to have a freezing cold room to sleep in. You can adjust that setting, also has the option to add a little mixture to the air so I don't wake up with a dry mouth. I'st machine I got this past fall did not put out enough air pressure. They replaced it. Old 1 still works, I'm gonna put it in that ferd powered wanna be camper. Got the test done at the local horsepistol, had to do it 2 times cause the gals computer crashed and all info was lost. Its just like sleeping in a strange bed with no TV. I don't remember being hooked up to wires, must not a been cause I gotta get up half dozen times to P. I do know they had a video camera recording all my moving. Anymore I can only sleep about 6 hrs a night which seems to be enough. It took me a couple of days to get used to. Hoping you get a!one good with this. Sure hoping your a getting better too.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 3:10pm
Been using one since 2003.  I stopped breathing at night, when I would breath, I would shake the house windows.  I snored so bad I woke up with migraines every morning, was terrible!   I still fight the mask, have tried about every one out there but the nose only mask I'm now using so far works the best for me.  I hate having a hose attached to my face at night, but atleast I'm still here, probably would not be if I did not use a CPAP.  Test is uncomfortable, or was for me.  Being wired up and having a gal watch me all night was un nerving to me.  Half way through the night they woke me up, put a mask on me, I've wore one every since.  Get the best machine you can, make sure you get one with a good humidity tank/control.  Good luck!
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 4:52pm
The moisture mix on mine don't do anything for dry mouth. if turned past 2 it fills the mask with more water that I don't need. ---have asked the people it came from and they have NO answers, said they never heard of it.
This one is Phillips brand, thats all they sell around here. ( corp. monopoly !)  thanks; ac fleet
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 7:07pm
THANKS EVERYONE! lots of good info here. what I can't figger out...when the vapor cigs came out, they were all bad because they put excess moisture in your lungs, but the cpap machine is good cuz it puts extra moisture in your lungs! I roll around a lot in bed at night, I gotta pee 1-2 times a night cuz I drinks lots of water. and I can't stand to have anything on or close to my nose while sleeping. I take the test Tuesday night at the butcher shop.
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
Shameless make sure they don't hook you up for a lobotomy instead of a sleep study, they might just cure that darn snow machine fetish you have.

Edited by Darrell G (MN) - 07 Apr 2018 at 9:35pm
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 10:23pm
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:00pm
Shameless I just purtend I'm a spaceman gitting all  hooked up for a trip up yonder and it makes it easy.
Actually I have a Bi-pap machine which has a constant pressure, like maybe 4lbs of air,,,,,,, and then when I quit breathing it senses it and kicks the pressure up to 14 lbs. It does help me sleep,,,,,,,,, but I get so damned  much pain from my back I Don't sleep more than a coupla hours,,,,,,,,,,,,, that and a water pill...............
Good luck................... and a good attitude helps.........
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic